SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trpnbils

Old Man Cactus - Is There Any Hope?

trpnbils
6 years ago

As a kid, some of the things I and my cousins remember most about my grandparents' house was their cactus garden above the kitchen sink in the window. They had 30-40 in there at one point, as it was a big area. The ones that really stood out were always the various specimens of old man cactus that they kept. My grandfather passed away about a month ago or so, and the plants were in various states of unwater and care. I took in all of the ones that looked like they could be saved, plus the only old man cactus that they had left. It looked dead, but I was hoping that something would be left enough to recover because it was such a landmark plant in their house when we were growing up.

I've got a good, green thumb, but I have never kept cacti before so this is relatively new to me. We watered it a bit, but didn't repot, and stuck it in a sunny window hoping to see some improvement.

This is the (lack of) progress after 3 weeks. Is there any hope for this plant? I'm hoping that maybe somehow there's enough life left in the root system that it might bud another one out (if that's even how things work with cacti).... any thoughts?

Comments (6)