SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
americangolden

Repotted Jade (Al's Gritty Mix) ((Picture Heavy))

americangolden
12 years ago

Good evening GW,

I have found all the ingredients needed to make Al's Gritty Mix and am in the process of repotting my plants to get ready for spring :). My first plant (my favorite) is my large Jade. The mix I had it currently in for the past year was not so great and after learning about Al's Gritty mix I was excited to try it for this spring.

As you can tell from the pictures I thoroughly removed all the peat and whatever else was stuck in between the roots. I washed it under water for a good 20-30 minutes to remove everything. It amazes me how much was stuck in there. I am very excited to see how the new gritty mix works out!

I had a few questions that I would like to get answered.

First question:

I planted my Jade a little bit deeper than it previously was in its old pot. As you can tell from the pictures below that the bottom small branch is now just under the soil. I was hoping that this would work and that it was ok to plant a bit deeper than it previously was. Please confirm that this is ok.

Second question:

How do I go about watering my Jade now? Before my mix held water more than it should have and now I am wondering how often I am going to have to water. For now I have my plant indoors but as soon as weather permits I will be placing it outside.

Last question:

I noticed when cleaning off all the debris from the roots that some roots came off and some seemed to turn white from the brown being scratched off if that makes sense? How long should I wait before I give this plant a good drenching? It's been a year since I replanted so I forget how long I should let the plant establish itself from the shock of replanting.

Well enough with the questions and talking. Here are some pictures for everyone to enjoy :).

{{gwi:496177}}
Coming out of the old pot

{{gwi:496179}}
Another angle out of the old pot

{{gwi:496180}}
Washed roots free of old debris

{{gwi:496181}}
Washed roots closeup

{{gwi:496182}}
Washed roots closeup #2

{{gwi:496183}}
One of the Golden's had to take a sniff :)

{{gwi:496184}}
Size

{{gwi:496185}}
Trunk measurement

{{gwi:496186}}
Closeup of the mix

{{gwi:496187}}
Replant success!

{{gwi:496188}}

{{gwi:496189}}
Another angle

{{gwi:496190}}