SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

What questions should I ask my father's financial advisor?

Sueb20
6 years ago

My dad is 82, in great shape, and lives 2+ hours from me. He is single, having outlived 2 wives. Even though he thinks he's ageless and amazing, I finally had to have a reality check with him and asked that we get together specifically to talk about what happens if he becomes incapacitated or dies. I knew he had POA situated and a living will. I have copies of the paperwork. But I suggested he add my name to his bank account in case something happens and I need to help with bill paying or whatever. I also don't even have a key to his house! So we are getting a key copied for me, and going to the bank. Then meeting with his financial guy. Even though it was my idea, now I'm thinking...okay, what is it that I need to know?

Oh, he's also filling out the form for his primary dr. so the dr. can share info with me.

DH and I are spending the day with him in a few weeks. What are the questions I need to ask?

I am an only child so it's all on me. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any obvious steps! I'm also hoping to convince him to move to a nice one-level condo...but, one step at a time.

Comments (28)