SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 10 - 18 - 17

User
6 years ago

Helen Hunt Jackson Quotes
American - Writer October 18, 1831 - August 12, 1885

I know the lands are lit, with all the autumn blaze of Goldenrod.
Helen Hunt Jackson

By all these lovely tokens September days are here, With summer's best of weather And autumn's best of cheer.
Helen Hunt Jackson

Bee to the blossom, moth to the flame; Each to his passion; what's in a name?
Helen Hunt Jackson

The goldenrod is yellow, The corn is turning brown, The trees in apple orchards With fruit are bending down.
Helen Hunt Jackson

Motherhood is priced Of God, at price no man may dare To lessen or misunderstand.
Helen Hunt Jackson

If I could write a story that would do for the Indian one-hundredth part what 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' did for the Negro, I would be thankful the rest of my life.
Helen Hunt Jackson

When Time is spent, Eternity begins.
Helen Hunt Jackson

O sweet, delusive Noon, Which the morning climbs to find, O moment sped too soon, And morning left behind.
Helen Hunt Jackson

If I can do one hundredth part for the Indian that Mrs. Stowe did for the Negro, I will be thankful.
Helen Hunt Jackson

There is nothing so skillful in its own defense as imperious pride.
Helen Hunt Jackson

But great loves, to the last, have pulses red; All great loves that have ever died dropped dead.
Helen Hunt Jackson

When love is at its best, one loves so much that he cannot forget.
Helen Hunt Jackson

Words are less needful to sorrow than to joy.
Helen Hunt Jackson

As soon as I began, it seemed impossible to write fast enough - I wrote faster than I would write a letter - two thousand to three thousand words in a morning, and I cannot help it.
Helen Hunt Jackson

But all lost things are in the angels' keeping, Love; No past is dead for us, but only sleeping, Love; The years of Heaven with all earth's little pain Make Good Together there we can begin again, In babyhood.
Helen Hunt Jackson

On the king's gate the moss grew gray; The king came not. They call'd him dead; And made his eldest son, one day, Slave in his father's stead.
Helen Hunt Jackson

Love has a tide!
Helen Hunt Jackson

O month when they who love must love and wed.
Helen Hunt Jackson

When the baby dies, On every side Rose stranger's voices, hard and harsh and loud. The baby was not wrapped in any shroud. The mother made no sound. Her head was bowed That men's eyes might not see Her misery.
Helen Hunt Jackson

There cannot be found in the animal kingdom a bat, or any other creature, so blind in its own range of circumstance and connection, as the greater majority of human beings are in the bosoms of their families.
Helen Hunt Jackson

Great loves, to the last, have pulses red; All great loves that have ever died dropped dead.
Helen Hunt Jackson

I shall be found with 'Indians' engraved on my brain when I am dead. A fire has been kindled within me, which will never go out.
Helen Hunt Jackson

Henri Bergson Quotes
French - Philosopher October 18, 1859 - January 4, 1941

To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.
Henri Bergson

There is no greater joy than that of feeling oneself a creator. The triumph of life is expressed by creation.
Henri Bergson

To perceive means to immobilize... we seize, in the act of perception, something which outruns perception itself.
Henri Bergson

Wherever anything lives, there is, open somewhere, a register in which time is being inscribed.
Henri Bergson

Some other faculty than the intellect is necessary for the apprehension of reality.
Henri Bergson

Our laughter is always the laughter of a group.
Henri Bergson

Sex appeal is the keynote of our civilization.
Henri Bergson

In its entirety, probably, it follows us at every instant; all that we have felt, thought and willed from our earliest infancy is there, leaning over the present which is about to join it, pressing against the portals of consciousness that would fain leave it outside.
Henri Bergson

It seems that laughter needs an echo.
Henri Bergson

And I also see how this body influences external images: it gives back movement to them.
Henri Bergson

The major task of the twentieth century will be to explore the unconscious, to investigate the subsoil of the mind.
Henri Bergson

Intelligence is the faculty of making artificial objects, especially tools to make tools.
Henri Bergson

An absolute can only be given in an intuition, while all the rest has to do with analysis.
Henri Bergson

Homo sapiens, the only creature endowed with reason, is also the only creature to pin its existence on things unreasonable.
Henri Bergson

When we make the cerebral state the beginning of an action, and in no sense the condition of a perception, we place the perceived images of things outside the image of our body, and thus replace perception within the things themselves.
Henri Bergson

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.
Henri Bergson

Spirit borrows from matter the perceptions on which it feeds and restores them to matter in the form of movements which it has stamped with its own freedom.
Henri Bergson

In reality, the past is preserved by itself automatically.
Henri Bergson

You will obtain a vision of matter that is perhaps fatiguing for your imagination, but pure and stripped of what the requirements of life make you add to it in external perception.
Henri Bergson

I see plainly how external images influence the image that I call my body: they transmit movement to it.
Henri Bergson

The motive power of democracy is love.
Henri Bergson

Genius is that which forces the inertia of humanity to learn.
Henri Bergson

The present contains nothing more than the past, and what is found in the effect was already in the cause.
Henri Bergson

We regard intelligence as man's main characteristic and we know that there is no superiority which intelligence cannot confer on us, no inferiority for which it cannot compensate.
Henri Bergson

There is nothing in philosophy which could not be said in everyday language.
Henri Bergson

A situation is always comic if it participates simultaneously in two series of events which are absolutely independent of each other, and if it can be interpreted in two quite different meanings.
Henri Bergson

I cannot escape the objection that there is no state of mind, however simple, that does not change every moment.
Henri Bergson

Instinct perfected is a faculty of using and even constructing organized instruments; intelligence perfected is the faculty of making and using unorganized instruments.
Henri Bergson

In laughter we always find an unavowed intention to humiliate and consequently to correct our neighbour.
Henri Bergson

In just the same way the thousands of successive positions of a runner are contracted into one sole symbolic attitude, which our eye perceives, which art reproduces, and which becomes for everyone the image of a man who runs.
Henri Bergson

Religion is to mysticism what popularization is to science.
Henri Bergson

Life does not proceed by the association and addition of elements, but by dissociation and division.
Henri Bergson

The only cure for vanity is laughter, and the only fault that is laughable is vanity.
Henri Bergson

For life is tendency, and the essence of a tendency is to develop in the form of a sheaf, creating, by its very growth, divergent directions among which its impetus is divided.
Henri Bergson

Logan Pearsall Smith Quotes
American - Writer October 18, 1865 - March 2, 1946

If you are losing your leisure, look out; you may be losing your soul.
Logan Pearsall Smith

If you want to be thought a liar, always tell the truth.
Logan Pearsall Smith

There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith

We need two kinds of acquaintances, one to complain to, while to the others we boast.
Logan Pearsall Smith

What is more mortifying than to feel that you have missed the plum for want of courage to shake the tree?
Logan Pearsall Smith

Happiness is a wine of the rarest vintage, and seems insipid to a vulgar taste.
Logan Pearsall Smith

The mere process of growing old together will make our slightest acquaintances seem like bosom friends.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Hearts that are delicate and kind and tongues that are neither - these make the finest company in the world.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Charming people live up to the very edge of their charm, and behave as outrageously as the world lets them.
Logan Pearsall Smith

The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the blood.
Logan Pearsall Smith

The vitality of a new movement in Art must be gauged by the fury it arouses.
Logan Pearsall Smith

There are people who, like houses, are beautiful in dilapidation.
Logan Pearsall Smith

I can't forgive my friends for dying; I don't find these vanishing acts of theirs at all amusing.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Those who set out to serve both God and Mammon soon discover that there isn't a God.
Logan Pearsall Smith

How it infuriates a bigot, when he is forced to drag out his dark convictions!
Logan Pearsall Smith

It is through the cracks in our brains that ecstasy creeps in.
Logan Pearsall Smith

We grow with years more fragile in body, but morally stouter, and can throw off the chill of a bad conscience almost at once.
Logan Pearsall Smith

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.
Logan Pearsall Smith

It is the wretchedness of being rich that you have to live with rich people.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Solvency is entirely a matter of temperament and not of income.
Logan Pearsall Smith

All my life, as down an abyss without a bottom. I have been pouring van loads of information into that vacancy of oblivion I call my mind.
Logan Pearsall Smith

There is more felicity on the far side of baldness than young men can possibly imagine.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Our names are labels, plainly printed on the bottled essence of our past behavior.
Logan Pearsall Smith

A slight touch of friendly malice and amusement towards those we love keeps our affections for them from turning flat.
Logan Pearsall Smith

There is one thing that matters, to set a chime of words tinkling in the minds of a few fastidious people.
Logan Pearsall Smith

To suppose as we all suppose, that we could be rich and not behave as the rich behave, is like supposing that we could drink all day and stay sober.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Those who set out to serve both God and Mammon soon discover that there is no God.
Logan Pearsall Smith

How can they say my life is not a success? Have I not for more than sixty years got enough to eat and escaped being eaten?
Logan Pearsall Smith

Don't laugh at a youth for his affectations; he is only trying on one face after another to find a face of his own.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Only a generation of readers will span a generation of writers.
Logan Pearsall Smith

The newest books are those that never grow old.
Logan Pearsall Smith

It takes a great man to give sound advice tactfully, but a greater to accept it graciously.
Logan Pearsall Smith

The test of a vocation is the love of the drudgery it involves.
Logan Pearsall Smith

People before the public live an imagined life in the thought of others, and flourish or feel faint as their self outside themselves grows bright or dwindles in that mirror.
Logan Pearsall Smith

There are few sorrows, however poignant, in which a good income is of no avail.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Every author, however modest, keeps a most outrageous vanity chained like a madman in the padded cell of his breast.
Logan Pearsall Smith

What I like in a good author is not what he says but what he whispers.
Logan Pearsall Smith

What's more enchanting than the voices of young people, when you can't hear what they say?
Logan Pearsall Smith

The old know what they want; the young are sad and bewildered.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Thank Heaven, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and enjoy it.
Logan Pearsall Smith

When they come downstairs from their Ivory Towers, idealists are very apt to walk straight into the gutter.
Logan Pearsall Smith

A best-seller is the gilded tomb of a mediocre talent.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Most people sell their souls, and live with a good conscience on the proceeds.
Logan Pearsall Smith

What joy can the years bring half so sweet as the unhappiness they've taken away?
Logan Pearsall Smith

Don't let young people tell you their aspirations; when they drop them they will drop you.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Many of our daydreams would darken into nightmares, were there a danger of their coming true!
Logan Pearsall Smith

He who goes against the fashion is himself its slave.
Logan Pearsall Smith

The notion of making money by popular work, and then retiring to do good work, is the most familiar of all the devil's traps for artists.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Only among people who think no evil can Evil monstrously flourish.
Logan Pearsall Smith

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions