SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35873677

Music that helps you...

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Do any of you listen to music because it does something? If you're down, or up, or need motivation, or need to cry or smile....

What music, if any, has an effect on you?

Comments (58)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Hammer time especially the video will with out fail have me chair dancing.

U can't touch this!

User thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • junco East Georgia zone 8a
    6 years ago

The soundtrack from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is my go to background music for housecleaning.

Thanks for mentioning Sea Pictures--I had not heard of it. I am listening now and loving it!

User thanked junco East Georgia zone 8a
  • Related Discussions

Help! I need jazz/saxaphone music suggestions

Q

Comments (5)
    Oh I love jazz Sax. Here are a couple of performers and any of their CDs would be good. I think Boney James is the best and I love his music..sexy. Anything he does is good and I have most of his CDs. Seduction is my favorite though. Another really good musician is Richard Elliot and any of his CDs would be good. There is always Kenny G and he's wonderful but pretty mainstream and does more pop type music. Boney and Richard are considered smooth jazz. Then there is the very very traditional old sax players but I don't know a lot about them. Heck...I forgot another one who is excellent and I've gone to his concerts and have his cds too...Dave Koz. Everyone likes him and again you can't go wrong with any of his music. My favorite album of his is- The Dance and I play it a lot. Good luck to you.
    ...See More

If you like farm tractors and music you'll get a hoot out of this

Q

Comments (8)
    What a hoot. My toes were tapping the entire time. As my teen daughter said "it's such a happy tractor." Thanks Tom.
    ...See More

Musical Chairs--Need Serious Help with Family Room Arrangement

Q

Comments (4)
    The arrangement in #4 looks comfortable & welcoming. I think the leather chair looks better near a wall to anchor it since it has such a large profile. I think you are right - the room needs to be pulled together with colors. You could consider reupholstering the chairs in a fabric that picks up the color of the leather chair & the gold curtains. Maybe add red ball fringe to the inside edges of the curtains? Again, you are right - the color of the sofa contributes nothing to the other colors. YOu could try a slipcover, again repeating the color of the leather chair or the curtains. Once you have your fabrics you can determine a paint color that picks ups one of your dominant colors - just softer. I think the table lamps look better at the ends of the sofa rather than popping up in the middle of the wall cutout. You really have some nice 'bones' here - it just wants a little refining.
    ...See More

help with music set-up

Q

Comments (6)
    Well that's the best DIY solution, but it can get pricey with that many Sonos Connects Amps. You are talking about $2999.94 total for Sonos. For a little less money you could buy any audio matrix and 8-zone distribution amplifier powered by a control system like Control4 or RTI that would so the same thing (and give you 8 zones if you felt short in any locations). You would have the added bonus of being able to integrate lighting, security, surveillance, pool, etc. at some point in the future. Generally we love Sonos as well and recommend it often, but if you get into too many zones it is actually the more expensive solution. With that many Sonos connect amps in one spot you would be signing up for an aggressive fan system to keep them cool as well if you want to preserver their life. Just an FYI.
    ...See More
  • Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I've made playlists for specific moods. In general, I like quiet, but sometimes I need music to help me work through a particular feeling or to sleep. For the car, I have a Nano loaded with upbeat tunes.

User thanked Fun2BHere
  • C Marlin
    6 years ago

Happy songs for me are Tina Turner and Queen.

User thanked C Marlin
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Queen!! Yes!! Bohemian Rhapsody and We Are The Champions absolutely require sing-alongs!!

User thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • lily316
    6 years ago

I prefer music from the 60's and 70's, the greatest decades of rock, IMO. I have my Sirius radio set to these stations and to the Beatles one.

User thanked lily316
  • oldgardener_2009
    6 years ago

I listen to Pandora for relaxation, especially the Instrumental Folk Radio station, which I find to be soothing and mellow for the most part.

User thanked oldgardener_2009
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

Rock from the mid-60s through the 80s plus big chunks of other styles too numerous to mention. Though, I'm not much into classical (besides the lighter and more popular pieces) and I can't listen to opera at all. Music is my biggest lifetime hobby/passion. I have a very large collection and I'm never without major parts of it ready to listen to wherever I am. Whether I'm home, or in a car, or on a trip, something is usually on and usually loud. Yes, my hearing is fine. I've always been careful about that and when playing my electric guitars, I don't stand directly in front of the amps and often use earplugs.

Oops, later post reminded me- There's no country and western in my collection, not a stitch. I can't listen to it at all. Not even as background music.

User thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    6 years ago

Cannot do Rap. Cannot do opera. I will listen and enjoy anything else.

User thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • Mystical Manns
    6 years ago

Early rock 'n roll, MoTown are favorites. Then there are old musical scores. Heaven help whoever is with me when I see a license tag from OAAAAKKKLAHOMA as I'll burst into song. My husband liked twangy country so I'm well versed in that too.

User thanked Mystical Manns
  • phoggie
    6 years ago

Oh those 50s and 60s when songs actually had words we could remember and understand!....good old rock and roll.

User thanked phoggie
  • User
    6 years ago

I recently discovered an artist that doesn't seem to be very well known but his music is all I want to hear lately, he goes by Emancipator.

This is one of my favorites
    Minor Cause

User thanked User
  • Uptown Gal
    6 years ago

Another Queen, Freddy Mercury, fan....and pretty much any music except

rap or most Country. Anything Billy Joel (have seen him 3 times in concert..

and will go again anytime.) And when I need peace...just about anyone singing

Hallelujah...but best by far by the Pentatonix. And, and, and. :) I have music

going whenever I am home. I-tunes and I are on a first-name basic. :)

User thanked Uptown Gal
  • sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    6 years ago

60s and 70s rock, especially the genius Jackson Browne

User thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • Michael
    6 years ago

While painting my garage door this AM I had several selections booming in the garage. I didn't get any complaints, so my neighbors might be listeners too.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and I Hate Myself For Loving You, Love Hurts and a few others by the hottest rocker ever.

