SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlynn1187

Living room wall color vs sofa color...

jlynn1187
6 years ago

I’ve always loved gray walls in a house. That being said, about 3 years ago I ended up moving into a house with tan walls throughout. Being that it’s open concept, painting one room means painting the entire house - and we didn’t really have it in our budget at the time to do that. So, we made the tan work for us. We mixed gray with our sofa and other things. We have lots of shades of blue throughout the house as well. We have been having issues with our sofa cushions ripping at the seams since we purchased them (when we moved), and we were just informed the manufacturer has credited us the entire amount we paid to be used toward a new sofa. So, now I’m trying to decide if I should stick with a similar color gray to what we have now (very light, almost silver) or go a bit darker gray. Or something different altogether. Questions... do you think the gray and tan work well together? If we were ever to decide to paint our walls a light gray, would light gray couches still work in the room? Should be go darker to be on the safe side if/when we do paint? Also... paint color/sofa color suggestions?!?! Thanks so much! We are heading to the furniture store early this week to look at swatches.

ps... keep in mind we do have a white/gray arm chair (pictures) which will be staying.

Comments (67)

• amykath
    6 years ago

From the photo and my monitor I like the third sample from the right. The farthest left and farthest right would be a tie for second.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree with aktillery. reasoning? they(at least on my monitor. and yes it does matter..small sample, you photograph them, they go first through filter on your lense then you save them then you upload them through here then i see them on my screen..yes, one can make mistakes I assure you:)..ok back to the point lol..they seem to be warmer, thus a) work better with your existing colors -both walls and accent pillows b) theoretically-with warmer grays if you decide to paint

• Related Discussions

Sectional vs Two Couches in Small Living Room

Q

Comments (6)
    A sofa and two lounge chairs is always the most flexible, however a sectional small in scale might work. I might consider placing the TV in the RH corner instead of giving it a whole wall, but it's hard to tell without seeing that wall. You might want to consider adding think shelves to either side of the FP wall.
    ...See More

Help deciding between sectional vs 2 sofas in awkward living room

Q

Comments (2)
    Personally, I'd get two sofas. This will allow for an end table and lamp to be placed in the corner. Also, people usually like arms to lean on when they sit. However, if you like the extra seating the sectional offers, I would decorate the curved void with a large floor vase or floor lamp.
    ...See More

looking for a wall color for family room with Carmel color sofas

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi.I'm Neha. Choosing the perfect wall color depends on the type of flooring you have. If you could share the exact color of the sofa and the type of flooring, I can create a 3D mockup to help you visualize better.
    ...See More

what color for sofa slip cover and living room rug?

Q

Comments (9)
    I‘d start with the slipcover, as they are not easy to find regarding decent fabric quality, size and shape. Suggest blue, white or green and add cushions that complement drapes. I‘d skip a brown rug and wait until you decide on color scheme. Consider your taste/comfort with mixing patterns; see above. Use a textured rug to make it easier to coordinate around and if your preference is a solid.
    ...See More
  • lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

I like the far left one and the third from left. The one third from right appears to have a green cast. The one on the far right appears to be a tweed or heather look-is it? How they appear on the monitor can be so different than in real life. Are all the fabrics ones that will wear well with kids? do you like the feel of one better than another?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, all! The first, second and third from the left are probably my favorite. We were sort of trying to match to our existing sofa since we really like the way it looks in the room. The first and third are more lush, almost velvet, fabrics - which makes them look very nice but also gives the effect of being lighter or darker based on how the light hits it. The second look sort of purple in the picture but doesn’t in real life. That one was probably my favorite. The materials all have the same wash code so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Regarding the pictures on the walls, they look a lot smaller in the picture than they do in real life. It’s a huge wall and they’re actually quite big. I had a hard time finding something I liked that was large enough for the space. The frames are black - not sure how they seem in the picture. Any ideas for types of art/prints that would work well? I don’t want anything too distracting.

Thanks so much!!

• User
    6 years ago

Your post says white or blue frames and that's how they appear....

