SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Make your own mixes?

6 years ago

We've had so much talk about cake mixes recently. While I may be picky about the outcome, I'm not about how you got there, and if you like cake mixes, that's fine by me. It seems that those of you who use them, however, do so for speed. I get that too. But without a lot of pressure at your back, measuring out a cake is pretty quick and easy.

The mixes require the addition of eggs. fat and liquid anyway, but there are good dehydrated egg and milk products, and there's even freeze dried butter and cream. You could make a just add water mix with these products. You can buy them at mountaineering supply stores as well as food storage suppliers.

I sort of do that when I'm having a lot of company. Days before I want to bake a cake (which I don't always have freezer space for), I assemble a kit with the dry ingredients and other non-perishables, and sometimes even measure out and assemble the perishables into a couple of containers in the fridge.

Making nice jars with the basics of your favorite cakes in them would be easy. You can write the rest of the ingredients on them with a Sharpie (comes off with alcohol). Add the time/temp and any other directions you need, and you're ready to go as if it were in a box!

Just sayin'...

Comments (19)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH