SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaw2015

Guess my other post was not interesting...

lisaw2015 (ME)
6 years ago

Let me try this one.

My former boss was from WV and the company I worked for was based there. When she came to Maine, as she did a couple times per year, we would get such a chuckle out of the regional differences in language use & lingo.

Example: we call a long wooden sled, without runners, that seats up to 10 or so people a toboggan. In WV, that's a hat! Isn't that a hoot?

We have fruit flies this time of year & she called them gnatties, lol!

She said that people with well water were considered poor folk, only the wealthy could have town water.....huh? Who would want chlorinated town water?

I also was thinking recently about how many different names we have for a sandwich on a long roll filled with meat cheese & veggies. Hero, Hoagie, Sub, Italian, Grinder? We call it an Italian unless it's hot, then we call it a hoagie. Or if it's from Subway, obviously it's a sub.

What cultural/regional differences are you aware of & find interesting or funny?

Comments (58)

• chisue
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have drinking fountains in Chicago. In Wisconsin those are "bubblers".

We might offer someone "a lift" to the store. I've heard southerners offer to "carry" a pedestrian.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked chisue
  • yeonassky
    6 years ago

We here in Vancouver say Toques as well as those most other Canadian places. :-)..

in my family we call them purses and wallets, purses being the wallet carrying handbag and wallets being the inside of the purse money carrier. :-).

Apparently the word toboggan for hat got shortened from toboggan hat to just toboggan.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked yeonassky
  • Related Discussions

guess what I found while digging up my walkway

Q

Comments (42)
    Chelone, the cat's name is Lily, sister (in spirit) to Tiger, an orange male and the coolest cat who ever walked the face of the earth. Lily is more normal cat, Tiger thinks he is a person. He knows more people in the neighborhood than I do, and frequents most of their homes. There is also a third orange long-hair named Molly. Orange cats have the best temperaments IME. Thanks for the compliments - - it's nice to hear after all that sweat I invested! All of the materials used were found on my property except for the stone dust, which I got at a discount through a friend. I have to say right now I actually love the look of the walkway, while I think the patio is just "ok". I do prefer the irregular stones, impractical as they may be. The patio stones are a bit out of line since I was just eyeballing them and then I had friends come in to help finish who weren't as picky as me! As for Poor Martha (as she has come to be known in the neighborhood), my next step if the town historian doesn't call back and take over is to go to the Bureau of Vital Statistics (I think that's what it's called) in Hartford and search for that date of death. If there is a Martha, well, Bingo. If not, and there are one or two other people with that DOD, I can check which cemetery they were buried in and see if they have stones (and whether they are replacement stones). If there is no match that way, I might be out of luck because that means the stone was not local. In that case I would just beg the historical society or a cemetery to take it. The woman from the Connecticut Gravestone Network also said she can search ancestors.com because she has a membership. So we'll see if she comes up with anything. For now Poor Martha has been moved to the patio, where I'm sure she's doing a great job of freaking out the mailman when he walks up to my house everyday. Hopefully he has figured out that she was unearthed during the walkway reno!
    ...See More

Double Larkspur and other interesting things ...

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks Kathy for the larkspur link and the picture of your larkspurs this year and last. I was going to suggest that everyone who has them post pictures of their 'Larkspur Forest'. It would be nice to get those seeds out of the jar too ... LOL. And look whose talking :-) I've got seeds I've been 'saving' for years. Must have been the combination of the compost and the rain, but some of mine are six feet tall! I really should have thinned them. The one poor white and red striped amarylis that is peeking out is saying "Would you please move over. We're trying to bloom here" ... Another shot taken early this morning. Here you can see the darker double ones ... This has been a good year for roses too. The rose in the foreground is St. Cecelia. To the right in the pot is Blush Noisette ... I wish roses were more readily available on Fortunianna root stock like this St. Cecilia. They do so much better on F. roots (which are more suitable to our soil and climate) that the people who show roses here in San Antonio do their own grafting onto Fortunianna.
    ...See More

Anyone still interested in Fabric (and other stuff!) Adoption?

