SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
octoberdana

These cream/off white cabinets are killing me!

octoberdana
6 years ago

I've chosen a SW color called Zircon to do for most of my open floor plan house. We have white trim. I am doing my dining room and the wall over the fireplace in a SW color called Indigo. However, my kitchen is posing a real challenge. The cabinets are an off-white and they are pulling yellowish in the lighting. Next to every single gray paint I've tried whether dark or light, they are pulling yellower. I tried beige paints, but those don't do anything for the cabinets and just make them look like the whole room is yellow. My latest color to try was SW Classic French Gray which looks amazing with my granite but not so much with my cabinets. My painter is coming on Wednesday and I'm still at a loss as to what to do with this room. I've literally tried 27 colors and none of them work. Any suggestions??

Comments (269)

• hooked123
    6 years ago

We had a situation where EVERY color paint we tried looked awful in our kitchen, and we have similar cabinets. We had designers tell us they were stumped. My husband found an odd color at Lowe’s and it worked!!! I will look for what color we used and post it for you.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Can you look at Benjamin Moore colors? I wonder if Natural Wicker or Natural Cream might work. Or Gentle Cream.

• Related Discussions

Can anyone recommend the perfect cream/off-white color to paint??

Q

Comments (3)
    Go to SW and get the card with all the whites on it-there are several dozen. Take it home and hold various tones up to your marble and granite in various lights (day and night) and if one choice is not obvious, pick the two or three you like best. Then go back to SW and get $5 sample jars of the ones you like best and paint a piece of poster board or scrap plywood with the chosen colors (so you get a large sample) and place the larger samples in your room. Again inspect and compare at various times of day and night. I think the right choice will become obvious. If you're still not sure, ask a friend you know has a good eye for decorating to help you. Better to be safe than sorry and spending $10-$15 on sample jars and really being sure is better than spending $30+ on a full container which is non-returnable and find it's not really the right shade. I think I'd look for something that blends well with the cream background in your granite which is beautiful.
    ...See More

What's your favorite cream/off white colored granite?

Q

Comments (3)
    See the white granite thread linked below for many options. We have Andromeda White in our kitchen. It have very little movement and bits of very pale green in in that would be a nice compliment to your island. Here is a link that might be useful: White granite thread
    ...See More

tile color for a cream/off-white kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    I think we have narrowed the perimeter will be stainless and the island will be either walnut or wenge (depending on final cost)...so dark island counter and stainless sink/appliances....
    ...See More

Need photos of cream/off-white inset timeless kitchens

Q

Comments (35)
    [moan] oooooooooooooOOOOOooo I cannot wait until I can afford to retrofit the cabinets I have to inset doors and drawers. I absolutely love the look and feel. I now know why for 6 years I couldn't pick a cabinet door. Nothing spoke to me. So I started to settle. That EVIL "s" word. But I have plans. Always plans. Not necessarily white for me, but all these cabinets are SO beautiful! :) Thanks for the dream material Christine
    ...See More
  • hooked123
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I couldn’t find the name as we had it made into SW paint. It is Homestead RE? I will post the formula. We looked for over a year for something that wouldn’t pull too grey. This just looks very neutral and worked for us.

The vent hood looks yellowish. We used the paint on the ceiling and above the cabinets.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

Found it by researching, here it is

• User
    6 years ago

So we're officially off gray, right?

I think some of the pics with tans and greens look really nice. If you love gray and want to go back that way, I think you need to paint your cabinets.

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago

Here is what your kitchen would look like if you painted the cabinets white.

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago

IF paint door same color as cabinets.

IF you add matching crown & wood work around pantry wall to
    match the cabinets & pull it together by painting the door to match.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Wow, I really like that mill work around the pantry. What a nice difference. Great job artistsharonva !

• octoberdana
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Decorator suggested painting trim and door same color as the wall but I like it matching cabinets too.
  • House Vixen
    6 years ago

FWIW I agree with your decorator -- given your layout, paint out the pantry door and its trim to match TBD wall color.

You don't need the eye drawn to the door from various vantage points.

And I know the wall paint is giving you fits, but your cabs are really so pretty with your granite.

People often get it not-quite-right because they're looking close-up at their counters for a color, when really THAT'S when the "across a crowded room" look matters.

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago

Imo, just changing the paint of the wall does not fix that corner. The white door against the beige cabinets, is clashing.Here is a couple of images to show how painting just the wall will look, so you can see before you paint & realize the same issue remains.

This is a really good article, that about using white & beige together.
    http://www.mariakillam.com/whiteandcream/

Basically when doing beige with white it needs to be balanced through out the whole room. A good designer would have taken into account the trim work in an open floor plan before offering a suggestion on cabinet color. This "problem" is common.

http://www.mariakillam.com/trimcolour/

Been watching the above discussion: a photo is worth a 1000 words ;)

Everyone has an opinion; it's yours that matters when it comes to your home.

Hope it helps you make the best decision for you.

• User
    6 years ago

Decent of you to be so generous, artistsharonva.... :-/

• House Vixen
    6 years ago

That's why I agreed with the decorator to paint door and its trim the same color as whatever the wall ends up. No more white there. ;)

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

So, Octoberdana, there's not one of us who hasn't been where you are now. You are entering the obsessive state (maybe already there). The only way to get a day off in your head is to do something in the great outdoors.

Take a break!

You are starting to get a handle on it but need to reflect : )

I love your cabinet color, better than stark white. And, of course you can do gray with that shade...ridiculous to think otherwise. You just need to find the right one. It's all going to work out, it's all good!

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

artistsharonva, great advice. Would paint door to match rest of cab doors (treating it like another cabinet door) and walls a dark color.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

What about a pale greenish/grayish blue, like BM Healing Aloe or Quiet Moments?

Or Coastal Fog? I dislike green but really, really like these three colors.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Here’s the thing about blue: if you don’t like the yellow tone of your cabinets, blue will only accentuate the yellow! So tread carefully with blues.

• rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

Just came from a dinner party with friends. Her cabs are off white. There is not a lot of wall space, but her walls are Abalone by BM. It looked fabulous. Here are some not great pics.

• lauriels
    6 years ago
    I hate to say it but paint the cabinets . You have a painter doing it so your lucky. I am in the process of painting mine and it's a job but it's worth it. You won't be happy til the color is changed! Good Luck
  • Banjo Hughes
    6 years ago
    There’s nothing wrong with the color of the cabs, they are cream colored cabs big deal! They don’t work with gray so move on to another shade. That light turquoise above looked very pretty.
  • octoberdana
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Passive is out decorator told me to try misty and gray screen. Those don’t look good either. Going to store to get buscuit and call it done. It’s boring and ugly but I’m done .
  • User
    6 years ago

Please don't let color boss you around...You can do this, I know you can. I won't confuse you further, but I think you've learned a few things....such as:

Darker colors are definitive. Blue is blue, brown is brown. With lighter colors you can be fooled into thinking they just might be something else...

Cool colors won't work.

The blue you like pretty much goes with anything.

Other well-meaning people can confuse you and they're not always right... :)

Sooo....This knowledge is very valuable imho. Hang in there.

• octoberdana
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Painters are coming on Tuesday. Hubby won’t let me reschedule them. I have literally tried 30 colors most look beautiful everywhere but one wall of my kitchen. Cabinets are brand new and we don’t have the funds to paint them and the wall walls. Backsplash would also have to be replaced as it is off white too. At this point at least using biscuit will work with my cabinets. Unfortunately I can’t use any of my other decorations clocks, flower vases, etc as they are all cream and cream on cream is too much. This whole process has just been frustrating. I work a 10 hour day tomorrow so no time to try anything else before Tuesday morning. It is what it is at this point. Unfortunately I could have picked out a beige on my own without spending hundreds of dollars and hours!
  • kjoy1
    6 years ago

If you think the biscuit is boring and ugly....I vote you go back to Worldly Gray

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Husband won't let you? Okay, I'll shut up.

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago

Let them paint your indigo DR first. It will take many coats, might give you time and perspective on the other colors

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago

Kjoy is right. Worldly looked great, and I loved the darker one on the island.

• User
    6 years ago

I'm really sorry about that. I suggest you just have a look at Sueb20's post above. She had the same situation as you and we can guess as much as we want, but it would be a guess, whereas she has experience with the exact problem.

If not, then good luck. Hopefully it will turn out the way you want it to.

• octoberdana
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Gray screen
  • octoberdana
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Biscuit
  • octoberdana
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Biscuit and gray screen with counters.
  • Sueb20
    6 years ago

I’d get a small can of biscuit if I were you and paint a LARGE sample on that wall — right up to the edge of the cabinet, all the way down to the counter. I don’t think that size sample is giving you enough info. My sense from the little pic I’m seeing on my phone is that the biscuit almost exactly matches your cabinets — if so, I’d go a tad lighter.

• octoberdana
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The lighter is too light
  • User
    6 years ago

That’s the color you need to be painting the dining room. Not navy. And NOT the whole house. The whole house needs Accessible Beige.

• User
    6 years ago

I agree about the Accessible Beige or, as Sue said, River Gorge Gray, although latter is my opinion (fwiw) based on what she shows and her experience.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Octoberdana, clearly you’re not going to see this whole group agree...again, I hope you can find time to make a larger sample of the Biscuit before the painters arrive, but otherwise, I wish you luck and hope (1) you’ll love whatever color you choose and (2) you’ll come back to show us the After pics!

