SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
creepingivy

Old man cactus repot - gritty mix?

creepingivy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A family member has a 40+ year old indoor Old Man cactus that has some bends due to not growing straight. It recently uprooted and fell over. I believe root rot and poor soil were the main reasons. Also, the pot was too small (though it does not matter when the roots have rotted away). The cactus is approximately 24" tall.

I have been extensively researching Al's Gritty mix, and sourcing ingredients. Reading the theory behind it has really opened my eyes to the overly wet soil problems I have always struggled with.

My main concern is the best formulation for this type of cactus. I understand Cephalocereus prefer a drier soil than many cacti. I am wondering whether I should use the pine bark fines, or whether those will be too wet. I am planning on moving it into an 8" clay pot. I am also somewhat concerned about how often my family member will need to water the gritty mix in the western Northern Michigan window it resides.
I am also a little unsure how to deal with the roots that remain. I have created a support structure to hold the cactus while the roots regrow.

I think I have finally sourced all of the local ingredients - poultry grit, and napa 8822. I'll be picking up some pine bark fines tomorrow (screening them from a large pile).

Thanks for any guidance!

Comments (7)