SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamereone

New development on previously wooded hill, runoff flooding neighbors

kamereone
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hoping this forum can help, since this relates to new construction, design, permitting, etc.

New development on previously wooded hill, runoff flooding downhill neighbors across the street... aka my 300+ year old farm house with a dry stacked stone foundation.

Not helping the situation, the State has repaved and raised the grade of the road between us and the new houses over SIX FEET in recent memory, and it is now literally higher than the stone walls running along side it. Even have photos from the 1800s showing the road used to be LOWER than our yard... With the wonky grading near the street, I wouldn't be surprised if topsoil from here was taken for the road!

When they first cleared the land, there was a swale and sandbags, etc. Now that they're grading it in prep for landscaping, it's just a smooth grade down to the road. The shared driveway for these houses is directly across from ours, and flooding in our yard has worsened significantly, and I cant imagine it will improve any once pavement is laid...

There is an existing storm drain about 50' from the driveways, but it's higher than the road itself, and water literally flows away from it and into our yard.

The driveway and lawn become a hockey rink each winter, due to the road issue, no joke some areas with at least 6" of ice. The asphalt of the driveway has become, needless to say, pitifully cracked potholed and crumbled.

Is this something we have to resolve ourselves (our best idea so far is drainage grate / french drain trench or similar across the entire 100-yard frontage) or is there some way to have the "professionals" who designed the road and/or new development take responsibility for their poor planning and help fix the mess they've made?

Any advice on either solution would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)