• artistsharonva
    6 years ago

A soft creme beige with white trim could work.

May want to paint pantry door same color as cabinets.

Wait to see what it looks like white, then decide.

Hope the images help.

BTW, Thank you justerrilynn :)

• octoberdana
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone I’ve decided to take a break and not paint. The cream colors only look good with the cabinets but are completely boring and do nothing for all the off white/ cream window treatments, etc i have hanging on the walls in the other rooms. They also are very bland against the counter which is mostly cool tones. The grays and blues look much better with my counters and other furnishings but not with my cabinets. No money to paint cabinets or replace backsplash. We are just going to use painters to paint basement and just stay with white upstairs for now. I’m exhausted and done with the whole thing.
  • artistsharonva
    6 years ago

Thanks for the thanks.

Good idea to take a break.

No need to make a rushed decision.

Wait until you come up with a plan you're excited about.

You already have a beautiful home.

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago

Sorry you're so discouraged. I don't see what the problem is it all with the gray screen worldly gray or several of the other choices. I think the biscuit looks wrong with your cabinets and you obviously hate it. Just go for one of the nice greys. You have nothing to lose – It can't look worse than the way you have it now which is pretty bad. I think will be very happy with the outcome.

• mnmamax3
    6 years ago

I so feel for you - we are right there too - with 20 different colors all over the walls. We had cabinets in Monroe bisque with Feather Down trim everywhere else and they looked so yellow next to white, but I swear if you get some other color on the WHOLE kitchen wall instead of that white, it will change the look of your cabinets into a beautiful creamy color that coordinates with your accents in cream/white throughout (stools, clocks, corner cabinet). I would paint at least the door in the creamy cabinet color (or do the sexy grey island/door combo someone else suggested). Sherwin Williams paint samples are specifically a full quart (of watered-down paint) so you can really get an idea of the color and they are like $8. Be careful as it does splatter more than regular paint.

• rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

Octoberdana, So sorry you feel that way. For what it's worth, I think the kitchen itself is beautiful and a fresh start will hopefully help you fall in love with it again. And off topic, I love that bread box! I saw something similar on Amazon and seeing it in your kitchen reaffirms that I must have one :)

I can't help but wonder if our collective best efforts and good intentions left you worse off, questioning your gut with what you really wanted to begin with.

• Tracy Rosplohowski
    6 years ago

I know you are taking a break but I have cabs exactly like yours. I had sw pewter tankard. Ugly name but looked great with no yellow pull. I simply wanted a change and painted BM gray owl. I love the color but my cabs look super yellow and it's making me crazy. I also had sw ruskin room green which looked great. I just get bored and paint my house constantly. If you don't like it, it only takes a day or two to change. Maybe someone mentioned this, but also consider your light exposure. Mine is northern which makes choosing gray exceptionally difficult in my opinion. Thinking maybe sw functional gray or oyster bay for my next endeavor:) Good luck!

• Natalie
    6 years ago

Hi!

Nice space.

I think the white/off- white backsplash is really posing a problem. It contrasts too much with the antique white cabs and makes them dull and dingy looking. Sorry. Given the style and color palette you desire, I think you could go a bit bold with the backsplash and let it have dominance over the cabs. Make sure it has the Same color of your cabinets somewhere in the pattern/design... Your walls could go a shade or two darker/lighter than the cabinets and you could pull your indigo hue from the splash to the dining area for a cohesive look.

Hope this is helpful. Best of Luck!

• diymom79
    5 years ago

Octoberdana Didi you ever paint your kitchen?

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Lol sabbath. Looks great. I wish I could get a better look at the finish on the cabinets. I hate the fake nicks and dings-good on you!!

it is funny this just resurfaced because I have been fantasizing about painting my poopy beige walls (never liked them) my creamy white trim color (love). The areas I selected for this incongruously cold beige are fairly low light, including a long narrow hall and high narrow stairwell. But the thing I hate the most about it is how close-but-not-quite it is to my dark cream cabinets. Looking back on this thread I see I loved Kjoy's mockup of the walls the same color as the cabinets and the white door and island painted darker colors. I hated the white walls with the cream here. I think I am sold on the lighter cream for my kitchen though, it shouldn't be as stark as op's stark white and cream. Maybe will post a pic if I get around to it.

• sgmom
    5 years ago
    What color is that on the wall?
  • octoberdana
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Update I painted the walls Passive. I lived with it for two years, don’t like it anymore. Now in the process of repainting. Looking at SW canvas tan or accessible beige most likely. One day will paint the cabinets but not in the budget for now.

• shwshw
    4 years ago

Happy Holidays Octoberdana. Hoping for a paint color you love in the New Year.

• Kat S
    3 years ago

@octoberdana

what did you end up doing? I have Same issue 😢