SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

Remove 3 very large Eastern White Pines?

in ny zone5
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have 3 very large Eastern White Pines in my backyard, and wonder, if I should have them removed. Possibly in another 10 years they would be very big and more of a hazard? They are healthy.

I am not able to take a good picture due to other houses and trees, but here are some numbers. Their trunk diameters at my chest height are 29, 30 and 32 inches. Per a source on the internet, they then would be around 150 years old. The distances to my house are 36, 55 and 30 feet, in same order. All have been topped at times because I was afraid of their height then in respect to houses. Heights of the trees are now between 80 and 100 ft, my house is around 35 ft high (2 stories). 2 of them developed forks in the trunk at heights 30 to 40 ft many years ago.

Removing them would be expensive, would include removing other plantings and part of a fence to give access to trucks. I am not bothered by them dropping needles and cones right now. Needles are good for other plants.

I asked a friend, and he has such a pine 9 ft from his house and does not worry. How would you handle this situation?

Bernd

Comments (6)