SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsmurray007

Tile Installer Walked Off Job - Do we owe him any money?

Jenn
6 years ago

So, as of today we had a bathroom tile job in progress for 2.5 weeks; this morning the installer got fed up with our decorative mosaic tile choice stating that the "pieces were falling off the backing" and he packed up and left us high and dry. Just like that!

I had let him know he could proceed with hanging the sheets of mosaic and my husband and I would happily apply thinset to the pieces that fell off and pop them in place ourselves (per the recommendation of a mosaic manufacturer), but he responded with a text message reading "I have been doing this for 30 years, I am done", he didn't even have the professional courtesy to call us. I thought I was misunderstanding him so I asked him to send a picture (maybe he meant done with the install?) and he texted me the message, "I quit".

We have been without a working shower for close to three weeks now and in all that time he only got 2/3 of our shower tiled, nevermind the rest of the bathroom.

My husband and I are both in the construction industry/have construction experience and treat our contractors very well (having felt the brunt of rude clients before). Our relationship had been altogether jovial and pleasant until his failure/meltdown today. He has a vacation next week and banged out sick the past two days, so all I can assume is that he is no longer able to provide meaningful service to his clients.

So my question is, do we owe him anything? We had verbally agreed on a price and he said he didn't charge for change orders and things like that. But since the price was quoted for a finished and complete installation, and I have all of his mental breakdown text messages including one stating he quit the project, is there any recourse on his part or is this a hands wiped clean situation?

Thanks!

Comment