SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicabaskerville

Need help with lighting over kitchen - how many lights, switch?, etc.

We are having a home built and adding lighting over the kitchen island. Unfortunately, our builder has not been very helpful in the design element and we're left to our own devices. I'm uploading the portion of our floor plan that shows the kitchen here.

The kitchen is open to the dining area (shown in the floor plan) and the living area (to the left of the kitchen and dining areas). We're trying to figure out how many lights would be appropriate over the kitchen island.

I like the look of over-sized pendant lights and I'm leaning toward something like the attached photo (size of the light is around 15"x15"). I definitely want to avoid an over-crowded look, but I'm not sure whether or not 2 lights would look right. Also, I'm unsure about positioning since our L shaped island is 4' on one side and 6' on the other.

Any suggestions? :) Also very open to other ideas. Our decor style is a mix of modern and rustic - kind of similar to the "modern farmhouse" style that is popular right now ("Fixer Upper" style).

One more thing... we're also trying to figure out whether the island lighting should have a separate switch from the recessed can lighting in the kitchen.

Would love to hear your thoughts!!

Comment (1)