SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris_dow

Carpet for a bedroom? Super soft?

KD
6 years ago

I don't actually like carpet but the stuff that came with the house is ready to go and we are not in a position to do floor refinishing, so replacing the carpet seems the best plan for now? (There is hardwood under the carpet but it is not in great shape so needs to be properly refinished.)

However since I don't really like carpet I am entirely out of the loop on what's what and what to look for these days.

The basic facts:

1. Don't want to spend too much because we do hope to get the floors done maybe in the next two years. (The whole house needs to be done, and there's no way to use the house when that is happening due to layout, so we need to be able to leave entirely for some weeks in a row, which is not in the cards ATM due to health issues.)

2. Master bedroom. So not high traffic with dirty shoes (we take our shoes off at the front door) but we do have a 90lb dog to consider. He's pretty good about stuff but, well, he's 90lbs.

3. We really want soft underfoot - we're barefoot a lot in the house and I do exercises on the floor and also there is plenty of sitting on the floor to cuddle the dog, etc. Plus sometimes we have 'Camp out' nights indoors with the kiddo and we use the master bedroom because it has the most floor space.

4. I'm not at all sure on color. It's currently a sort of cream which looks dingy rapidly after cleaning. (I think partly due to the pile.) I'm planning to go gray on the walls (I know it's super popular right now but I've always liked it - I find it calming. The rest of the house is not gray.) Our bedding is white with dark blue. Furniture is currently an espresso black-brown color, don't plan to change that soon but eventually. I know I have to pick from what there is in the line, but I mention it because perhaps some types are more likely than others to have a good color? I'm currently thinking maybe a medium gray or some other neutral? Dark blue seems like it'd show lint like crazy, and our dog is white. So we'd have linty dog-hair covered blue all the time.

Or should we just leave the carpet we have and get big area rugs to hide most of it?

Comment