SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devyon

Silestone Calacatta Gold to trendy?

devyon
6 years ago

I am so trying to decide on a quartz or our kitchen. We have it narrowed down to both Silestone Calacatta Gold and MSI Calacatta Vicenza. Obviously they are 2 different looks. CV is much simpler and not as bold as CG. Is CG to trendy?

Comments (52)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

depends what type of kitchen you have. if it's a little, L shape traditional, go cheaper. if you have a nice large island where that movement can be appreciated (waterfall edge maybe?) then do that one. The 2nd one is a bit more contemporary looking, but still traditional with the right set up.

this is a beautiful fabrication job. with this stone, matching up these veins is important.

works w/traditional too. (I know these are different tops, but similar in looks)

it would also work in this kitchen

devyon thanked Beth H. :
  • devyon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Beth H! I guess by to trendy I meant is the Calacatta Gold too bold and will I get tired of it quickly. Our kitchen is much like the third pic you posted.

• Related Discussions

white paint to go with Silestone Eternal Calacatta Gold Countertops

Q

Comments (67)
    Hi Ashley, Beau Beautiful kitchen! I believe your countertop is the silestone Calcutta Eternal Gold? i really like your backsplash and I’m having difficulties picking one. Do you remember who makes it or where you purchaed it?
    ...See More

LG Minuet or Silestone Calacatta Gold Quartz?

Q

Comments (9)
    We are currently remodeling our kitchen. Installing bright white shaker cabinets, and chose Silestone Calacatta Gold. I think I looked at every quartz option out there...I was driving myself crazy. I didn't wan't anything too bold, or too busy, or too dark. I like that it reads more "white" from a distance, and you notice the lighter veining once closer. We will be using a light gray matte finish back splash tile, champagne bronze pulls, and lighter wood look vinyl plank flooring. Still nervous about how it will all look once completed, since we're piecing it all together...but we'll see soon!
    ...See More

Best color silicone for Silestone Et. Calacatta Gold?

Q

Comments (7)
    For being a translucent white, that does look awfully gray. It doesn’t look as dark in the seam behind the yellow teapot and garlic keeper. Where exactly is that close up area in your first picture, where it looks so gray? Do you think it could be picking up color from another surface nearby? That gray does stand out a bit more than I’d like. Did your fabricator show you a sample of the silicone or did you just figure translucent white was white?
    ...See More

Silestone Calacatta Gold…Oldie but Goodie

Q

Comments (4)
    Actually next week they are coming to paint. We are doing BM Blanco OC151 on the permiter and BM Hale Navy on Island. When I brought my sample I had of Silestone Calcatta Gold, the designer at the paint store felt it was to yellow for the quartz.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

then it should work. but you will be living w/this for the next decade or however long, so choose wisely. I can't answer if you will get tired of it, only you know that one!

I don't really care what's trendy if I'm the one living in my house and looking at it everyday. styles change every few years. I'm sure gray will be long gone in 5 and some other color will take command.

devyon thanked Beth H. :
  • williann
    6 years ago

If you kitchen is like the 3rd picture, then I love it! At first I thought Calacatta Gold was a little to much for my liking, but it looks amazing in that 3rd photo.

And I like what Beth H said about trends! I totally agree.

• PRO
    Econ Granite
    6 years ago

Hi we're marble installers, anything "marble" is trendy right now ! My suggestions is to go for a subtle light colored quartzite like a Sea Pearl Quartzite or a Taj Mahal Quartzite that can stand the test of time. The thick grey veining on some of the man made materials can look very "fake" sometimes. Manmade quartz might the formica of the future.

devyon thanked Econ Granite
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Marble has already stood the test of time and IMO quartz that looks like marble will do the same and with less worry. Do what you love and stop worrying about trends that come and go faster than any of us can afford to keep up

devyon thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Margaret Schultz
    6 years ago
    What Patricia said. Bingo.

I don’t think fabricated stone will go ‘out’ anytime in the near or far future.

