SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abelia2zamia

Two Zone 8B Hardy Bromeliads

In addition to dyckia, hechtia, and puya I have been trialing some more

"traditional" bromeliads. Aechmea is the most promising genus so far.

Aechmea disticantha is the hardiest and showiest. It's been in the garden for over a decade with no freeze damage. Likes bright light/partial shade. Very drought resistant. Foliage can reach three feet in height and is vicious with nasty teeth. Working with this plant almost always requires a blood donation. Blooms in spring and the red bracts retain their color for at least three months.

Aechmea gamosepala. Sorry for the blurry photo. So far I have only grown this in shade under live oaks. Gets about one foot tall and has bloomed in winter. I have been growing this one for five years and last years 18F freezes did not bother it. Bloom color lasts about 3-4 weeks. I also planted a variegated form last year, but it took a significant hit in the freeze and is trying to recover.

Aechmea calyculata. This began blooming in this last week of September. Photo taken yesterday. It is also growing in shade under live oaks and about one foot tall. This is its third year. It had one bloom last year and my memory is that it also lasted about 3 weeks. Both gamosepala and calyculata are essentially unarmed and friendly.

Comments (25)