SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth09

A shot in the dark.

beth09
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

A recent thread caused me to use this term in a reply of mine today. It got me thinking back to my own experiences that would fall into this category. One in particular came to mind, and I thought it would be fun to share it, and to hear some of yours. These are great ways of showing how you defied the odds and came out on top. Who doesn't love a happy ending?

Mine has to do with a Christmas present. It was for my husbands brother, a very successful businessman, who could afford just about anything he wanted. He defines "hard to buy for"! I decided to take a picture I had of their new home, situated in a very picturesque setting, and have an ink dot drawing done. I had heard of someone who did them, actually the sister of an old boyfriend. So I contacted her, met to give her the picture, and waited.

Finally it was done. She dropped the picture off where I was working, which did not give me time to truly scrutinize it. But I did look at it and it looked great. I was so happy, knowing this was a cool, one of a kind gift for my BIL. So I paid her and that was that. Until I got home, and really started admiring it. All of a sudden, I realized there were 3 very faint, but good sized pink spots scattered throughout the picture. It looked like someone had spilled something. I was so bummed, and upset. There was no way she could not have known about this....

So I called her up and explained what I was seeing. She denied anything was wrong. I just kept saying, look, they're there, I can see them. And so would you if you come look at it. So then she switched to, "You ok'd it and paid for it". Yes, I had. But also in a rushed environment, which I don't think was a coincidence. And I explained this to her, but she wasn't budging. She would not give me the rather pricey refund. So I hung up.

The more I thought about it, the madder I got. And I just kept thinking, how do I get my money back? And then, the "shot in the dark" thought occurred to me. So I wrote her an email, and this is what I said:

Dear Soandso,

I have come to terms with the fact you are not going to do the right thing and refund my money. So I'm going to go ahead and give this gift to my BIL, whose wife happens to be an art major. She will be critiquing it I'm sure. I'm also sure they will hang it on a prominent wall in their new home. And when they have parties (which they do quite often) and all their very influential friends remark on the pink stained drawing you did, I will make sure they point out ALL the details in your drawing, and give everyone your name so you get full credit.

Sincerely, Beth

She called within hours to offer me a refund. ;)

So, tell me about yours!

Comments (19)