SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldrosen22

Exterior Color Decision - Hardie - what to pick?

yellowbird
6 years ago

We are just about to embark on residing our house and installing new windows and I'm having a moment of indecision. We plan to use Hardie board and financially it is best if we can use the pre-painted color selection (although I know we could paint, I'd prefer not to). I am pretty sure I will go with white windows, but I can't seem to finalize the Hardie Board choice. My instinct was to keep the house yellow - and Harris Cream is pretty close to what we have now (Chesterown Buff - BM), but it seems that is not available any longer and the only other "strong" yellow is Woodward Cream. I tried Light Mist (on the front right) but didn't like that). Just bought Cobblestone and Monterrey Taupe to try samples (can post photos tomorrow).

My hesitation is that in some Houzz photos Woodward Cream looks great - buttery yellow, nice contrast to the white, and it has a presence. But then I see Woodward cream in some other Houzz / siding company photos / a house in town and it looks a bit washed out to me - not white, not clear yellow, just feels pale. My gut it going with a dark Hardie color isn't a good fit for our house (such as boothbay blue, iron gray), although that would give a nice contract to the white. Since our neighboring houses (left, right, across) are the colors of white, brown and a grayish color I've also hesitated going with one those colors (I'm not personally big on brown and red).

This is a photo (front) on an overcast day. I have Harris Cream just to the left of the door and just to right of the left most bottom window. I put Woodward Cream to the left of the bottom window, to the right of the front door (until the shutter) and then again to the left of the front door next to the white corner board.

Does someone have experience with Hardie Colors? Is the photo lighting really impacting the look.

What are your thoughts on Woodward Cream? If I could get Harris I'd go with that but I've been told it is discontinued. Any other ideas?

Back is Chestertown Buff (one little splotch of Woodward cream on far left).

Comments (4)