SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Bagged potting mixes---possible to determine % of product in bag?

Have you noticed that companies are becoming more secretive about the products they are putting in bagged products? I have seen many bagged mixes that don't even state the name of the products within the bag! One large manufacturer does give good descriptions, but I need to buy mini pine bark to add to their mixes which is becoming increasingly difficult to find. Another large company (whom I phoned), told me that they couldn't tell me the percentage of the product within the bag. It was confidential! How can I mix this product when I don't really know how much of what is inside the bag?

I want to make a very well draining mix for my hosta in pots. One company I am aware of that makes a good product lists the ingredients as: forest products, coconut husk, worm castings, compost and perlite. I think the forest products are basically ground pine bark and I am able to purchase the other products individually. Why would I want to do that? It is difficult for me to purchase it because of the great distance.

I have been using pine bark in my mixes. I found one company with a good quality bark but just a bit too large. I went to purchase it a few weeks ago. (I wanted to make sure I had some available for early spring's repotting.) Now they have changed to an inferior product! So frustrating!

So back to my question: Is there a way to figure out the proportion of the products within a bagged mix?

Comments (11)