SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
photo_synthesis

My Phals Thrive On Neglect...

Photo Synthesis
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I own five regular Phals, as well as seven mini Phals. They've stayed outdoors almost all year long, once it warmed up enough for them to do so. They've received direct sunlight early in the mornings and late in the evenings. All throughout the rest of the day, they received very bright indirect sun; very bright sunlight, almost too bright. Some leaves did get scorched one hot summer day when I forgot to move them back after watering them. But the sunburn was minimal and my Phals seemed to get over it fairly quickly.

Back in the springtime, I started to repot one of them, but stopped after I removed all of the old mix. I left it bareroot, thinking that I would buy some more potting mix soon enough. But the Lowe's that I always bought the mixes from had stopped carrying the brand that I use. Every time I went there and asked, nobody knew anything, and they pretty much gave me the runaround. Two years now, and I finally gave up on them. Whoever's running the place now has no idea what they're doing. They used to have such gorgeous orchids of all types, not just Phals. But for two years now, nothing. Very frustrating. I eventually ran out of the mix that I use, which is why my Phal was left bareroot all year long.

Long story short, I found out that I could order the mixes from Home Depot and have it shipped to my local store for free. Which sure beats the hell out of traveling to the next town over to go to Lowe's, only to come back home empty-handed yet again. Well, I was finally able to repot my Phals this past week. I still have three more to go. One thing that I noticed while repotting them was that most of them have started sending out flower spikes. I guess they're loving these warm days and chilly nights.

^ This is the one that remained bareroot all year long. The poor thing did receive some damage as it was growing. Despite having no potting mix, it still sent out roots through the inner net pot, so I wasn't able to remove it from the pot and repot it properly. Instead, I did the next best thing and just stuff as much of the mix in and around the roots as best as I could.
^ Considering the fact that it received more neglect than my others, it is currently sending out two spikes. Which I thought was pretty cool.

Another one that I wanted to point out is definitely one of my favorites. It has grown like crazy this year...

^ It was ready to bust out of the pot it came in. There are so many roots that the pot was warped. When I went to repot it, I could barely pry the plant out. I thought that I was just going to have to cut it away.

Now that the sun has moved down into the Southern Hemisphere, the sunlight isn't as intense and is more dispersed and weaker. Since my plants were already acclimated to very bright sunlight, I went ahead and moved them into direct sunlight all day long. I've kept a very close eye on them, knowing that I was pushing the limits. This second Phal was already a pale green color, but when I moved them into direct sun, its leaves have become a pale yellow color. Under other circumstances, I would be concerned, but the plant is very healthy and sending out one flower spike (so far). I'm hoping I get multiple spikes on all of them, haha. The warm sunny days and brisk chilly nights are most certainly helping.

^ Look how pale it is compared to the others. The blooms on this Phal resembled the typical large white blooms of other Phals, the only difference being that these blooms were a pale yellow color as well. Not the typical yellows that you find elsewhere. These are a pale pastel yellow color. In all my years of growing orchids, I had never seen this particular color before. You can see the flower spike emerging from the top right. Of all of my orchids, this is the one that I want to see again the most. I wish I had taken photos of the previous bloom spike, just so I had something to show you what I am talking about. The color was just so unique. I nicknamed this orchid "Blondie," for the pale yellow leaves and the pale yellow blooms.

I did a quick search and this is the closest resemblance that i could find...

^ Instead of being the typical white, the whole flower is a pale yellow.
^ Here are my cute little mini Phals. These remained in their tiny little pots that they're sold in all year long. Once I finally got my potting mix, I was finally able to repot them into the brand new dual core pots that I bought for them. For a size reference, these are 3" pots. Several of them have sent out flower spikes, too.
^ As for these dual core pots, I absolutely love them! I already owned the 5" pots. The large pot in the photo is the one that stayed bareroot all year. Its roots can be seen coming out the bottom. Having an inner net pot inside of the clear outer pot does wonders for orchids. Their roots stay nice and humid and get all of the fresh air that they need. Mine certainly love them. I plan on buying more of them later on. Such an ingenious design.

Comments (3)