SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevincwebb

Questions about chlorosis / leaf yellowing and dropping in Meyers

kevincwebb
9 years ago

Hi folks,

I have two Meyer Lemon trees that I purchased from Four Winds in April. As is typically recommended in this forum (I've been lurking for a while), I have them in gritty mix and regularly fertilize with Foliage Pro.

They're in my office, which has a large south-facing window. I also have them under a pair of 36" T5 bulbs for supplemental light.

At first, they suffered from some initial transplant shock and lost a few leaves. After a month or so, they started to thrive. From about May to mid-August, they seemed to be doing well, with lots of new growth, although there was a bit of leaf yellowing. Lately, the leaves have been turning yellow faster and starting to drop. It's mostly the internal leaves that seem to be the most affected. The most recent growth still looks mostly good, but even that is starting to yellow in a few places.

I'm including pictures with the hopes that someone can identify this particular pattern. I've looked at pictures of common nutrient deficiencies, but haven't found anything that looks exactly like this.

It's in gritty mix and the leaves are not curling, so I don't think it's being overwatered. Leaves start to droop/wilt after about 3.5-4 days without watering, so I try to water every ~2-3 days. About a month ago, I started measuring the ph of my water (it was about 8-8.5) so I've been adding a bit of vinegar to get it closer to 5.5/6. That doesn't seemed to have helped, although I don't think it has made anything worse either.

If anyone can advise, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

This picture is what the leaves look like shortly before they fall off. This has happened to ~10-15 leaves per tree over the last ~month, leaving the trees looking bare in the middle:

Comments (12)