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Delilah sorry I thought you meant the frames on the left and right of the tv! So you don’t think the light blue frames work? I just feel like we have so much dark wall decor, I was trying to lighten it up a bit.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also what would you recommend for taller objects on top of the bookshelf? A plant of some kind maybe?

• User
    6 years ago

OK I had to go to your other thread on decorating the mantle to see the black framed art. Those look larger than the ones over the bookcase. Can you try them over the bookcase (or put up outlines of them with painter's tape)? Orientation (of either the mantle pics or the ones shown over the bookcase) may depend on what you can find to put on top of the bookcase, as well as the location of the (dang) wall switches. I would try a lamp in place of the lantern. Something taller than the lantern, but not a skinny lamp; something with a bit of heft. After finding the right lamp, then I would work on arranging the pictures so they start lower than the lamp (closer to the bookcase) and extend up beyond the top of the lamp. You may need more than one picture in height and/or width. For on top of the bookcase, maybe use the lantern on the other side with a couple other items (candle? vase?). I also found it helps to arrange, then take photos and use the photos to see better what needs to change.

• deeinohio
    6 years ago

I don't really have anything to add to the great suggestions already given, but I'd like to ask you to give the name of the manufacturer who stood behind their product. Posters are always looking for reliable ones.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Delilah! I wasn’t planning on moving the pictures that are along the Tv wall just yet, at least not until I can find something I love to replace them. We have a big party for my sons birthday coming up at the end of the month, so I’m trying to get as much done before then as I can! Do you have suggestions for things to go on he tv wall? And for the bookcase wall, would you recommend art instead of family photos?

found this lamp on target (love target!)...what do you think? I should mention we do have two other table lamps in the room, one next to the chair and one next to the far end of the sofa. Including pics of those as well...

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@dee the manufacturer is Jonathan Louis

• lascatx
    6 years ago

I don't know if you have decided on a fabric, but I'm going to put my vote it -- farthest right and third from the left are the ones that appeal most to me. I like the deeper tones.

Doesn't look like you looked at any blues other than pillows. I have a deep medium blue sectional in my family room and a midnight blue velvet in my living room. My only hesitation was doing blue in both rooms, but love them both.

• User
    6 years ago

Yeah, I wouldn't move the pictures from the TV wall given your impending celebration either. Afterward, though, I would lower those pictures, too. It looks like they are vertically centered with the TV. Instead, I think they would look better connecting to the shelves. The TV doesn't need to be accessorized. For that reason, the mantle decorations are not needed. Instead, I would accessorize the tops of the shelves to connect the wall decor to the shelves.

I do like the lamp, but wonder whether the shade is too rustic for the rest of your room. Personal preference? Also, you might submit a question about whether the mercury glass is silver or gold. It looks gold to me, but that could just be reflection. Check the dimensions to make sure the bookcase is deep enough for the lamp.

By the way, here is a photo that shows what I meant about using the lamp to connect the wall decor with the bookcase. HTH

ETA: Love those 3 pillows together!!!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@lascatx thanks! I like those too, and they almost have sort of a purple cast. The third from left Is actually a velvet fabric so I’m a little hesitant about that one. Thoughts on the second from left? It looks lighter in the pic than in person. And we did consider a blue sofa, but our hesitation is that we plan on painting our walls down the road and were considering either a gray or a light blue. Plus there wasn’t really a shade by this manufacturer that I fell in love with (we have to use this manufacturer since they’ve credited us for the sofa).

@delilah thanks for the feedback! I’ve alwats struggled with what to put on top of those bookcases lol. They’re pretty tall, plus the bookshelves are already decorated, so I’m not sure what would work well. Any suggestions? And interesting idea about moving the pictures down, guess I assumed it would look best to center with the tv and never second guessed it. And re: the other bookcase, do you think that lamp in your picture would work well (white base)? Or maybe in a light blue? I think I’ve seen similar styles at target and home goods. Guess I should do an off white lamp shade to match the others in the room? The bookshelf is espresso- would you recommend I get frames in brown/espresso or black? And orient them vertically or horizontally? Not sure if you saw my question about whether I should have family photos or art? Thanks so much!

