SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela_smith7792

Fireplace mantle height ... am I overreacting????

Angela Smith
6 years ago
New construction home. Carpenters installed our reclaimed Barnwood fireplace mantle today. There will be no hearth and there will be stone from the bottom of the mantle to the floor. We had talked about having the top of the mantle 63" above the floor due to code and it being a combustible material. Instead, they put the bottom of the mantle at 63" and the mantle itself is 6.5" high. We have 9' ceilings so that only leaves about 38" of space between the top of the mantle and the ceiling. I think it looks absolutely ridiculous and terrible. My husband disagrees.

Normally, I would have them take it down and lower it. However, it is already installed with construction adhesive. It is likely that the mantle would be significantly damaged during removal, to the point that we cannot reuse it. The mantle was a labor of love, the piece of wood was custom picked out by us and completely refinished by my husband to the tune of about 20 hours worth of work.

I just feel like it looks ridiculous. From a decorating standpoint, I don't even know what I would put above it. It's not even tall enough for art or anything else. I feel like it totally defeats the purpose of having a mantle. This is a fresh, new problem and I feel like I'm overreacting so I need your unbiased opinions!

Comments (52)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

take it off. you will never be happy. maybe you can run a thin wire behind it to loosen it. if it hasn't completely set yet, it should come off. it will ruin the wall before the wood so be prepared to patch. I have the same type of mantle and the bottom of it sits at 41" (which is fine because the FP is inoperable).

but even lowering yours 7" would help.

However, maybe w/whatever stone or tile you've chosen, it won't look quite that bad. Not sure since I can't really get perspective. what's the stone you've chosen?

the way it is now, it's prob going to look like this picture when done (this mantle is thinner, but you get the idea w/the space )

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Lower it. I don't think that code even applies with this kind of fireplace.

• Related Discussions

Fireplace Mantle Height

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello - How tall should a fireplace mantle be for a 8 ft high ceiling? Width of wall is about 13 feet. I know height can vary, but on average what would you recommend for mantle height? Thank you!
    ...See More

Mantle or no mantle over fireplace??

Q

Comments (21)
    @ Mike Lipsky- sorry im just seeing your question. we love our fireplace in master bedroom. sorry im out of town on business so dont know height of oir fireplace but i do know we’re very happy with height we selected. i do know when we were considering what height for fireplace, we took into consideration view of fireplace when seated in bedroom chairs as well as when in bed so we could see lovely gas fire flames. would love to see a picture of your installed fireplace
    ...See More

How do I accessorize a floor-height fireplace mantle?

Q

Comments (3)
    A tv and speakers are not "decoration"...get that tv on a stand and the speakers somewhere else. then find a large piece of art and hang it over the fire box. A tall plant to the right and a small round pot and 2 or 3 candlesticks on the left.
    ...See More

How should I decorate my fireplace mantle?

Q

Comments (6)
    Remove the mirro it reflects nothing worth seeing twice . I do not like all the stuff on shelves in kitchens but if this is the look you love then get piece of art thay would look great in the kitchendecor and put it on the mantel to beging with then candles more like the ones in the kitchen only a bit taller and bigger around . IMO the Edison bulbs in all the fitures are casting a yellow glow on everything IMO not falttering but you need to decide if that yellow glow is what is making your kitchen feel warm along with the kitchen wall color, which I bet if you changed all your bulbs to LED 4000K ,would look very different too.
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

Yes, even these have clearance requirements found in the installation instructions that must be followed per code.

Any mantle that heavy will look strange until a hearth is added to balance it, even if you lower it.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Mine is called zero clearance gas insert.

• User
    6 years ago

"Mine is called zero clearance gas insert" - you had better go read your installation instructions.

In the fireplace world, "insert" refers to a unit designed to go INSIDE an existing masonry fireplace. Therefore, the clearances to combustible materials on 5 sides of the unit are taken care of by the existing masonry (noncombustible) construction.

"Zero Clearance" is a totally different category of fireplaces than "Inserts". It is generally considered an oxymoron to use both term for the same fireplace.

A "zero clearance" fireplace is a standalone unit that can have wood framing and drywall very close to 5 sides of the unit. (No masonry protection)

Here are the clearance requirements to the first "zero clearance gas fireplace" that came up in a Google search. Clearances for the Front Face (exposed area) of the unit, and mantle are NOT "zero".

• nicole___
    6 years ago

Lower it. Any damage to the mantle or wall can be fixed.

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    That’s rong, with a capital R.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Even " zero clearance" has a fireproof code, most times, ( 10" on top, 8" on two sides Usually a mantel needs 12" above the heat source; You have the wrong firebox for what you wanted in a final look. Very Sorry for the 20 hour labor of love, but either live with it, reduce the mantel thickness to 1/2............or remove it. You needed the firebox at floor level......no matter what mantle or stone. A Mendota zero clearance/ full view firebox below. The brick is not there just for decoration.....: )

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

My fireplace was a gas starter wood burning fireplace with a huge brick surround that was vented out of a chimney. The stack that led to the chimney was a pipe that accessed the master bedroom fireplace with a log set. When we remodeled we direct vented the lower fireplace and installed the insert, there was no masonry surround. We do not need a hearth because it is not a wood burning fireplace and because it is completely enclosed (it operates with a remote) only the wall board above the unit needs to be fire rated. We just have stacked stone, but we could have had a mantle anywhere. There is no upward heat. Its basically a gas heater.

• User
    6 years ago

"There is no upward heat. Its basically a gas heater." - another oxymoron.

Heat always rises. Even an electric cooktop is required to have clearance to anything combustible above it, and a cooktop is not designed to heat the whole room. Even gas water heaters have minimum clearances to combustible materials adjacent to, and above them.

"We had talked about having the top of the mantle 63" above the floor due to code and it being a combustible material." - clearly, the OP's fireplace has clearance requirements.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO the mantel does not work at all I would use that piece for a shelf somewhere else and hang a piece of art above the fireplace

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Yeah. No freaking way. What code has you measure from the FLOOR, not heat source?? I'll bet you have very tall contractors-I had reverse problems because my guys were gnomes.

As Fred said, perhaps a little crankily, check the manual for the fireplace.

That being said, whether you need a hearth or not, I feel you need one to aesthetically balance the mantle regardless of the height. Otherwise, use the beam elsewhere and create a smooth, sleek look with stone from floor to ceiling.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Sleek fireplaces:
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

The mantle won't be ruined by repositioning.

• acm
    6 years ago

If this mantel is 6'5" off the floor, hanging it two inches lower is not going to make a meaningful difference visually or in terms of space above -- like a drop in the bucket. You didn't say how thick it is, so maybe it's significantly lower. I agree that stone might make the difference, but it does seem odd to need a ladder to reach the mantel, at whatever height!

Here's the current mantel height with stone added underneath. It looks proportional, anyway...

(yes, I'm sure this is totally the wrong stone...)

Here I have moved it down by its own thickness. Is that worth whatever destruction would be required of wall and/or beam?

Angela Smith thanked acm
  • Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Follow the firebox required clearance not someone's opinion.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    The size of your firebox may be the issue. When I look at the picture, especially ACM's rendering with stone, it looks in proportion. Then I imagine a person standing under the mantle and it seems like it belongs in a giant's house. Best option: no mantle.
  • Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Guessing someone saw a picture and said" I want that" and failed to do the math and homework. I would bet the builder is not at fault.
  • shwshw
    6 years ago

Great mockup ACM. That stone makes all the difference.

• DH
    6 years ago

Following.

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    This is just not ok:
  • PRO
    Interior Effects by Michael McNamara
    6 years ago

greenfish 1234 is correct

remove mantle and use elswhere

stone to the ceiling

install a hearth

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    By the way, some advice from someone who ticked off her contractors with a number of requests to tear out and redo. Often, you can get tangled up in the emotions involved, and spend more time and energy pointing fingers and figuring out who's going to pay for what. Sometimes getting the job done right is all that matters. I do have a running list of boo-boos that I let go that I notice every day. No one else does though. Most of the biggest biggest boo-boos I had to eat financially, but the corrections resulted in the best features of my home and I don't fret over those one bit. It's the things that are left wrong that bother you the most.
  • Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I appreciate everyone's advice. ACM, I especially appreciate the mock up. It really helped. We recognize that this is our error in not doing the proper homework based on the sheer size of our (huge) mantle. We are getting options to repair it, at our cost. We still don't know why the firebox was installed at 12" above the floor, and probably never will. And that's OK. Greenfish, I have running list of boo boo's that I am letting go as well, but I don't think this can be one of them. I just feel the mantle is way too high and doesn't leave the proper room above for white space, decor, etc. I would be fretting about it and wishing I would have changed it while I had the chance. We are looking into ripping out the mantle and installing a much smaller one at a lower height (which will still meet code), as well as doing stone to the ceiling to help potentially eliminate some costly drywall repair.

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    I think you are correct that this is one you can't let slide. Keep us up-to-date! If you must do a mantle, add a hearth
  • User
    6 years ago

"What code has you measure from the FLOOR, not heat source??" - many architects and GCs like to translate everything into AFF for consistency when relaying these things to the people who actually do the work. I am sure the installation instructions read differently. Obviously, it was not very consistent this time.

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am dead set on a mantle. I have never had a fireplace and have been dreaming of a fireplace and mantle since we decided to build. We will figure it out.

• DH
    6 years ago

I don't think you're over reacting. Have them remove it. Patch the wall, and reinstall it where you want it to go. I think mistakes are going to happen when building or remodeling a home, and you have to deal with each situation as it comes. This one doesn't seem very hard to fix, and I think you deserve to have it the way you want it, especially when you have personally invested as much time and energy as you have into the mantle. There may be other mistakes that you will decide you can live with. Hope everything turns out well.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

If you're going to do stone to the ceiling, I would keep this mantel and lower it as much as possible to stay within code. If you do anything thinner, I think it will look out of proportion to the fireplace wall.

• Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Did the builder provide an elevation drawing of the wall? I would question why the box was installed as if it was get a hearth.And whether the stone is veneer or tile I always adhere to a cement board, hardiboard, or the appropriate backer, not sheetrock.
  • greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    Good points Matt Man.

I think the dedication to a mantle is great. Mine was a huge design challenge due to factors beyond my control (including a stack pipe and raised hearth) I ended up hiring a designer to help work it all out. I show it because it uses a beam and has a (slightly skimpy but had to be) hearth. Good lighting is key (turned up to bright here but you get it).
    Angela Smith thanked greenfish1234
  • DH
    6 years ago

Cute kitty, greenfish!

• virginia lynn
    6 years ago

If you moved the wood down and put a steel plate on the bottom of it for safety would that be allowed?

• greenfish1234
    6 years ago
    I know I'm still going modern on you, but that beam would make a nice "floating hearth" if code allowed...
  • User
    6 years ago

@virginia lynn - "If you moved the wood down and put a steel plate on the bottom of it for safety would that be allowed?" Apparently, per the installation instructions, it can come down about 6.5" as is. A steel plate attached to the bottom is not an approved means of any further clearance reduction since the heat will travel right through it.

Section G2409

https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/document/code/553/9854210

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Update - we are getting a quote to lower the mantle as well as add stone to the ceiling. In the meantime, to get a better idea for the space, I bought some art/decor to see how it looks. It's not hung/arranged properly nor is it 100% what I would ultimately choose -- but gave me a better idea of how the space could be filled, if we end up keeping the mantle as is.
  • Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We're also considering adding corbels and/or laying matching piece right below the mantel that doesn't protrude out as far, like half way out.
  • suzyq53
    6 years ago

That looks good. No to the corbels. Maybe just stone to the mantle.

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This isn't our exact stone, but it's close. This is what's currently spec'd up to the mantle.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I love you greenfish1234!, took the words right out of my head!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    One more point. Is that mantel even deep enough to set anything on it? Are you planning a TV for this room? Think about those factors. I would want a mantel to fit wall to wall instead of sticking out like that one. So to answer your original question, no you are not over-reacting. And yes, it should be lowered to code level (over top of firebox). No big deal to fix wall. Just move it.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

The things you've put on it are good scale for the mantel and the wall but I would definitely move it down if it's at all possible. I really feel it would just be more aesthetically pleasing and look more proportional.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Adding the hearth was a good idea to balance it out. It looks great!

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Came out really nice! Glad you're happy with it.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Code for mantel is minimum 12 inches from an opening.

• User
    6 years ago

That is code for a masonry fireplace. A factory built fireplace is subject to different requirements based on testing by an independent laboratory to conform to certain standards based on the designed output of the unit.

Since the OP will not post the brand and model of fireplace, we would have no clue what it says in the installation instructions.

• Angela Smith
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Our mantle depth is 7" (bottom axis) so it has to be 15" out.
  • shwshw
    6 years ago

So happy for you, the fireplace looks great. Fred S, I love all the technical knowledge that you have. Thanks for sharing with us.

• 8 Quail Lane North Easton
    17 days ago

So happy you found a solution! We are dealing with the opposite problem where mantel was installed too low given it’s 2” deep. As soon as we turned on fireplace, the paint bubbled. We have two possible solutions:

1. Ask for a 1” deep rebuild of top breastplate so we can preserve up to 46” from floor and try to keep side columns
    2. Stick with 2” depth and cut mantel to the top blue painters tape line 48” and remove side columns altogether. Any advice? Note: there are marble tiles behind all of this millwork so exposing is no problem. I just want the right proportions.