SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clarion23

Experimental planting palm trees in Russia.

Igor Smirnov (8a zone, Tuapse, Russia)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello!
Welcome all users of this forum! As I wrote earlier, I live in the Russian cold subtropics on the Black Sea coast. It is a small town Tuapse. At minimal winter temperatures, it is similar to the climate of the American Dallas or even
Memphis (USDA zone 8a). In January 2006, for the first time in 50 years, the temperature dropped by four hours to -16 ° C (3.2 ° F). Usually the winter morning temperature is at least from -3°С (26.6F) to -9°C (15.6F), but young
oleander bushes are regularly damaged by such frosts (-9°C). Although adult plants suffer such colds almost without damage.

For a long time I was trying to understand whether some palms could survive in the climate of Tuapse. In the end, I decided to conduct an experiment and planted several plants near the southern wall of the building in the hope of creating a microclimate in the winter. In Tuapse, for many decades, evergreen plants such as Magnolia grandiflora, Сupressus sempervirens, Prunus laurocerasus, Trachycarpus fortunei, Trochodendron aralioideis, Mahonia quifolia, Cortaderia and other plants of climatic zone 7a, 7b have been grow and prosper. Planting of such plants as Washingtonia filifera, Eucalyptus, Butia capitata, Chamaerops humilis, Daphniphillum macropodum and Olea europaea in Tuapse - a real adventure that can be very bad finish. By the way, I purchased three-year-old seedlings of olives in the autumn of this year in the nursery of the Nikitsky Botanical Garden in the Crimea. This olive in the
Crimea without damage passes through the winter with a decrease in temperature sometimes up to 15F, and also fructifies. Olive groves were planted about 200 years ago by Count Vorntsov and many trees are still alive.

So, I planted these plants of the climatic zone 8a in Tuapse near the southern wall of the building in September 2017. However, Eucalyptus Niphophila and Hamaerops humilis were planted in April 2016. They perfectly passed through the winter, snowfall and temperature -9 ° C (15,6 ° F) without damage and eucalypts reached the height of two and half meters. During this winter, I will constantly monitor the condition of these plants and post here information about it. The temperature will be measured by Netatmo individual weather station.

And further. In the spring of 2018, I plan to plant seedlings of three species of evergreen oaks, which you can not find in Tuapse today. It is Quercus virginiana, Quercus chrysolepis and Quercus ilex. I hope they will live on forever.

Thank you.

Comments (25)