SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjrnts

Woodburning to Gas Fireplace: need some advice

vjrnts
6 years ago

We have a woodturning fireplace in our 1922 house which we do not use, since an inspector told us that the chimney lining had been poorly installed, that years of wood fires have produced a creosote build up on the outside of the liner and that we risk a chimney fire. I would LOVE to retrofit with gas logs, but it seems that we would have to have an insert. I find inserts very ugly (their walls are so thick and they reduce the volume of your fire box so much)!

If we installed a gas log directly in our existing firebox, without an insert,

a) is the heat from a gas fire as intense as a wood fire? Would we still be risking a chimney fire?

b) Is it possible to put in insert in the flue that would carry the heat past the gap in the liner and up into a safe part of the chimney? I'd really love to have a gas fireplace.

Every place we've gone to look at gas logs, they've told us all about the inserts, and seem to not hear me when I say that I don't want a insert. I want to use the firebox which was built for real fires.

Putting in a new liner is prohibitively expensive, so that won't happen. Ventless systems get very hot and I am leery of combustion products coming out into our living space.

Comments (7)