Here’s how you choose: which one gives you the most joy? Pick that one.
  • K R
    5 years ago
    Those are beautiful slabs Diane!
  • fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    5 years ago

My stone guy says that someday soon there will be technology to coat real marble with a glass to make it just as practical as granite. IMHO at that point the faux marble of today will be like the cultured marble of the 1970s/80s bathroom.

I always choose a natural stone and let it be itself - quartzite is a great choice if you want something quieter than granite.

• K R
    5 years ago
    That’s great news but until then I’ll take Quartz because I can’t handle being overly worried all the time.
  • ari123
    5 years ago

I think you mean, " Is the gold too trendy??? (otherwise I am very confused)

• daryn1683
    4 years ago

Diane - can you post a pic of the eternal calacatta gold installed? I am struggling with if it will be too much, or not as well!

• M L
    4 years ago

I hope not, because 3 years later, and I chose CG for the house I'm building. waterfall on the side of the island.

• eld6161
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just did it in my Florida home.

Our installer said it was still the most popular and they are installing it daily.

• M L
    4 years ago

thanks! I'm building in Florida. your kitchen looks lovely!

• RCA
    4 years ago

I feel while quartz is a great product if selected correctly, the really bold patterns will likely become dated and, again to me, only work well aesthetically in minimal modern spaces.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Devyon, if you are on the west coast I can recommend Imex in Ft Myers. They did a fantastic job.

• J w
    4 years ago

How does this compare to Cambria brittanicca? They look so similar to me other than the price differs a lot...

• mcd 595
    4 years ago

I think the Brittanica has much bolder coloring. The Silestone appears softer. Brittanica also has a swoosh pattern that looks like a wave, whereas the Silestone pattern is more organic, IMHO. I have looked at Cambria, both Brittanica and Elsa, but I like the subtle pattern in the Silestone a little better. Elsa is pretty, but is much more grey and the striations are very linear. I have priced out the Cambria, but not the Silestone. I'm hoping the Silestone is less expensive. Just curious what you've found based on your comment.

• Tracey
    4 years ago

I am building a new home and looking at Silestone Calcutta Gold. I do not want the maintenance of real marble. I am working with an Interior Designer and she is fine with using it. Our kitchen showroom designer said he has real Calcutta Marble in his home and it has stains all over it after just having for 1.5 years. He sealed it and did everything as advised but real marble is just a HIGH maintenance product. I don’t want the commitment to having a high maintenance kitchen. I love the look of the quartz products and it is a no brainer for me.

• Diane Hanselman
    4 years ago

I have it. Not impressed. All i see is plastic. Maybe its the finish? Mine is more of a satin or matte. And my edges are rounded. The veining is not impressive at all. Sorry i chose calcutta gold. I prefer granite. Not stain resistant and turns gray if anything hot gets placed on it. Even just a fast food container. The seems looked great in the beginning and werent very visable. Now you can see them easily.

• J w
    4 years ago

@Diane Hanselman thanks for the feedback!

• Tracey
    4 years ago

Diane can you post a photo of your kitchen please? Would love to see how it turned out!

• cue003
    3 years ago

We are considering the this countertop as well. I too will be interested in seeing pictures of your countertop Diane to help with our decision.

• patty sonnenschein
    3 years ago

Eld6161 what color r your cabinets?

• eld6161
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sorry Diane that yours are staining. I have yet to see a stain that can’t be cleaned with water. Mine are shiny.

Also, I think seams are more the installation than the product. We watch how ours went in.

Patty the color is Archtic White by Ultracraft Cabinetry.

• Dawn
    3 years ago

Does anyone have natural cherry cabinets...? I was thinking about getting CG, but not sure how it would look. I was looking at Lusso color too, but decided that it was too creamy.

Please post more pics, I am nervous about getting them now after reading Diane's post!

Please share pics

• Dawn
    3 years ago

Here is pic of my kitchen. thoughts about CG. I need to replace floor and paint walls...any suggestions are welcome

Was planning to extend island a foot longer. We have about 55sq

• Miles Daley
    3 years ago

I think it would probably look quite nice with the contrast of the stone to cabinet.

• Tricia Delgallego
    3 years ago

Diane
    Was you Calacatta Gold polished or mattte?