• User
    6 years ago

I love mercury glass decor items. Are the mantle candlesticks mercury glass? If so, the mercury glass lamp you pictured would be a nice complement to the candlesticks assuming you could use them on top of the bookcases flanking the FP (or on the dark bookcase).

WRT to vertical or horizontal alignment, again, I would use paper templates and play around with them addressing height, separation, and # of rows/columns (looks like you have more stacked in the top right cubicle).

Family photos or art is really a personal preference. I don't object to seeing family photos in common areas.

• lascatx
    6 years ago

Availability of color sofas is a problem. Both of mine were custom -- the LR from a fabric they had available and the sectional in the FR was a leather that was hunted down by a salesperson who really earned the sale.

Velvet could be a problem. My midnight blue is a velvet and I was a bit unsure about it. My boys are old enough (college age) to not be a special consideration, but I have 2 dogs, one of whom used to sleep not only on the seat of the prior sofa but also up on top of the back cushion. She loves soft things - pillows, piles of pillows, my bed, etc. and took lessons from the cat we used to have. We also have a pool and she loves the water. Even when we towel dry her, she isn't dry. We have discouraged her laying on that sofa and we chose an upholstered rather than cushion back, but she still sleeps up there sometimes. Including wet. The velvet still looks brand new. So I understand your caution, especially with a lighter color, but look into the fibers, care and wear info on the particular fabric.

I do like the second from the left. I would not be too fond of the others if they look purple -- but sometimes changing your light bulbs can make a bog difference. Are the Edward Slate and Taylor Felt still in that mix? I liked both of those -- would probably be more inclined to go the Taylor Felt myself, and then paint the walls a lighter greige -- like BM Wish (I have that in my BR) . I have SW Agreeable Gray mixed at 150% in my FR and it looks good with that one too -- the stock mix at 100% might work too. My sister's former home is being painted Accessible Beige for resale and I could see that with the Edward Slate. The Accessible Beige is working well with the gray and white in her granite, grey and white marble and grey wood-look tile in her master bath and the dark wood floor, espresso and white cabinets -- it's a very pleasing palette.

Blue is tough for paint. I have been there. It pulls lavender or purple, it pulls green, it looks baby blue or robin egg blue when you are trying to avoid it. Same kins of thing you are seeing in the grays. I wouldn't think about blue paint maybe - have a pretty clear idea of the color and check it in your room. You can have plenty of blue in a room without having it on the sofa or the walls (and blue is my favorite color). I like the fabrics you have together -- nothing wrong with your current color scheme (most like the 2nd from the left and the Edward Slate) if you are ready to paint the walls.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@delilah yes the candlesticks are mercury glass. It turns out that lamp I posted earlier is sold out but I found a similar one at home goods (have them holding it for me to pick up today). The shade is white on the home goods one. I figured that would work best since the shades on the other two lamps in the room are white (it’s ok to have 3 lamps in the room, right? Lol). I’ll post pics later once I have it in the room. Currently I have the lantern sitting on top of two stacked books; do you think the lamp would work sitting on top of them as well or just on the bookshelf itself? What about the other items I have there (the little willow tree status, candle and silver wedding picture frame)? Should I move/replace any of those? Since I’ll be in home goods today I could look around...

heres pictures of the wall art in horizontal and vertical arrangements. Any preference? (I returned the white frames today. I already own the blue frames- do these work or should I go with a darker frame? And should I move them lower? I was centering them on the wall but maybe that’s not necessary...?)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@lascatx I pretty much ruled out the Edward slate because it had too much black in it for the room, but the Taylor felt is still in the mix. It is the one on the far right in the picture with all the swatches. It has a lot more texture to it than any of the others- sort of a grainy weave as opposed to more solid. It looks significantly darker than the others in person. Of all the fabric swatches, the second from left appears to be most like the color of our current sofa, while the far left is most similar to our current sofa’s texture (it has almost a velvet look and feel in its plushness- and looks significantly lighter when it reflects the light). I do like the plush look of our current sofa but it has proven difficult to keep clean as it shows every little spot. While I like the color of the second swatch, it doesn’t have that rich, plush look and feel. I wonder if it might fall flat when applied to the entire sofa? It’s mt husband’s favorite.

