SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nightrider97

help! my gf's phal orchid is dying!

nightrider97
13 years ago

Guys, and gals, I really need some help here. I bought my girlfriend a Purple Phal Orchid for a housewarming gift when she moved away to college this year. Well its life in my/her care has gone like this, bloomed for 3 weeks, got very sick and we struggled with getting it back to health again, I took it to my old boss and we re-potted it and kept it in a greenhouse for 2 weeks and it grew 3 inches and started blooming like crazy, I took it back to my GF, the blooms kept getting bigger and bigger but never bloomed, then it got sick again, and now its dying. 3 or 4 leaves have died and fallen off, and 2 more feel loose at the base. The leaves that are left are yellow, have holes in them and a nasty looking whitish haze on them. The stems are like 2.5ft tall and have 2-4 blooms on each of them.

I'm no expert with plants but worked for a greenhouse for 5 years when it was a teenager. Give me something mechanical and I can fix it or make it run better, faster and more reliably. But plants are a different story. My thoughts on the sickly leaves, with the white haze giving me the clue, is that the college does chlorine treatments in their water supply and thats why it would do great for several weeks and then all of a sudden get sick. Just my thoughts.

PLEASE HELP! She loves this plant like its our first child, I can't fathom it dying.

Here's the details of her care.

Watered only when it almost completely dried out.

Fertilized every other watering.

Kept under grow lamps and in a window (northern facing, but some light reflected into it).

Room temp was about 72*.

Not sure what else to say.

Please help!

I can get a pic if you want.

Sean

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus