SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptangwai

Vinyl Tile glue down questions

6 years ago

Thinking of putting Vinyl Tile in my basement to replace the old carpet which is in terrible shape. I am choosing a glue down install instead of a floating floor because I have heavy objects (gym equipment like a treadmill and elliptical, each over 250lbs) that will need to be rolled across it from time to time, and I want the stability.

Two questions:

1. I know that LVT floating floors need an expansion gap because it can change size primarily due to temperature changes. But if that is true, then what about glue down installations? Won't those vinyl tiles also expand and contract, or does the adhesive somehow prevent this? I would think that some kind of buckling could occur over time since the expansion/contraction would put pressure on the adhesive, possibly causing it to fail.

2. For a glue down install on a concrete basement floor: assuming that it is clean and flat, is any underlayment needed at all? Does the concrete need to be sealed or primed in some way? What if there are minor imperfections that are difficult to remove, such as old adhesive or slight unevenness in the floor like near a drain?

Thank-you.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio