SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
choicf

How to choose the right architect?

Carol S
6 years ago

Hi,

I'm in the process of meeting different architects and am not sure which qualities I should look for. We need help with artistic direction and understanding material choices and colors. This is our first time renovating a house and are learning the whole process from scratch.

We already have a local builder and contractor. (We initially weren't going to use an architect, but have since changed our minds.) We like them a lot but could use some more aesthetically focused help.

One architect seemed perfectly in tune with my aesthetic vision, yet I didn't necessarily sense a practically oriented nature. The other is very task-oriented, pragmatic, yet I'm not so sure they understood or accepted my aesthetic vision.

My dilemma: I already have a project manager in our contractor. My reason for seeking an architect is for artistic direction. I personally would appreciate working with pragmatic, task-oriented people. Do I go for the more artistically inclined, or the one who is more clear in laying out how they work and in communicating their process to me?

If you could share your experiences of what you appreciated most in your architects, I would be most grateful!

Comments (6)