SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmac161

Best tips for building with large families in mind

B Mac
6 years ago

We're in the thick of new construction right now and I've benefited greatly from the threads here about "must-haves" in a house. I would love to start a thread specific to families with (many) kids. That's definitely a situation where some thought to design and selection of materials can make day-to-day living much more enjoyable. I’ll get it started but please comment below and make this thread even more useful for others come across it.

I'm a Don Aslett fan and not a huge fan of spending my time on housework needlessly, so a lot of the ideas I'm implementing have to do with efficiency in maintenance. One of his tenets is to clean as often as is desired/sanitary, but disguise the mess in between cleanings so you don’t make yourself crazy. Example: Choose a kitchen countertop that doesn’t show every speck of dirt. You want to be able to wipe it down after every meal and have it look decent the rest of the day despite the inevitable crumb accumulation.

Many of these ideas cost extra money, many of them don’t. Families with lots of kids are usually used to prioritizing where their dollars are best spent!

OUTSIDE:

- A bike path, circular drive, an oversized garage or covered patio - all to the same end: To provide the kids a place to ride/trike/scooter/run in circles OUTSIDE, preferably even when the weather is cold and wet.

- A foot bath by the backyard entrance. This can be as simple as river rocks + a spigot and a stool. My kids often end up shoeless as they play in the backyard and an outside footbath keeps them from flooding the bathroom.

- An outdoor chest-height drinking fountain to limit trips in and out and reduce the number of cups used.

GARAGE:

- A wall-mounted clean-up sink, with a stool for kids.

- Smart storage for bikes!

- Consider where you'd put a dedicated freezer or possibly extra fridge.

- Consider upsizing your garage if possible. This space is far less expensive to build than the rest of your house per square foot, and room to store hand-me-downs and baby gear is pretty great.

MUD ROOM:

- Funnel all entrances and exits through a mudroom if possible to limit locations of shoes, corral messes, and make locating and closing left-open doors easier!

- Location is key, as is having space for coats, shoes, possibly devices, backpacks, etc.

- Put really great mats before and after every exterior door. Those cut down a huge amount on the dirt and dust that end up in circulation in the house.

- Plan on it getting wet and muddy - think about what it needs to be used for during each season of the year (snow clothes, sports stuff, etc.)

- Choose a flooring with variation in the color so it can disguise everyday mess. Make it as close to your local dirt color as possible. :)

- Include a spot to hang damp clothes.

- We included a “drop zone” as well as a spot to show our family calendar and family motto, goals, and encouraging notes to each other, etc.

PANTRY:

- Make it BIG! and consider adding a pass-through so groceries can be carried more quickly in from the garage.

- Include a counter with outlets so the slow-cooker / rice cooker / bread machine can do their jobs without having to be hauled out and put away again.

- Include space for bigger bins (flour, beans, lentils at our house)

E-SPACE:

- Locate a family computer visible from the public space for internet safety/accountability.

- Have a drawer to stash/charge the family's devices, especially before bed.

KITCHEN:

- Consider having two sinks. Light or medium-toned Silgranit doesn't show water spots like stainless steel and holds up to abuse.

- Two dishwashers... that way one can get "unloaded" right onto the counter to fill with food and be carried to the table.

- Lots of windows and/or a solatube. You're likely to spend a LOT of time here and you want it to feel inviting.

- Consider bar seating to facilitate conversation / homework while you're cooking and cleaning up.

- Pay attention to the size of your pots and pans when sizing your cabinets. I made sure I had tall enough drawers for my stockpots.

- We raised the height of our island to make it comfortable to prep on since the adults in our family are tall and we spend a good bit of time making food!

DINING

- In addition to the regular eating area, consider if another nearby space could be used to set up folding tables when you host larger gatherings. Often a large family maxes out a big table without any extra guests!

AWAY ROOM:

- This is a place near the public space, and perhaps visually connected with a glass door but separate enough to allow for a "quiet zone". Whether the away room houses the main sources of noise (tv, toys, etc. ) or whether it house the introverts and their books, it allows the family to be "together" in connected spaces but honors individuals' differing levels of introversion.

FUN:

- If you're building your own home and you have young kids (or grandkids) be sure to add some magic when you can! Secret doors, loops to run around, reading nooks, monkey bars across the ceiling of the play room, a slide alongside the stairs...there are so many good ideas out there!

BATHROOM:

- Towel rods for all our kids were NOT going to fit in their bathroom so we are doing behind-the-door double towel racks for each room.

- We put timers on all our fans so I don’t have to hunt them down and turn them off, and we invested in an automatic humidity sensing fan in the kids’ shower room as well so I don’t have to worry if that room stayed damp.

- Put plenty of outlets in the bathrooms. Electric toothbrushes, hair dryers, flat irons, etc. can add up with a bunch of teenagers!

- Avoid sliding shower doors. Those tracks are always nasty and they’re painful to lean over when bathing kids.

- Hand showers are great for bathing kids (and dogs) (and hosing off a variety of other messes).

- Plan on storing cleaning supplies (especially a toilet brush) in every bathroom.

LAUNDRY ROOM:

- Locate it near the bedrooms.

- Have a place to hang dirty but damp laundry so it doesn't end up in the bottom of a hamper.

- Have a place to hang things on hangers right out of the washer or dryer so you can skip ironing.

- Have a place for a clean laundry basket for each room. Sorting can happen as you go, and kids can pick up and put away 1/week instead of trying to get each stray sock to distant bedrooms after each load of laundry.

- We bought a Dry-Away because I tend to hang dry lots of clothes (to avoid setting stains and to make clothes last longer, primarily). We also added a fan to the laundry room, a kitchen faucet/sprayer, and a nice deep silgranit sink. Yep, this room was a priority for me!

More ideas in the comments...

Comments (26)