SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louis_bordonaro

Lower sash closes, then opens back up

Louis Bordonaro
6 years ago

I'm repairing windows in the upstairs of my house, which was an apartment and we're converting back to a single. The house was built ~1880 and has mostly wood windows. I believe they have been repaired/reworked in the recent past by the previous owner.

One window had the sash rope and weights separated. So I removed the stops, removed the pocket covers, located the weights and re-connected to the sash ropes.
I checked for proper operation and the window stays open, moves easily and seems to be functioning OK. Problem is when I close the window all the way it slowly opens up approximately 2 inches.

I thought there was an issue with the rope, so I replaced it. Still have the problem. I don't think it's an issue with the length of the rope. Could it be the size I used? I think it's a bit smaller than what had been there. I haven't put the trim back up, but I don't think there's that much contact/friction to keep it in the closed position. Could it be the weights are too heavy? Or if windows were reworked maybe the glass was changed and isn't the correct weight?

I'm readying Terry Meany's "Working Windows" but haven't found an answer in it yet.
Thanks.

Comments (5)