SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddybeagle

Altering roof on a small addition: insane, or doable?

maddybeagle
6 years ago

As part of an interior gut-remodel of a small addition on the back of my 1922 bungalow, I'm wondering about the feasibility of completely changing the style and slope of roof on the addition. This addition, which I bet started life as a porch, has been tacked on with no regard for the bungalow's rooflines and it drives me absolutely insane. And besides the aesthetic problem of the mismatched rooflines, the current roof offers no shade at all for this south-facing room.

What I'd like to do, if it were possible at reasonable cost, would be to change this roof to a shed or hipped roof with deep overhang, to get both shade from the sun and some shelter from wetter weather on the back of the house. I'd have the new roof angles at least play nicely with the original roof.

Am I out of my mind to contemplate a completely new roof structure? Is that a tens-of-thousands-more type add-on to an interior remodeling project? If I am out of my mind (and budget), I'd think about adding awnings and just try to ignore the horrible clash of roof slopes, though it really makes me grind my teeth every time I sit out on my patio and look at the back of the house.

I'd originally been thinking that I hate this addition so much that I'd just tear it off and start from scratch with a new addition, but since it's basically sound, it seems silly to commit to excavation and a whole new foundation if I could achieve what I want without doing that. I'm assuming that changing the roof, even if expensive, would be cheaper than a new room on a new foundation.

Thoughts? Thanks!

(Cross-posted from the Old House forum for additional perspectives)

Comments (8)