SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrshenderson123

How hard is it to install a central vac system?

mrshenderson
6 years ago

We live in Florida and are moving just a few miles to a newer home (built in 2013) as we need different space for our family, mainly a "teen" space for our kids as well as a guest suite and more suitable cabana bath. There is a lot to love about the new house although there are a few things that we would be losing, namely a large pantry (the new one is just closet size), and the walk in closets in the master (1/3 of the size we have now) and no outdoor jacuzzi (we could build something if we decided to). And, the master bath is smaller than in our current home, but still very nice. We had the inspection yesterday. We discovered the house does not have a central vac system (our current house does). We also discovered, despite having a beautiful outdoor kitchen, the bbq is connected to a 5 gallon portable propane tank. Seems weird to spend $1.25 mil. on a house and have to drag my tank to Home Depot, KWIM? Our current house has an in-ground tank and we never have to think about it which is really nice. I guess my question is - do we price these things out and deduct them from the purchase price of the home and hope the seller gives us the credit? If so, I think the propane is about $2k fix, but how hard is is to install a central vac system after the fact? It may seem minor, but my son has a dust mite allergy and the the central vac system saved us when we started dealing with that. Since we actually started using the vac system in our current house (we never did because the hoses were tattered, but then I replaced everything and started using them) his symptoms are all but gone. I fell conflicted and I would love some opinions. TY!

Comments (7)