SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

September

The beginning of autumn is a magical season here. The weather is generally mild, the light is golden, the annual grass has started to grow and the trees and shrubs have perked up. The foliage just starts to change here and there, while the warm climate roses put on new growth. We're still living with drought: the three inches or so that the first half of September brought us, while greatly appreciated and sufficient to launch the roses into action, was too little to moisten the drastically dry soil. We're back to hand watering the babies, using water from our neighbors' pond and that from the kitchen, as the ban on watering from the public supply has been (wisely) extended to the end of October.

The four o'clocks are in bloom now, yellow and white, the little golden suns of anthemis that has seeded itself around, calamintha, fragrant and with lavender blooms. I appreciate my sister's comment that variegated plants are like shrubs that flower twelve months a year, as I admire the yellow-variegated box, cream-splashed persicaria, striped Japanese iris. I admire the forms of the column of the pruned bay laurel and the freedom of the nandina growing beside it; the different textures of roses, daphne, pittisporum. Drought notwithstanding, not a few of the plants close to the house have grown well this year, once they got the boost of the September rain: they like the protection of the buildings and trees, and most have been in place for years.

I have my doubts that the roses will be able to pull off a decent fall bloom, as the forecast doesn't see significant rain in the next two weeks. But they're certainly trying. The climbers are pushing up and up: 'Jaune Desprez' and 'Crepuscule' are both massive; 'Noella Nabonnand' has tall new canes, and the of late years cranky 'Marechal Niel' has put strong new growth from its few battered base canes. I continue to be surprised at how much of a beating climbing canes can take and still continue to push out new growth. MN has found a wall to lean on on the second floor of the building in front of which it grows, and that's enough: it re-starts from there, encouraged by the support. I'm not going to clean up this chaos: I don't want to stimulate more growth, with the weather so dry, but will wait until next March to prune and retrain everything. We did build additional supports for 'Souv. de Mme. Leonie Viennot' and 'Crepuscule'. I would like to see MN head off into the cluster of three Trachycarpus fortunei palms alongside which it grows (and with whose roots I suspect it's locked in gigantic combat), meeting there the jasmine trained up the wall behind. I'm aiming at a sort of desert-jungle look. All this in a year of drought.

"Miss Mystery" is up to eight feet now and has set buds, proving that she is in fact repeat flowering. We have given her a piece of pergola all her own, as she continues to act like some kind of climbing shrub, or shrubby climber, and, if she gets up on the pergola, we'll fight the wisteria off it for her. Her new foliage dangles in front of our eyes, very clean, very elegant, as all Tea foliage is. 'Odorata' is up to five feet now, bigger than I expected, and the new canes and foliage are larger than the old as well, and beautiful. I like 'Odorata'. In short, all is well around the house. The big garden is a disaster. There we're digging holes and I'm planning on replanting with garrigue plants, as I believe I mentioned. Perhaps the ground will be fit for Tea roses one day, but I doubt in my lifetime. Where there's life, there's the possibility of beauty. Beauty of Teas, beauty of cypresses, beauty of phomis or olives or eleagnus, beauty of once-flowering old roses. By the way, I was cleaning up one corner of the big garden, and found that R. gallica 'Officinalis', a plant that had been in place several years, had died back to the ground at least. That surprised me. Instead nearby plants of 'Pink Leda' and 'Celsiana', both Damasks, looked relatively thriving. Perhaps we're turning into Syria.

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz