SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melis918

Desperately need color help to unify downstairs!

Melissa Kroger
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Once again I find myself needing help with color. I just can't seem to get it right.! There are 2 sections of my downstairs I need assistance with: the living/dining room and the family room/kitchen. Although these two areas are separate, I feel like they need to be unified in some way.

first the family room. It is too gray and too blah. We all hate the wall color, as it's just a weird gray that sometimes looks. baby blue and other times looks greenish. Also it matches my backsplash tile too closely and I think there needs to be some contrast. The sofa/loveseat in fr must stay, as well as the coffee table and art. The rug is hideous and needs to change. I think I need a bold wall color- orange or turquoise? But maybe I'm off the mark,,. which would be par for the course with color.

Family room:

Looking into kitchen from fam room:

Hallway:

Before you start finding me the perfect wall color, here's the deal with the LR/DR. I recently bought a new sofa so the current, very old red chairs have to be replaced. I could recover them, but what color and shape/style? My second problem is that while I love my DR table, it is very high and the chairs are too low. Every time we sit there it feels like a booster seat is needed! I picked up a chair at the DWR outlet that is high enough, but it's gray and DH thinks it's ugly. Is it? Lastly, the teal DR wall can be seen from the kitchen, so the two areas must look ok together.

New sofa:

From the hallway:

DWR chair on end of dining table:

Dining room walls visible from kitchen:

Thanks for listening to my rambling post if you haven't run away by now. Any and all advise is as always, greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)