The two you pointed out have a slight purple tint but by no means look like they’re actually purple; just moreso than the others which lean more green or blue.

Thanks for the input on the paint. I will look at the BM wish. I’ve heard a lot of good things about agreeable gray. Maybe I’ll stay away from blue. Do you think revere pewter would be too dark?

• User
    6 years ago

Need to see the lamp in place first before commenting on placement of wall photos and lantern/books. Please make paper templates of wall photos to try out height and vertical/horizontal orientation, but, yes, the wall photos regardless of orientation will look better lower. I think the willow tree statue will be too small for that space.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I picked up a couple new frames (larger with dark frames) and lamps (a white and a mercury glass one) today, so I’ll try them out and post pics soon!

• lascatx
    6 years ago

I think Revere Pewter might be too close to your lighter color fabrics, but probably not with the darker (the Taylor Felt). But you'd still need to check the undertones to make sure they go together.

I couldn't use Revere Pewter in my home because of the undertones. I think they went purple for me, IIRC. Seemed like everything was too purple, too green, too yellow. Agreeable Gray was chalky, but no fighting undertones, so I took the sample back and asked them to add some more pigment in the same formula. I started by saying 25% more and she suggested 50% as 50% more of a light color is not that much and might be more accurate too. More recently met a paint store manager who said the colors on the swatches over there are just a starting point. My kind of paint store person. LOL

• amykath
    6 years ago

In a home I used to have I had a similar small bookcase like you have. This is what I did with mine.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, all! If/when we decide to paint, I’ll definitely have some large swatches made and see what works in our house. I know every house is different.

heres a pic of the bookshelf with one of the new lamps I picked up. I think the white one might be too light but thoughts on this one? Below that is a better pic of the rest of the room...

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ugh lamp pic got all squished, trying again

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@aktillery that room is very pretty! That’s a nice idea for the bookcase. Ours sits against a wall behind our sectional basically because we needed something to put on that wall and we needed somewhere to put that bookcase lol

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bumping

• User
    6 years ago

Love the lamp jlynn! Glad you have it elevated because it is a little short. The wall pictures need to be lowered so the bottom one is almost to the bottom of the lamp and the top of the photo higher than the top of the lamp (see my example upthread) and the top picture is only a couple inches above the bottom one. Can you do that using the horizontal pictures (or horizontal paper templates)?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Delilah! Do you still think I should try some frames that are larger and darker?

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

I think that lamp is cute, but I would like to see larger frames...

If you’re open to it, I would also suggest putting your art next to your tv in larger frames.

Congrats on the new baby!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, kitch! I will try some larger frames above the dark bookcase. Square or rectangle? Do you think it matters? The only complication is the stupid light switch so I can’t go too wide.

Also, I am open to getting larger frames for artwork above the tv wall cabinets. How much larger do you think I should go? Should the frames match the frames above the dark bookcase on the opposite side of the room? I guess I could just take the artwork from the current frames and get larger frames and mats. Unless anyone has different art ideas? I think someone suggested canvas prints. I’ve been looking but haven’t come across anything I like yet. Definitely open to suggestions!!!

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

I’ve read the rule of thumb is 2/3 to 3/4 the width of the furniture underneath. Just a guideline. For the pics above the lamp I’m guessing 16 x 20. Maybe you can cut out paper templates? Or, try one of your pieces from your tv wall just to see how it looks.

