SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nushelu

Ever tried lacto-fermented chile sauce on baked potatoes?

Mokinu
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

It's great stuff.

Here's the recipe I used:

• ~1 gallon of blended up raw peppers (mostly Jalapenos); I added a little filtered water to help blend them (but you might want to use some of the vinegar below instead)
  • 3 cups of distilled white vinegar
  • 4 to 6 tablespoons of pickling salt (6 might be too much for it to ferment properly, but I don't remember how much I used)
  • Some cardemom (I didn't measure)

Stir everything together and boil it for 20 to 40 minutes. Let it cool until it's warm enough for probiotics to live (I just waited until it was cool enough not to hurt when I held the pot). Add a probiotic starter (since it's been boiled). I added about 3 billion organisms per quart, and there were three quarts at this point (the probiotics were in the form of chewable probiotic wafers containing L. acidophilus and B. lactis).

Put in jars and ferment. I put a tight lid on it with a silicone seal, without an airlock, and just watched (felt the lid for pressure) it to see if it needed burping. It didn't need it very often, if at all, actually, but eventually, the sauce fermented (the sauce in the cooler location took a lot longer than the one in a warmer location). If you open the lid to taste it, be sure to stir it before you put the lid back on.

The warmer jar tasted fermented after about seven days, but it tasted a lot better the day after first tasted it (after I opened the jar; opening the jar at some point and/or stirring it seems to encourage faster fermentation).

Comment

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH