SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Please diagnose my Lilac's issue, if you can. Thanks.

ilovemytrees
6 years ago

Good morning.

My Lilac has, in the last month, developed dark spots and the leaves are getting eaten up. Are those 2 signs related to one another?

If the dark spots are related to watering habits, then it's because I didn't water it enough. I should have watered it more since it was just planted this spring. I've been watering it like crazy the last 2 weeks, since we've had 2 weeks of 80+ degree temps and no rain. That weather pattern ends tomorrow...

My neighbor asked my dh this past weekend, when dh was outside, if any of our lilacs have been getting eaten up. He said all of the lilacs that I gave him have had something eat the leaves. Dh said our neighbor appeared to be pretty upset. I'm not surprised. He's gotten attached to his lilacs. It's adorable, and no, I am not being sarcastic. His wife has always done ALL the planting of flowers etc, but he planted the lilacs I gave him all by himself, and has cared for them. He's not happy that some unseen bug is eating the leaves.

It doesn't look like JB beetle damage to me. And all summer I only saw 2 JB's and they were mating when I killed them. I haven't seen any since, and that was in July.

Also, up until a month ago these leaves were huge, dark green and untouched.

Thanks in advance, as always.'

Comments (7)