SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heldmacm

Wiring Help Needed Reinstalling Ceiling Fan with Possible Loop Switch

heldmacm
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

I suspected one of my ceiling fans wasn't installed to a ceiling fan rated electrical box, and after removing the fan, I was unfortunately correct. I'm going to have an appropriate box put in, and then I intend to rehang the fan, but looking at the wires coming from the current electrical box is giving me some pause. I have two sets of black, white and ground wires, and based on what I've read online, I believe I have a loop switch. I don't know when this wiring was done, but in the event it helps the house was built in 1957.

The below picture shows what I currently have in the electrical box with the fan removed. I have not untwisted any of the previous braided wiring other than what was necessary to remove the fan.

In the above picture, using a non-contact voltage tester with the power on, I got "beeps" from all wires (or sets of wires) with the exception of the two white wires braided together (the second from the right). With the power off at the box, none of them produced beeps.

I tried to be proactive and take pictures of the wiring before I took down the fan, but unfortunately, those pictures turned out awful either due to forgetting to turn on the phone's flash and/or I wasn't holding the phone steady when taking them. I don't expect these will help much, but below are the pictures with the fan bracket and remote sensor still in place before I undid any wiring.

The below shows a wire that was previously capped / not connected to anything else after I removed the wire nut:

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can help confirm whether this is indeed a loop switch, and either way, what the appropriate way to connect these wires is once the electrical box is replaced. The fan has a set of black and white wires on one side of the yellow receiver that was (marked AC IN L and AC IN N, respectively) and a wire marked antenna that was not previously connected to anything (it's the one hanging in the pictures). On the other side of the receiver, there's a black wire (TO MOTOR L), white wire (TO MOTOR N) and blue wire (FOR LIGHT). There's also a green wiring hanging down from the downrod (that's not connected to the receiver) that isn't marked but I assume is a grounding wire, and I found a green pigtail connected to a screw (no markings, but I, as well.

As far as how I'd like the fan to work after it's reinstalled, I'd like it to work as it did before. Flipping the single wall switch turned on both the fan and light but only if both were previously on via either the pull chains or remote. If the fan and/or light were previously off when the wall switch was last on, they'll remain off the next time it's turned on. In other words, the last state is maintained when flipping on the wall switch. There aren't any other wall switches in this room; the only others are in the bathroom connected to this room.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help with this. Thanks in advance, and please let me know if you have any questions about the above or need any additional information.

Comments (8)