SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ficusgw

Mixed feelings

Paul MI
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

*sigh*

So this past spring I potted up my Amorphophallus corms a few weeks earlier than usual in hopes of giving them a little longer growing season. Put their 18" pot outside on the warmer spring days and did actually forget to bring the pot in on a couple chilly nights. Considering they are supposedly hardy to z7, shouldn't have been an issue. Knowing they can be a tad slow to wake up, I wasn't worried (though a bit disappointed) when none of them had popped up after the first week of June. As I usually do, I oversowed with alyssum since I love the scent and it helps to fill out the pot. Well by July, there was still nary a hint of the Amorphs. Quite bummed and baffled, I assumed the corms had rotted out for some reason. Well, acouple weeks ago the dumb things finally popped above the ground. There is no way, if I leave their pot outside, that they will get much chance of growing and replenishing their food stores in the time we have left. Killing frosts generally start in October. While I am happy not to have lost them (the mother corm I have had for 5years or more now) I am not looking forward to bringing that pot inside as space in my apt is lacking. Allowing frosts to kill off the young growths this "early" might kill the younger corms and set the mother corm back a couple years -- assuming it survives.

*sigh*

Comments (3)