Q

Comments (7)
    I was just in a "quilter's swap" organized in a parking lot by a small quilt shop - got rid of alot of fabric and other things there, plus we can take unwanted fabric and odds and ends to our retreat to a "free" table, and I do that twice a year. It's a good idea, hope it will work out. Also, every once in a while someone will post something free to whoever emails them first.
    ...See More

Fun/interesting post from the "other side"

Q

Comments (39)
    Thank you Olychick. Maybe I just did not understand the post. This is the paragraph I am talking about "Thank you for the suggestion. Designer showcase homes are not to my taste at all.I looked at the designer showcase house on Hopeton (I am sure you know the one) and while the work was fine I guess, it was completely not period correct and the fact that some of the woodwork was painted appalled me (maybe the designers did not do that I don't know). As I walked through (I was thinking about buying it I did not go to the showcase) I kept thinking why on earth would someone take a beautiful 1920s Tudor and desecrate it with that wallpaper! " I thought he was making reference to a home he did not buy.
    ...See More
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, we call all soft drinks soda too. We also call lunch dinner & dinner supper. We don't typically have brunch other than holidays.

• Hareball
    6 years ago

In south/central Texas we call sodas soda or coke. Mostly soda but I've heard people use coke as a general term. Up north I know it can be referred to as pop. My BIL went through a time where he called sodas pop. It was the funniest thing ever. :D

We call shopping carts shopping carts or just carts. We also say highways and access roads. :D We don't have toboggans cause you would need snow for that. We don't know what snow is here. We barely know what rain is. :\

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Hareball
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another thing I often remember from my WV friend/boss: She would say to me "Will you move that chair over there, do you care?" rather than "Do you mind?" I always thought I should say, of coutrse I care but I don't mind doing anything you like.

• janey_alabama
    6 years ago

I say pop. My husband is from Minnesota & he will say soda.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

The dinner and supper distinction used to drive me batty. For those who may not have struggled with these two terms- dinner is your main meal of the day (unless it is breakfast.) Supper is your last mean of the day.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Jasdip
    6 years ago

Definitely winter knitted hats are toques here as well, in Ontario.

You call it soda, we call it pop.

Tissues are Kleenex, even though it's the brand name.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Jasdip
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

Oh yeah, the dinner-supper distinction. As a kid, we had lunch and supper, dinner was reserved for those big holidays when we had company. Now we have lunch and dinner.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

My mom still calls her evening meal supper, even though it is her main meal of the day. I explained the etymology of the words and that dinner is the correct term but, she sticks to supper.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

Supper for your main meal is a fine use of the word. The tricky bit for me was when some people called the meal after church on Sunday dinner. Your mid-day meal is dinner if it's your largest and then you would have supper. But you can still have lunch at mid-day and call your evening meal supper.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

When I moved from Ohio to New England my first experience with different names for things was when I bought something at a small store and told the clerk I didn't need a sack. They're called bags, here.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

We drink pop here, my son drinks sody! We have a hose. My husband always called his hat a bonnet. I have no idea why. Tried to change him but he is stubborn! Men have billfolds and women purses. Growing up everyone called the noon meal dinner and evening was supper. My mother in law always said out ten the light! We also eat subs here. We do not eat string beans, they are green beans. We also use a shopping cart. A buggy is for a baby or a horse pulls. We would give people a ride to the store. I am sure there are more.

Sue in Central Indiana

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

Ooooops, I just realized in French-Canadian you say tuque- not toque. Never mind my previous silly comments (though I imagine this is one word that went from French to English and not the other way around, since toque usually means something else.)

• Hareball
    6 years ago

This goes more with the pronunciation post but I'll put it here anyway. There's a YouTuber I watch and she's from Canada. She pronounces bag.. beyg. Do any other Canadians on here pronounce it like that?

• aok27502
    6 years ago

Growing up in Ohio, we said pop. Here it's either soda or sometimes drink "I'm going to get a drink, want one?". Supper and dinner were interchangeable, although I think we used supper more. Never said dinner at lunch time.

Dad and his generation used lots of words that I think are gone, lavatory and davenport and dungarees (I'm not sure what that meant.) He always referred to his wallet as a billfold.

I heard an interesting story once about a crime investigator using language as one of the forensic tools. The example was a crime (I don't remember what), where the suspect instructed that they leave something on the "devil's strip." I believe this refers to the grass between the sidewalk and the street. Apparently use of that term is quite specific to a particular place in Ohio, and they were able to zero in on their suspect based on those two words. Probably he had heard the term all his life, and had no idea that it wasn't common anywhere else.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked aok27502
  • tackykat
    6 years ago

RE: devil's strip. We call that a parkway. Dungarees are pants (jeans? workpants?)

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked tackykat
  • amylou321
    6 years ago

I was born in Wisconsin but raised in alabama. I still often used the "yankee" phrases for things. I was only 6 months old when we moved here,but the parental and older sibling influence has persisted I guess. Only one sister has taken completely to southern phrases,because of who she married ,IMO,but she does not have a southern accent,so it sounds weird. Some things I notice:

You don't push a button here,you mash it.

A hose is a hose pipe

I say "parking space " most people here just say a "park."

I call it a shopping cart,people don't know what I'm talking about,it's a buggy here.

You don't cook food or serve someone a plate,you "fix" it.

Every soft drink is coke. If you order coke,they ask what kind.

Of course,the way certain words are pronounced it's different. It drives mom up the wall when sis says "THANKS-givin,not thanks-GIVING or IN-surance instead of inSURance. On my other hand mom and dad say "ruff" instead of roof and "rut beer" instead of root beer. Both annoy me,to be honest.

Ah,the whole supper/dinner debate. We grew up with breakfast, lunch and supper. I don't really see a consistent standard around here. But I HATE the word "supper." I don't know why. I say breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The whole/ma'am and sir thing are serious business here. I've been a ma'am since I first arrived here in the south.(another endearment mom can't stand) Most of us kids have never picked up this habit,and are often considered rude.

The phrase "Ima pray for you" is NOT always a friendly one. It's a genteel middle finger. Lol.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked amylou321
  • Hareball
    6 years ago

amylou321 my people on my mom's side of the family ended up in Wisconsin (after coming over from Germany/Prussia). I've never been there but my husband swears sometimes that I have the accent. I have many accents apparently. lol I love languages and cultures :)

My grandma used to say mash too lol And warsh.

My cousin says woof instead of wolf. haha

• nicole___
    6 years ago

Is toque pronounced Tuke? I used the dictionary to pronounce it for me and it rhymes with coke. Our friends from Canada called knit caps tukes. (long u)

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked nicole___
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    6 years ago

Of my three grown kids, the middle son, 35 y/o, still says "yes m'am, no m'am" to me. "Sir" to his dad and always to his elders as well.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • chisue
    6 years ago

In England, I got up from lunch in a restaurant and a lady said, "You dropped your wool-y, dear." Oh...my (disgusting American word), 'sweater'. Do Canadians say 'wool-y'? The term 'push chair' is certainly more accurate than 'stroller'.

amylou -- Surely you've heard the sweet, "Bless your heart," instead of F-you. I got that once when we Yankees attended a wedding in North Carolina and I was overheard asking DH why they served 'Christmas Bell' cookies. (Who knew there was an etiquette for which way the clapper was positioned?)

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked chisue
  • JoanMN
    6 years ago

Minnesotan here. We drink pop, eat breakfast, dinner and supper. We grew up on a farm, there were 3 big meals a day. Sometimes we had hot dish. Never casserole. Used a cart, toboggan, and hose.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked JoanMN
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

Nicole, the word toque (rhymes with coke) is French and is the word for the traditional hat worn by a chef - in that case, it's a toque blanche or white hat. It may have other uses too.

Gault & Millau is a company that rates restaurants, like Michelin does. They rate restaurants on a scale of 20, decent ones starting at maybe 12. At perhaps 13 or so (I forget), next to the rating number is a small image of a toque. Then two toques (at 14?), then as many as 5 as perfection at a rating of 20 is approached, though I wonder if any restaurant is rated at 20 and I haven't checked. So Michelin gives stars (3 is the max and is uncommon) and G&M gives toques, to signify the best restaurants they find.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Jasdip
    6 years ago

Amylou, I've never heard of "Ima pray for you" Right up there with 'bless your heart!" LOL

Nicole, toque is pronounced like the number 2, so twoque. I thought that might be easier to explain than toooook.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Jasdip
  • amylou321
    6 years ago

Oh yes. What's the rule? You can gossip or say anything about anyone as long as you follow it with "bless their heart." Lol.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked amylou321
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

jasdip, not in my hooose nor when referring to a chef's hat, eh!

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • ritaweeda
    6 years ago

Wow, my folks (WV) call a woolen cap a toboggan, too. And they call a paper bag a poke. And we ate Supper, not Dinner. We called all soft drinks Coke, but we had migrated down here to FL so it might be a FL thing. All my Yankee New England friends call it soda. Anything that wasn't right next to you was "over yonder". Mom would say "put it over yonder" and then we'd say "which yonder?" and you didn't cook dinner, you "fixed" it. I was really razzed because I pronounced TV with the emphasis on the T instead of the V. That's how my folks always said it. When we said we wanted "iced tea" is sounded like "ass tea". I'm sure there's a lot more that I can't think of right now.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked ritaweeda
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Janey, I was born in Alabama and I beg to differ. I never have used any of those terms, except maybe buggy sometimes, and neither did anyone in my family or any of my friends. Yes I have heard them from time to time, but not everywhere. Most of the time it’s just a cart. Hey, a place to park is just a ‘parking place’! I’ve also heard that strip between the sidewalk and the street called a ‘hell strip’.

