SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pip313

Garage conversation questions.

pip313
6 years ago

I just moved back up north (Detroit) from Phoenix Arizona and need to restart my plant collection for the 4th time.

I have a 20ft by 20ft garage I want to convert to a greenhouse with all triple layer 8mm polycarbonate. I want to do it in 2 phases if I can so I can afford to at least do the south wall before winter. It would be the whole 20ft wall by 6ft. The second is to do the south half of the roof and the south half of the east and west sides.

Or maybe just the east side because the west is shaded in summer but not too bad in winter with the leaf drop on the trees on that side. I’m not sure if it’s worth it to do it. Cost wise it would be relatively cheap compared to the rest of the project.

Is it worth it to dothe full east side or just the south half?

Can I get enough light with just the south side to overwinter citrus? I’m not worried about heat, I can supplement with natural gas or a heat pump A/C.

The pitch of the roof gives me one flat side facing north and the other south. Can I have the whole north half of the greenhouse insulated? I was thinking closed cell spray foaming the north roof, north wall, and the north sides of the east and west walls.

Sorry for all all the questions but this will be a compete permanent conversion and I want it done right the first time. The cost of shipping and boxing the panels far exceeds the cost of the panels if I mess up and need a few more. But I don’t want to do the whole thing in polycarbonate unless someone can convince me that poly on the north half would be better than closed cell insulation in Michigan with the winters how they are.

Comments (5)