• bjbohnert
    3 years ago

Is the background of Calcutta Gold off white or pure white. I am going to paint my cabinets and was thinking of using white umber paint color which is very neutral. The walls on adjacent rooms are Greige and I am doing brass accents and hardware with some slight Asian influence, Nee some help with deciding on Gold Calcutta or Classic Calcutta. Any help would be appreciated.

• Mariella Levesque
    2 years ago

This is an older post and I am wondering what you ended up doing. Sadly the thread just stopped.

• David Lin
    2 years ago

The comments have been very helpful as we’re also looking at Calacatta quartz/porcelain countertop options.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

I love the polished granite in our kitchen and master bathroom.

• George
    2 years ago

@bjbohnert the background of silestone Calcutta gold is a very light gray. In picture it appears white but if you put it against a more white quartz like Ceaserstone Empira White, or white cabinets the grey really stands out.

• mcapozella
    2 years ago

The background of Calcutta gold is a light gray?? I'm confused. I went to Cosentino and in the showroom, the large slab is showing a very white background for  Calcutta gold.. I am putting  quartz in my kitchen and I am looking for something with a very white background. Don't want Calcutta gold if it is gray. Please help. Thank you.

• George
    2 years ago

@mcapozella Calacatta Gold (note the correct name..it's not 'Calcutta') has a very light gray background. It looks white until you put it against something more white like cabinets painted BM Chantilly Lace. Ceaserstone's Empira White has a very white background.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@David Lin - if you start a new post, you’ll get people’s hopes have used these product and hopefully some updated photos of their kitchens.

• Lucia Brown
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

For me, Calacatta Gold is perfect for a modern kitchen design. Its design is made up of a profound and elegant white background with faint blueish grey veining and a shimmer of gold to replicate the lavish look of marble that we all love. For more details you can head over to silestone calacatta gold review

• Stacy Norris
    2 years ago

I’m afraid this pic is Silestone Calacatta Classic, not Silestone Calcatta Gold. That’s why it’s so confusing on the internet. I am currently reviewing slabs for my kitchen and have been solely going on pics online for my choice and now I’m thinking I thought the CG was in actuality CC…. Deceiving pictures. Not saying it’s intentional just hard to get clarity.

• Jolene
    2 years ago

I’m so overwhelmed idk if I should get this too ? I’m afraid it will look dated !

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Everything will eventually be dated. I can tell you color is shifting to warmer. There are quartz that have beige instead gray veining.

That said, people are still installing the gray color wave.

What is alternative? Many of the granite colors seem dated now.

I like my quartz and will enjoy it for many years.

• Lori S
    2 years ago

I keep seeing different posts of the calacatta gold and it seems like in some posts it is much softer. Are there more than 1? I am looking at the siltestone calacatta gold

• eld6161
    2 years ago

As of two years ago when I got mine, it's a brighter white which why it paired well with my bright white cabinets.

• Carol Saner
    last year

Lori S, Sorry late to your post. What did you choose? I have the silestone calacatta Gold for over a year now and it is very white. softer looking than some of the pictures. quite subtle. which I wanted, our fabricators were awesome. I got to see the cut out on the computer of the slab and he did take into consideration I did not want anything too busy or bold. I still love it it looks great but I wish at the time I would have checked out quartzite as well. So many choices.

• tomolsen7
    last year

Is the veining of the Silestone Et Calacatta Gold very noticeable and bold in person? In some photos the veins look subtle and very light gray. In other photos they appear much darker. I prefer a very subtle vein appearance. Is Silestone’s calacatta gold too stripey? I would love to hear some opinions.

• Stacy Norris
    last year

Just be aware it does have slight brown veining. I don’t think it’s “stripey”… more like veins haha.
    Depending on how well your area is lit, the calcatta gold is subtle.

• Stacy Norris
    last year

Daylight pics

• George
    last year

@tomolsen7 the veining of the Silestone Et Calacatta Gold is vary faint in some places barely noticeable. Most advertising for this quartz is misleading and filters the photo to look as if the veins are dramatic. Honestly I think it looks really plastic and fake in person. The white part with no veining is white with no movement at all. If you have a showroom go to it. In person they all look much different and much different when they are view as a large slab.