We do refer to pretty much everything as Coke, unless it is the Pepsi brand you are asking for in a store. In Boston once many years ago, I asked for a Coke and got a Pepsi. We eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. My DH, from Ohio, always begs to differ and says it’s breakfast, dinner and supper.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked OutsidePlaying
  • bob_cville
    6 years ago

In Cincinnati where I grew up, The first two meals were breakfast and lunch, the third meal was called either dinner or supper which are synonyms. The woolen hat was called a "dunsel cap" which I've never heard elsewhere. You'd put soda in your shopping cart and swerve around the lady pushing a stroller. You might then get some water at the drinking fountain, and buy the fixin's for a subway sandwich and detergent to warsh your clothes in the warshing machine. I've banished this last one from my speech, but my sister still say "warsh" and it drives me crazy.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked bob_cville
  • jemdandy
    6 years ago

In southern Illinois, farm folks living on rural unpaved roads referred to concrete highways as "hard roads". The slang term for a paved road with 4 or more lanes is "super slab".

Go farther south and you'll hear "wite bread" for "white bread".

In Wisconsin, the term, bubbler, is fading away because bubblers have been phased out. Early drinking fountains in Milwaukee, WI and other Wisconsin cities were designed with a bowl having a central water tube usually with its top end a spherical shape. The water squirted out vertically and fell straight back on itself sometimes making a bubbling sound, thus the term, bubbler. These were deemed not sanitary as it was possible for water falling from a drinker's mouth to land on the bubbler head. This happens when the user shuts off the water and is yet leaning over the fountain. Replacement designs shoots a stream of water across the receiving pan and water falling from the drinker's mouth falls in the pan. This is true as long as there is a great enough flow to support a healthy steam across the pan. in adverse conditions with low flow, the user's mouth may go low enough to touch the fountain head - not good.

These new designs are usually called "drinking fountains" by Wisconsinites. The old design is still called bubblers.

• Sylvia Gordon
    6 years ago

I learned at family reunions that polite young women will say to the elders, and the relatives with canes or wheelchairs and the pregnant ladies,"let me help (pronounced "hep") your plate!" Thanks for the memory, make me smile.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Sylvia Gordon
  • Texas_Gem
    6 years ago

The very fact that anyone gets upset by being addressed as sir or ma'am is baffling to me and therefore, I suppose, evidence of my "southern roots". Any stranger of any age would be and is addressed as "sir/ma'am". I could be speaking to a 4 year old, a 40 year old or a 90 year old. "Sir/ma'am" is just me being polite because I don't know your name.

I legitimately understand supper being used as a proper term for your evening meal IF your main meal (aka dinner) is consumed mid-day.

What annoys the heck out of me is interchanging dinner and supper. They aren't the same thing.

*Breakfast-dinner-supper makes sense

*Breakfast-lunch-dinner makes sense

*Breakfast-lunch-supper makes NO sense, whatsoever.

Supper is a LIGHT meal consumed at the end of the day after your main meal. Think soup.

Dinner is your MAIN meal, consumed either mid-day OR evening.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked Texas_Gem
  • JoanMN
    6 years ago

Dictionary on the meaning of supper...an evening meal, typically a light or informal one. Ours were always informal.

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked JoanMN
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Regionalisms make life more interesting. Sometimes it's nice to change things up a bit just to see who notices.

Growing up, supper = dinner and everyone usually said "supper." Sometime long ago we switched to using "dinner" for the evening meal, I really don't know why.

My grandmother referred to "hair" as plural. As in, "Your hairs are so lovely". Was this from her first-generation German heritage?

I don't mind being called 'ma'am' or anything said politely. But I have had friends go on and on about "raising kids right" to always "show respect" by using "sir" and "ma'am." Well, good for you, but don't think for one minute that MY parents were remiss in raising ME just because they never made me say "sir or ma'am." Mom always said "actions speak louder than words."

lisaw2015 (ME) thanked nickel_kg
  • anoriginal
    6 years ago

the whole hoagie/sub thing makes me a bitcrazy cuz I KNOW what's what there and there's NO room for negotiation;)

you DO NOT put mayo on a real hoagie! if it has turkey or tuna, it AIN'T a hoagie... just a LONG turkey/tuna sandwich. if someone counts out number of slices of meat/cheese and it's already sliced... AIN'T a hoagie.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

Ah, TG, you're saying that some of your habits are regional? I'm vindicated!

