SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Sweet potato harvest - more

hairmetal4ever
6 years ago

Here’s a more complete thread on my sweet potato harvest.

I dug a Purple Passion plant too early a few weeks ago, and found nothing.

It seems the last couple weeks of warm weather was all they needed. Got a couple HUGE ones, but overall yield is small.

The Purple Passions had ZERO cracking, but the Vardaman and Nancy Hall both had a lot of cracks in them.

Purple Passion and Nancy Hall:

Only a few PP roots, but BIG.

Nancy Hall isn’t know for size, but there were a couple big ones, just severe cracking. The midsized ones had a few blemishes (plus, I shoved my fork in several of them as I was digging), and there were a lot of tiny ones, which can probably be used for mashed if nothing else, or for spring slips. The Nancy Halls could have gone longer, but due to the cracking I decided it was best to dig them all now, because I wasn’t sure if the cracking would continue to get worse over time or not. The Nancy Hall plants had the highest number of diggable, but small, roots from further along the vines where they rooted into the ground away from the “crown” of the plant.

Vardamann – this isn’t all of them, but these are the ones I rinsed off. Most are in decent condition, really. The only baker-sized ones have cracks/splits, though (not pictured here).

So my questions:

All three varieties had at least some sprouting from the roots, the Purple Passion were the worst. Why is this? They were still in active growth with no vine dieback, so I’m not sure what triggered the root sprouting. Will it affect quality? If I break off the sprouts now, but save a couple for starting slips next spring, will they “resprout” or not?

This was the worst one, most were just "nubs".

I don’t think I saw any scurf, unless that’s what those dark spots are (usually they appear where there is a split or a crack). What do you experienced sweet growers think?

Any tips on how to avoid continually shoving my fork through the roots? It was hard to judge where to dig. Even after cutting the vines off, I tried digging two feet from the crown, found nothing, went ten inches closer and I cut through a big, beautiful root!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!