Also, how would you feel about taking your pics from next to tv and leaning against the wall on your bookcases? Then, put a vase with your stems on the outer sides. I know the finishing touches are the most difficult for me so, I always have to try all options. My hubby calls me the queen of returns :)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Here’s a pic with some larger frames. They measure about 17.5”x17.5” and seem to fit pretty well in the space. Are they too close together? There’s a little less than 2 inches in between. This art came in the frames but I think it looks sort of nice- is that lame? Haha... What do you think of the square vs rectangle? I also stacked a third book to elevate the lamp a little more- too much? Thanks again!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@kitch thanks!! I agree it looks much better! I just noticed they’re a little too far left- is that noticeable? Just a few more questions:

1) is there a rule about how many inches to have between frames? There’s a little less than two inches between them now.

2) is there a rule about how many books to stack under lamps? Is three too many?

3) Thoughts on these pictures vs using family photos?

thanks!! :)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’ll try it with the topiary and post a pic later!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I also measured the frames that flank the tv and they measure about 21”x21”. Think a 24”x24” piece would work better or should I go even larger? Suggestions?

• amykath
    6 years ago

Very nice sized frames! Well done. I also love the lamp! As for me, one can never have too many!

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

The spacing looks good to me, I have 1 3/4" between mine...

that's just my preference. If anything, I would lower yours a tad. But, maybe it looks perfect in person. The lamp on three books doesn't bother me because your bookcase is tucked out of the way. I wouldn't do that for example on a nightstand. How does it feel to you?

As to your other art, I would prefer larger. I would start with a paper template of 30 x 30. I have to try everything out before committing :)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much! I am on the hunt for some larger frames to go over the white bookcases. Any suggestions for great places to buy frames / art that won’t break the bank? (Kitch I love your pictures!)

I’m also still trying to figure out if/how I should decorate the tops of the bookcases.

Still undecided on the books under the lamp! :)

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

Are you familiar with Aaron brothers? That’s where I purchased my frames. I waited until they had a buy one get second one for a penny sale. They also have coupons for 50% off one item.

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m not but thanks for the suggestion!

Also, i wanted to try out one more look for that space. Yay or nay? Do you prefer the look with the lamp and books, maybe with just one smaller plant worked in?

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Or the lamp with a potted plant added in the mix

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

I think your last pic looks nice!

If the small lamp still doesn't feel right to you, try one of your taller lamps. Then you'll have an idea whether you would prefer something taller.

It's got to feel right to you :)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, kitch! You’ve been a big help! I think I like that look best as well. I have just been admiring that big light blue pottery barn vase for a long time now and was excited to try it out. Maybe down the road I could try it on the floor in front of the mantle (at this point my toddler would have a field day with it!). Debating if I should keep it or return it and possibly rebuy later. Got it for about $100 during the friends and family sale. Hmm...

What do you think about these looks for my mantle refresh? I appreciate your input! :)

Option 1: current look + new throw basket (I’ll probablt put a burnt orange throw in the basket)

Option 2: new vase with eucalyptus leaves + new plants on each side

Option 3: swapped out the leaves for berry stems

Option 4: removes small plants from left

Option 5: Swapped out small plant for a slightly different plant

Option 6: swapped out plant for one in a tin vase

Option 7: swapped out the small plant for a small white vase

Option 8: basically same setup i have now, with the addition of the vase!

I really wanted to try to incorporate the mercury glass candles since I have mercury glass in other areas of the house. Any of these groupings can use the eucalyptus leaves instead of the berry stems; I just didn’t feel like taking two photos of each look! :)

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@kitch nevermind! Looks like you found my other thread :)

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

Too funny, I kept thinking I was on the wrong thread!

• User
    6 years ago

Really like the pitcher with the stems. It's a gorgeous color!

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Louise, I think it’s pretty too (perfect color) but it was definitely a splurge. With the flowers it was around $300. Trying to decide if I *need* to own that vase. I may keep the little lamp on that table and keep the vase for down the road to stick in front of the fireplace (and may try to find cheaper flowers elsewhere- those alone were $200). Ouch.

• amykath
    6 years ago

I like either 4 or 5

• jlynn1187
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@aktillery thanks! My only worry with those was it not looking balanced since there’s just the mercury glass on the left and all of the plants are on the right. Think it matters?

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County