I think the Sir/Madam thing can at times be the opposite of what you've described. From my observations in the South, it's sometimes not so much that this practice is to be polite, it's that the failure to do so can be viewed as being disrespectful. I'm thinking especially with black/white interactions when there's a bit of tension present. It's been relatively unheard and unknown "around these parts" on the West Coast where I am other than when used in a way I'd describe as perhaps quirky or irreverent. When in a store or elsewhere where employees provide service, one might here (with a bit of affectation) "Yes SIR, what can I do for you". It's neither polite nor disrespectful, maybe somewhere in the middle?

In the same regional setting, the meal at midday is lunch and the last meal is dinner, no matter what amount or type of food is involved. Lunch can be a sandwich or a container of yogurt, or a dinner-like larger meal in a restaurant. Both are lunch. The same for dinner, the last meal of the day. The word supper is rarely if ever heard.

• suellen19
    6 years ago

Couch, chesterfield, divan, sofa, davenport

different words for the same thing

• josephene_gw
    6 years ago

I have always liked calling unmarried ladies miss Jane or miss Alice.

i grew up in Alabama too. Hate it when people young enough to be my

granddaughter call me by my first name.

Didnt some call ref a frigerdair back in the day?

dh is from Minnesota. Moved many times now call it soda.

in al it was coke.

had friends from Pa say youens a lot. ya'll sounds better.

• josephene_gw
    6 years ago

My sisters in Al say "ha" not "hi"

• Sylvia Gordon
    6 years ago

I think Frigidaire used to be like Kleenex, a brand name used as a generic. I used to have a loan officer who said you'uns. Turns out she was from Florida LOL. Years later, on a public TV series, the story of English, I saw a program about accents or speech in certain American regions that mirrored regions in England. For instance, the Boston Brahmin accent was the same as, seems like, an Oxford accent. And as it turns out, people in Brooklyn and people in a certain area of Florida have the same accent because the people who originally settled those areas came from the same parts of Great Britain.

• chisue
    6 years ago

I bet you can still hear bits of Old English in Maine! Well, if you can get more than one word out of an elder. It's as though a person has a limited supply of words to ration over a lifetime.

My grandmother would inquire, "How are you keeping?" I think it's actually nicer than, "How do you DO?" (Do what?)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Supper is what you have at night if you had a big meal in the middle of the day. If you had Sunday DINNER (roast-potatoes-carrots-rice-green beans-gravy), then at night you had hash for supper.(leftovers scrambled with onion and worchestershire sauce).

When we have Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner, then at night we have leftovers for supper.

When everyone goes to work during the day and takes a sandwich for LUNCH, then we have DINNER at night.

6 years ago

I was wondering about the English/American connections to accents. Watching the Cornwall set Doc Martin (anyone remember the children's show Kipper- that's DocMartin) the other day and thought about how they say Louiser instead of Louise just like some parts of the US.

• maxmom96
    6 years ago

Where I live, as an original northerner, if people are using sir/ma'am (which I never taught my children to do when we moved to the south) is used as either a term of politness or respect, they DON'T have the right right to call e "sweetie" or "hon". I'm 81, by the way.

I've never understood the "hey" versus "hi" thing either. Is hey strictly a Southern thing?

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

Rita, there was a PBS series ages ago, maybe in the 80s, called The Story of English. I remember one of the episodes talked about how fragments of English regional words and pronunciations were present in certain American regional uses when a particular US area had an influx of people from one particular region of England. The Appalachian area was cited as one example but I don't remember what or from where.

• hooked123
    6 years ago

When I first moved from Ca to the Deep South I was surprised at many words. I had to ask a woman what she was talking about when she kept saying buggy. She explained that means grocery cart. When I heard another woman say, “you’ins” I though maybe she meant a type of sheep?? I asked someone what a you’in was, they explained it’s like y’all. I also was confused when I would help with the dishes at a dinner party and the hostess would say, “Put those casserole dishes up” why would she say up and then point to a cupboard that was down. I quickly learned putting something up in the south means anywhere that it’s supposed to go.

• Sylvia Gordon
    6 years ago

LOL, Sabbath, I've been hearing and saying "put things up" my whole life, never had thought about it. Canning is also called putting up ("Granny put up 40 quarts of tomatoes").

6 years ago

Elmer, thanks for the tip about the show. I will look it up online.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!