Spring into September Reading (for antipodeans)
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (36)
- 3 years ago
Related Discussions
Week 48: Spring, spring SPRING!
Comments (23)Terri, consider looking up no-till gardening/farming for the area over your tree roots. Even making a raised bed one or two boards high can give you the space you need to plant, and the plants' roots will take care of themselves. I prefer raised beds, actually, and will be building 3 more this year. I hate the messy edges of directly in-the-ground planting. Got those beds, but I think they look like crap. I think I showed you the raised bed I made last fall, where I used Hugokultur and lasagna gardening methods, didn't I? Hugokultur would be perfect for all the untreated scraps of wood, saw dust, and even brush from cut-down trees. That's why I decided to try it. Can't wait to dig into my new bed to see what turned to dirt over the winter. There's also a preservative called Ecowood ($about $17 on Amazon) that you can spray on any wood. It's nontoxic, environmentally friendly, blah blah. It does weather wood, which I like. It's purpose is that it changes the make-up of the wood so it doesn't rot. It's not a sealant, in that it'll still draw water, but the wood doesn't rot. I used this on my new bed and the giant potting bench I built. I figure what the heck. It got great reviews from long-time users and if it makes my outside stuff last a bit longer, great....See MoreSeptember What are you reading this Fall (or Spring Downunder!) ?
Comments (101)Hi all, I also recently "discovered" Hakan Nesser and have read the first 6 (or was it 7) titles in his Van Veeteran series. While I like Van Veeteran as a character, as someone said, chess, fine music and wine, with a fair smattering of philosophy, I found that the series got more disturbing as it went on. Darker, more crude. I have not requested any further titles from the library as the last one put me out of sorts. I need a break. Just finished reading This House is Haunted by John Boyne. The blurb claims it to be a "Dickensian ghost story". I think not. It was spooky and dark yet neither gory nor graphic. I think it more of a Victorian style, but Dickensian is much too much praise. It was a fun read, albeit slightly predictable, for the season of All Hallow's Eve. Speaking of ghosts, I also read the latest by Simone St. James, The Other Side of Midnight. The main character is a psychic and she was hired to solve the murder of another psychic. It was okay, not as good as her first two books; The Haunting of Maddy Clare and An Inquiry into Love and Death. I second and third the praise for both Geraldine Brooks and her spouse, Tony Horwitz. I read everything he wrote and most of what she wrote. (I like his stuff much more, if you are curious.) Now reading Six Questions of Socrates by Christopher Phillips. He is the head of the Society for Philosophical Inquiry. In this book, he poses the six questions of Socrates to different demographic groups, in different countries and shares the differences and similarities. I am only on page 23 and find it fascinating. The six questions are: What is virtue? What is piety? What is good? What is justice? What is moderation? What is courage? He simply goes to a public area and starts chatting. Soon there is a Socratic circle discussion going on and wow... nary a cell phone nor a google search in sight. The conversations sound just amazing and I am quite jealous I have not yet stumbled upon one. PAM...See MoreDecember Reading--Last Books Read in 2016
Comments (111)Carolyn, I read a couple some years ago. I must check and see if my library has reprints. I am reading my books slowly at present, there seems to be so many other things to do, like dropping off to sleep! My D gave me a small CD player for Xmas with handy top buttons. Just right for listening to recorded favourite books. I have been accumulating some in case of being confined to bed or having the eye operation for cataracts. I am doing a Scarlett O'Hara on that!...See MoreWhat are you reading in September 2020?
Comments (77)I just finished Troubled Blood, the newest installment of the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. It was a terrific story, and I liked this one better than all the previous ones. This book covers a full year in the lives of detective Strike and his partner Robin Ellacott while they tackle a 40 year-old cold case in addition to their usual caseload. Their relationship (which is why I got hooked on these books to begin with) experiences some satisfying growth and development, Robin truly begins to come into her own, and Strike's personal life takes a larger space in the story. I thought that Rowling toned down the triggery/horrifying/ick factor a good bit from the earlier books, though since there's a serial killer involved, there are a handful of truly nauseating descriptions of sexual assault and torture -- as I knew there would be, and so skipped over them when I could. This was a doorstop at 927 pages, but I couldn't put it down and didn't want it to end. I'm hoping there will be another one....See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSSeptember Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Get ready to get cozy at home with snuggly blankets, well-stocked firewood, added insulation and more
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your September Home Checklist
Prep your home for cooler weather with these tasks to do in an hour, over a weekend and during the month
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESRocky Mountain Gardener's September Checklist
Sharpen your spade and grab your gloves — warm days and cool nights in the garden mean it's planting time
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGFind Your Perfect Spring Cleaning Plan
Choose from six flexible approaches to refresh your home without the stress
Full Story
HOME INNOVATIONSConsidering Renting to Vacationers? Read This First
More people are redesigning their homes for the short-term-rental boom. Here are 3 examples — and what to consider before joining in
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGTo-Dos: Your September Home Checklist
Boost the comforts of home for fall with a few of these ideas for stocking up and staying cozy
Full Story
INSPIRING GARDENSA Spring Walk Through Piet Oudolf’s New Garden in the Bronx
This lush expanse of bulbs, perennials and grasses at The New York Botanical Garden is showing its color. Have a look
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESCentral Plains Gardener's September Checklist
This month, go easy on the deadheading, savor the beauty of sunflowers and look ahead to next year's garden
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your September Home Checklist
As life transitions back indoors, bring elements of nature in with you and make your spaces cozy and warm
Full Story
MIDCENTURY HOMESHouzz Tour: Pools and Martinis Inspire a Palm Springs Remodel
Weighed down by black-heavy ’80s style, a California desert home gets a fun and lighthearted look just right for its midcentury roots
Full Story
yoyobon_gw