SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 10 - 27 - 17

User
6 years ago

James Cook Quotes
British - Explorer October 27, 1728 - February 14, 1779

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
James Cook

Ambition leads me not only farther than any other man has been before me, but as far as I think it possible for man to go.
James Cook

Gifted women musicians and composers rarely received their due.
James Cook

Niccolo Paganini Quotes
Italian - Musician October 27, 1782 - May 27, 1840

I am not handsome, but when women hear me play, they come crawling to my feet.
Niccolo Paganini

The violin is my mistress, but the guitar is my master.
Niccolo Paganini

In order to move others, I must be moved.
Niccolo Paganini

When I attained my seventh year, my father, whose ear was unmusical but who was nevertheless passionately fond of music, gave me my elementary lessons on the violin; in a very few months, I was able to play all manner of compositions at sight.
Niccolo Paganini

At a grand evening service in a church, my concerto created such a furor that the worshippers rushed out to keep the crowd outside the church quiet.
Niccolo Paganini

At Vienna, one of the audience affirmed publicly that my performance was not surprising, for he had distinctly seen, while I was playing my variations, the devil at my elbow, directing my arm and guiding my bow. My resemblance to the devil was a proof of my origin.
Niccolo Paganini

Emily Post Quotes
American - Author October 27, 1872 - September 25, 1960

Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.
Emily Post

Nothing is less important than which fork you use. Etiquette is the science of living. It embraces everything. It is ethics. It is honor.
Emily Post

To the old saying that man built the house but woman made of it a 'home' might be added the modern supplement that woman accepted cooking as a chore but man has made of it a recreation.
Emily Post

Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought, and not, as many of those who worry most about their shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit or oratory.
Emily Post

To do exactly as your neighbors do is the only sensible rule.
Emily Post

Enid Bagnold Quotes
British - Author October 27, 1889 - March 31, 1981

In marriage there are no manners to keep up, and beneath the wildest accusations no real criticism. Each is familiar with that ancient child in the other who may erupt again. We are not ridiculous to ourselves. We are ageless. That is the luxury of the wedding ring.
Enid Bagnold

A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman he turns her back again.
Enid Bagnold

Judges don't age; time decorates them.
Enid Bagnold

When a man goes through six years training to be a doctor he will never be the same. He knows too much.
Enid Bagnold

As for death one gets used to it, even if it's only other people's death you get used to.
Enid Bagnold

If a dog doesn't put you first where are you both? In what relation? A dog needs God. It lives by your glances, your wishes. It even shares your humor. This happens about the fifth year. If it doesn't happen you are only keeping an animal.
Enid Bagnold

The pleasure of one's effect on other people still exists in age - what's called making a hit. But the hit is much rarer and made of different stuff.
Enid Bagnold

The theatre is a gross art, built in sweeps and over-emphasis. Compromise is its second name.
Enid Bagnold

Alfred Whitney Griswold Quotes
American - Educator October 27, 1906 - April 19, 1963

The divine spark leaps from the finger of God to the finger of Adam, whether it takes ultimate shape in a law of physics or a law of the land, a poem or a policy, a sonata or a mechanical computer.
Alfred Whitney Griswold

Things have got to be wrong in order that they may be deplored.
Alfred Whitney Griswold

Books won't stay banned. They won't burn. Ideas won't go to jail.
Alfred Whitney Griswold

In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost. The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas.
Alfred Whitney Griswold

A Socrates in every classroom.
Alfred Whitney Griswold

The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas.
Alfred Whitney Griswold

Dylan Thomas Quotes
Welsh - Poet October 27, 1914 - November 9, 1953

Do not go gentle into that good night but rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Dylan Thomas

He who seeks rest finds boredom. He who seeks work finds rest.
Dylan Thomas

Somebody's boring me. I think it's me.
Dylan Thomas

Though lovers be lost, love shall not.
Dylan Thomas

When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes.
Dylan Thomas

An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do.
Dylan Thomas

Every device there is in language is there to be used, if you will. Poets have got to enjoy themselves sometimes, and the twistings and convolutions of words, the inventions and contrivances, are all part of the joy that is part of the painful, voluntary work.
Dylan Thomas

The first poems I knew were nursery rhymes, and before I could read them for myself, I had come to love just the words of them, the words alone.
Dylan Thomas

These poems, with all their crudities, doubts, and confusions, are written for the love of Man and in praise of God, and I'd be a damn' fool if they weren't.
Dylan Thomas

But time has set its maggot on their track.
Dylan Thomas

As I read more and more - and it was not all verse, by any means - my love for the real life of words increased until I knew that I must live with them and in them, always. I knew, in fact, that I must be a writer of words, and nothing else.
Dylan Thomas

I have never sat down and studied the Bible, never consciously echoed its language, and am, in reality, as ignorant of it as most brought-up Christians. All of the Bible that I use in my work is remembered from childhood and is the common property of all who were brought up in English-speaking communities.
Dylan Thomas

I've just had eighteen straight whiskies. I think that's the record.
Dylan Thomas

Never be lucid, never state, if you would be regarded great.
Dylan Thomas

Don't be too harsh to these poems until they're typed. I always think typescript lends some sort of certainty: at least, if the things are bad then, they appear to be bad with conviction.
Dylan Thomas

The function of posterity is to look after itself.
Dylan Thomas

There is only one position for an artist anywhere; and that is upright.
Dylan Thomas

The land of my fathers. My fathers can have it.
Dylan Thomas

Washington isn't a city, it's an abstraction.
Dylan Thomas

Go on thinking that you don't need to be read and you'll find that it may become quite true: no one will feel the need tom read it because it is written for yourself alone; and the public won't feel any impulse to gate crash such a private party.
Dylan Thomas

Whatever talents I possess may suddenly diminish or suddenly increase. I can with ease become an ordinary fool. I may be one now. But it doesn't do to upset one's own vanity.
Dylan Thomas

Great is the hand that holds dominion over man by a scribbled name.
Dylan Thomas

No honest writer today can possibly avoid being influenced by Freud through his pioneering work into the Unconscious and by the influence of those discoveries on the scientific, philosophic, and artistic work of his contemporaries: but not, by any means, necessarily through Freud's own writing.
Dylan Thomas

I went on all over the States, ranting poems to enthusiastic audiences that, the week before, had been equally enthusiastic about lectures on Railway Development or the Modern Turkish Essay.
Dylan Thomas

My education was the liberty I had to read indiscriminately and all the time, with my eyes hanging out.
Dylan Thomas

Roy Lichtenstein Quotes
American - Artist October 27, 1923 - September 29, 1997

Pop Art looks out into the world. It doesn't look like a painting of something, it looks like the thing itself.
Roy Lichtenstein

Art doesn't transform. It just plain forms.
Roy Lichtenstein

I'm interested in what would normally be considered the worst aspects of commercial art. I think it's the tension between what seems to be so rigid and cliched and the fact that art really can't be this way.
Roy Lichtenstein

Picasso's always been such a huge influence that I thought when I started the cartoon paintings that I was getting away from Picasso, and even my cartoons of Picasso were done almost to rid myself of his influence.
Roy Lichtenstein

I think we're much smarter than we were. Everybody knows that abstract art can be art, and most people know that they may not like it, even if they understand there's another purpose to it.
Roy Lichtenstein

I like to pretend that my art has nothing to do with me.
Roy Lichtenstein

I'm not really sure what social message my art carries, if any. And I don't really want it to carry one. I'm not interested in the subject matter to try to teach society anything, or to try to better our world in any way.
Roy Lichtenstein

I don't think that I'm over his influence but they probably don't look like Picassos; Picasso himself would probably have thrown up looking at my pictures.
Roy Lichtenstein

I think that most people think painters are kind of ridiculous, you know?
Roy Lichtenstein

There is a relationship between cartooning and people like Mir= and Picasso which may not be understood by the cartoonist, but it definitely is related even in the early Disney.
Roy Lichtenstein

Personally, I feel that in my own work I wanted to look programmed or impersonal but I don't really believe I am being impersonal when I do it. And I don't think you could do this.
Roy Lichtenstein

Yes, you know sometimes, we started out thinking out how strange our painting was next to normal painting, which was anything expressionist. You forget that this has been thirty five years now and people don't look at it as if it were some kind of oddity.
Roy Lichtenstein

I don't have big anxieties. I wish I did. I'd be much more interesting.
Roy Lichtenstein

I suppose I would still prefer to sit under a tree with a picnic basket rather than under a gas pump, but signs and comic strips are interesting as subject matter.
Roy Lichtenstein

Yeah, you know, you like it to come on like gangbusters, but you get into passages that are very interesting and subtle, and sometimes your original intent changes quite a bit.
Roy Lichtenstein

In America the biggest is the best.
Roy Lichtenstein

I kind of do the drawing with the painting in mind, but it's very hard to guess at a size or a color and all the colors around it and what it will really look like.
Roy Lichtenstein

But usually I begin things through a drawing, so a lot of things are worked out in the drawing. But even then, I still allow for and want to make changes.
Roy Lichtenstein

But when I worked on a painting I would do it from a drawing but I would put certain things I was fairly sure I wanted in the painting, and then collage on the painting with printed dots or painted paper or something before I really committed it.
Roy Lichtenstein

You know, as you compose music, you're just off in your own world. You have no idea where reality is, so to have an idea of what people think is pretty hard.
Roy Lichtenstein

John Cleese Quotes
English - Actor Born: October 27, 1939

If God did not intend for us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?
John Cleese

You don't have to be the Dalai Lama to tell people that life's about change.
John Cleese

The most creative people have this childlike facility to play.
John Cleese

A man will give up almost anything except his suffering.
John Cleese

He who laughs most, learns best.
John Cleese

Comedy always works best when it is mean-spirited.
John Cleese

Well, the only way I can get a leading-man role is if I write it.
John Cleese

Now most people do not want an ordinary life in which they do a job well, earn the respect of their collaborators and competitors, bring up a family and have friends. That's not enough any more, and I think that is absolutely tragic - and I'm not exaggerating - that people feel like a decent, ordinary, fun life is no longer enough.
John Cleese

But then acting is all about faking. We're all very good at faking things that we have no competence with.
John Cleese

I think that money spoils most things, once it becomes the primary motivating force.
John Cleese

A wonderful thing about true laughter is that it just destroys any kind of system of dividing people.
John Cleese

I have several times made a poor choice by avoiding a necessary confrontation.
John Cleese

If I can get you to laugh with me, you like me better, which makes you more open to my ideas. And if I can persuade you to laugh at the particular point I make, by laughing at it you acknowledge its truth.
John Cleese

The English contribution to world cuisine - the chip.
John Cleese

The really good idea is always traceable back quite a long way, often to a not very good idea which sparked off another idea that was only slightly better, which somebody else misunderstood in such a way that they then said something which was really rather interesting.
John Cleese

I tend to have an odd split in my mind: I tend to look at it as a writer and when the writing thing is OK and I'm happy with it, then I put on my actor's hat.
John Cleese

I'm not saying Obama is right on everything. Of course not. He may be wrong on a number of things. But what I do know is that he behaves like a very, very sane man almost all the time.
John Cleese

If life were fair, Dan Quayle would be making a living asking 'Do you want fries with that?'
John Cleese

English television from the Fifties to the Nineties was the least bad in the world, and now it's just as bad as it is anywhere.
John Cleese

I find it rather easy to portray a businessman. Being bland, rather cruel and incompetent comes naturally to me.
John Cleese

If you want creative workers, give them enough time to play.
John Cleese

For me, the great problem growing up in England was that I had a very narrow concept of what God can be, and it was damn close to an old man with a beard.
John Cleese

I think that sometimes you do something that makes a small group of people laugh, which is all we were trying to do; we were just trying to make each other laugh.
John Cleese

I used to desire many, many things, but now I have just one desire, and that's to get rid of all my other desires.
John Cleese

Who's ever going to write a film in which I get the girl? Me!
John Cleese

I think it's because in America you always get the sense that if you fail, you can just pack up your things and go somewhere else and try again. But in England, it's so geographically small that if somebody succeeds here, it reduces your chances of succeeding.
John Cleese

The Americans all love 'The Holy Grail', and the English all love 'Life Of Brian', and I'm afraid on this one, I side with the English.
John Cleese

I think you can write very good comedy without a partner, but what I love about it, working with a partner, is that you get to places you'd never get on your own. It's like when God was designing the world and decided we couldn't have children without a partner; it was a way of mixing up the genes so you'd get a more interesting product.
John Cleese

I was very sad to hear of the death of Ronnie Barker, who was such a warm, friendly and encouraging presence to have when I started in television. He was also a great comic actor to learn from.
John Cleese

England is a fairly envious little country and it's embodied in the press. They don't like anyone being more distinguished than they are.
John Cleese

I would say that I began with a very edgy, very driven personality and after a sufficient amount of therapy over many, many years, I managed to become rather relaxed and happy.
John Cleese

My compulsion to always be working has become less strong and my current business is purely down to this enormous alimony. If I wasn't doing this I'd be making documentaries about wildlife and other subjects that interest me.
John Cleese

I was always a sports nut but I've lost interest now in whether one bunch of mercenaries in north London is going to beat another bunch of mercenaries from west London.
John Cleese

Don't let anyone tell you what you ought to like... Some wines that some experts think are absolutely exquisite don't appeal to me at all.
John Cleese

God was treated like this powerful, erratic, rather punitive father who has to be pacified and praised. You know, flattered.
John Cleese

I can never do better than Fawlty Towers whatever I do. Now I very much want to teach young talent some rules of the game.
John Cleese

I can't tell you how scary it can be walking onto a movie and suddenly joining this family, it's like going to somebody else's Christmas dinner, everyone knows everyone, and you're there and you're not quite sure what you're supposed to be doing.
John Cleese

I want to write a book which is the history of comedy.
John Cleese

It seems astounding to me now that the video games are perhaps as important as the movie themselves. And people will spend 2 or 3 years obsessing about the video game in exactly the same way that they'd be obsessing about the movie if they were working on that.
John Cleese

The thrill I got discovering Buster Keaton when I was growing up was so exciting. He was one of the greats.
John Cleese

When the target audience is American teenage kids, you can have problems. My generation prized really fine acting and writing. Sometimes you have to go back to the basic principles which underpin great visual comedy.
John Cleese

Wine is wonderful stuff. But so many people are put off by the snobbery of it.
John Cleese

In Britain, girls seem to be either bright or attractive. In America, that's not the case. They're both.
John Cleese

I had a very, very difficult relationship with my mother, who was supremely self-centred. She was hilariously self-centred. She did not really take interest in anything that didn't immediately affect her.
John Cleese

I just think that sometimes we hang onto people or relationships long after they've ceased to be of any use to either of you. I'm always meeting new people, and my list of friends seems to change quite a bit.
John Cleese

Filming takes a lot out of you. It really does. It's immensely demanding, and you have to put the rest of your life in the icebox until you do your final shot.
John Cleese

Michael Palin decided to give up on his considerable comedy talents to make those dreadfully tedious travel shows. Have you ever tried to watch one?
John Cleese

I don't miss London much. I find it crowded, vast and difficult to get around. Cabs are incredibly expensive.
John Cleese

Most of the bad taste I've been accused of has been generic bad taste; it's been making fun of an idea as opposed to a person.
John Cleese

Sci-fi has never really been my bag. But I do believe in a lot of weird things these days, such as synchronicity. Quantum physics suggests it's possible, so why not?
John Cleese

I'm always meeting new people, and my list of friends seems to change quite a bit.
John Cleese

When you've been doing comedy for forty years, you really do know most of the jokes. And even if you don't know a specific joke, you can pretty much guess what it's going to be.
John Cleese

Some actors, I think, want to feel that they are as creative as the writer. And the answer is, frankly, they're not.
John Cleese

I love having different cultures around, but when the parent culture kind of dissipates, you're left thinking, 'Well, what's going on?'
John Cleese

Sponsored
More Discussions