SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Moving to North Carolina, zone 8b

tracydr
9 years ago

Hi all! I'm moving to NC this summer. Hoping to get a nice acreage, maybe 40 acres. We have a few horses and would like to run a couple of longhorns as well. I will also have all sorts of poultry from chickens to peacocks, guineas and turkeys.
I'm contemplating retiring for health reasons from my medical practice. I've thought about having a fruit orchard ( probably you-pick and maybe preserves, fresh veggie stand, depending on state regulations for this sort of thing. I hope to have a greenhouse and maybe do a few tropical fruits,too.
I've been reading about the various fruits that do well. Here's what I'd like to grow:
Cold hardy citrus
Figs
Blueberries
Strawberries
Peaches
Apples
Quince
Cherries?? Sour would be good
Blackberries and raspberries
Grapes
Kiwi
Paw paws
Persimmons
Pears

I would also like to do a mango, Meyer lemon and guavas. Maybe a banana? I assume these need the greenhouse?
I've had a number of these fruits before but many ( like blueberries) will be new to me.
Organic growing, only.
Any hints as to fruits that will or won't work? Anything I missed that will do well? I will probably do melons in the garden. What varieties are recommended for that area? Specifically, Pembroke or nearby.
I also know nothing about a commercial orchard, on any scale. I've mostly done a large home vegetable garden , some peaches and apples when I was in OK and livestock of all sorts.

Comments (9)