SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgurvin

Deficiencies? Chlorosis? Salt? Sunburn? Overwatering? Underwatering?

kgurvin
6 years ago

Hi folks, any thoughts on what we're dealing with here? Photos attached. Eureka lemon and owari satsuma, in ground. Both planted in a warm location, southern exposure along a wall. Sunset zone 24, along the Socal coast. Plenty of full sun. Timely soil feeding with organic citrus feed and foliar feeding with organic micronutrients/kelp/seaweed. Regular watering, deep when dry, about once a week. The soil is relatively alkaline, likely blocking nutrient uptake, but not blindingly alkaline, about ph 6.5-7. Yet the leaves can't quite reach a rich green color. The Eureka is producing fruit—although not a lot of foliage—with about 1.5-2-inch trunk, so a couple years old. The satsuma, also about a 1.5-2-inch trunk, was really off to a slow start; did not do much for many months after planting. No growth, and only a few blooms. Oddly enough it's flowering now—no new foliage— with only about two fruit on the tree ready for harvest this winter. Now, it should be noted these trees when planted—unfortunately not under my guidance—were probably not amended properly, never mulched, likely not watered enough, or fed properly. Now... mulching, watering to the drip line, feeding, etc, and it's been several months since 'proper maintenance'. But still, looking a little sad; not hang me out to dry sad, but not as healthy as I would like to see.

We could be dealing with so many things here. There does seem to be some chlorosis and micronutrient deficiency, but hopefully with the regular foliar feeding that will be sorted soon—although not likely fully addressed as a result of the alkaline soil, at least until the mulching does its thing. But the somewhat yellow, pale, sad-face leaves. Just not sure: Nitrogen? Chlorosis? Salt? Sunburn? Overwatering? Underwatering?

Any ideas greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Comment (1)