SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ssjjss666

Propagating blackberry tip cuttings—trials and errors

Over the last couple months, I've successfully gotten one tip cutting to root in coir; it took about a month, and just a few days after I transferred the leaves & roots & coir to soil, a new leaf popped up. A few days after that, I noticed it's not just a leaf, but apparently a new cane. Huzzah.

There's another cutting that has three fully fleshed out green leaves; after more than three weeks in coir, it still looks very much alive, which I hope means that cutting is working on sending out roots where I can see them.

There are some other cuttings that haven't done so well. As I've read elsewhere, the less mature leaves tend to rot before rooting takes place, and in one case, my whole tip cutting, containing both mature and immature leaves, rotted together.

My plan for propagating future cuttings: Not using the whole cutting, since the tip will often contain baby leaves. Place only the mature, preciousss leaves + adjoining stem in coir, and throw away the rest of the tip to prevent narsty, narsty rot.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County