SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzique2016

Deciding between bad options with drywall surface

6 years ago

Hello Houzz!

We are nearing the end of a whole-house remodel of a 1916 Tudor-Craftsman in the Midwestern US. We have moved walls and added an addition, so there is a lot of new drywall going up, starting today. There are still many walls and ceilings that have not changed.

* In the living room, 1/2 the walls have many surfaces of paint, with sand buried underneath. So, they have a slight bumpiness but not a sandy texture. (Looks old but okay -I'd give it a grade of A-)

* In the living room, 1/2 the ceiling is not new, and is textured with coarse sand. (Not that noticeable - I'd give it a grade of B or B-).

* On the wall going up the main stairs, the whole wall is sanded, applied in a circular motion (so that it is very noticeable and not attractive). This is the worst, and I'd give it a grade of C-.

So, now the question - what to tell the drywallers? Here are our options (according to them):

0) Make the new stuff smooth, and skim coat over all the sand (will add ~$5K to the budget, which we do not have ... so while this is the best, it is a no).

1) Mix-and-match: Make the new stuff smooth, but then it would not match old stuff.

2) All Sand: Make everything sanded so it matches (drywall guy said that the new sand texture would be more noticeable than the living room wall (what I gave an A-) but less noticeable than the ceiling or stairway (what I gave B to C-). So, let's assume that sand-all-over would be a B+

3) All Orange Peel: Make everything orange peel. Drywall guy thought this would have a similar feeling to the living room wall with the really old painted sand (what I gave an A-), but in researching orange peel it I don't think it suits the house.

So - Houzzers - what is your vote? Mix-and-match, all sand, or all orange peel?

Comments (20)