User thanked Michael
  • kris_zone6
    6 years ago

I like most types of music, but not heavy metal. Right now Etta James is likely to be playing when I am working around the house.

User thanked kris_zone6
  • Michael
    6 years ago

Since Spotify, there's so much music opportunity out there I'm rarely listening to a favorites list from the past.

Cloves is just one example.

User thanked Michael
  • lovemrmewey
    6 years ago

Glad to see so many folks are including Classical! That's my training, grew up with it and still occasionally find new composers and compositions!

User thanked lovemrmewey
  • katlan
    6 years ago

70's and 80's mostly for me. Gets me toe tapping for sure. I just can't stand rap. Definitely not a fan of jazz or opera. Modern country is ok I guess. I have SiriusXM 70's on 7 on all the time on the TV when home.

User thanked katlan
  • seniorgal
    6 years ago

The generation gap is showing here!!! This 95- year- old lady doesn't recognize many of your favorites. I like classical music, some of the 40's singers and bands. When I want to relax and maybe nap for a bit I ask "Alexa" to play Perry Como. I enjoy James Galway on the flute. And, occasionally I ask Alexa to play some Burl Ives. Brings back happy memories.

User thanked seniorgal
  • veggiegardnr
    6 years ago

I play the piano, and I enjoy making music. But...

I hardly ever listen to music. I usually find the noise to be more of an irritant than anything else and I definitely don't find it to be motivating. I don't like it when people turn it on and I am forced to listen, especially when they turn it up to the point where I find it too loud. Having it on when I'm trying to work and need to concentrate will decrease my productivity. I don't understand those people who want it on all the time. I prefer quiet! :-)

User thanked veggiegardnr
  • andreap
    6 years ago

I used to cook very well while listening to Springsteen, his Asbury Park album. Being in a good mood helps it taste better.

There is a radio show called Divas with music from the 30's and 40's I used to play for my Mom every Sunday and still try to listen when I remember. I made her a CD when she was suffering from Alzheimers and she would smile and squeeze my hand listening to all the songs she and my late Dad would sing. April showers, You belong to me, Andrews sisters,etc. The nurses at the nursing home loved the Andrews sisters. I think my Mom got sick of that CD Boogey woogle Bugle boy; Chatanooga Choo Choo, etc.

I play piano and listen to classical, Debussy, Satie, Bach, etc. Love it.

But when I really need a break from stress I love to listen to John Prine!!! And Tom Petty too. And the stuff I grew up with in the 60's and 70's except I Hate disco. Just got Graham Nash's new album by contributing to PBS. Along with the old one I had as a teen. I had to buy a Neil Young CD years ago, to hear Down by the River. Just to take me back to my youth.

I just got a book of music to play by David Bowie. I so missed him and his early stuff. I wish I had three hands to play it properly.

My next thing is to look up Elgar's Sea Pictures. Thanks!

User thanked andreap
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

My taste in music is quite eclectic - my DGS was VERY impressed by some of the things on my in-car iPad on our long drive this summer. But at home, it's always the local classical music station, and on Sat afternoons, I follow the tradition of a lifetime, started by my late mother (a professional musician), and I listen to opera. I grew up on Texaco Opera Theater. Sorry it's now sponsored by Toll Brothers - hate their houses, but glad they sponsor the Met on the Air.

User thanked Anglophilia
  • irma
    6 years ago

Music to my ears is the sound of laughter from a toddler. I love it when my dear friend's daughter visits with her little guy. That brightens up my whole day.

User thanked irma
  • Uptown Gal
    6 years ago

Just thinking about more I really like...Adele and Pink have a couple of songs I

never get tired of hearing. Still love all the old ones by the Beatles, Beach Boys and love some of Lukas Graham. And, of course, Sting, Foreigner. :)

User thanked Uptown Gal
  • Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I enjoy SiriusXM in the boat or car. I had to laugh.... over the summer they changed one station to "Yacht Rock". Most of the music had sailing or water themes. They had an announcer who made fun of themselves by using a Connecticut-lockjaw kind of snobbish voice when he said, "Yacht Rock, we use to be soft rock until the investments paid off". I laughed every single time.

User thanked Elizabeth
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Yeah, classics of our youth have a special place. But, there is so much excellent music still being made by today's musicians! I urge everyone to get out of your comfort zone once in a while, try something different and random, or dip into a genre you don't think you like. What have you got to lose, but a few minutes of your day?

I love music, but I also appreciate hours of a good book and just plain quiet.

User thanked nickel_kg
  • lily316
    6 years ago

I love almost all kinds of music except for rap and country. Of course the Stones, Beatles, Grateful Dead ,Beach Boys, almost every group from that era. I also love the Bee Gees and ABBA.

User thanked lily316
  • nicole___
    6 years ago

I have ALL kinds of Classical to heavy metal music loaded on my MP3 player for when I'm working construction or on the treadmill. That music is joyful and I'm happy, tapping my foot or swaying & popping when I listen to it...:0)

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut "THIS" song gets me going...says I have NO right to be down...or to stay down...this one DOES IT FOR ME: Shinedown, Sound Of Madness

"When are you going to wake up and fight for yourself?" the song says.

User thanked nicole___
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I have hesitated to weigh in because my tastes are eclectic with many of my selections being quite boring- like my affinity for 80s New Wave- and many others being classic/opera- Wagner and Offenbach for some moods, Chopin, Mozart and Rachmaninoff for others. Then there is Nine Inch Nails for running and Carly Simon for pretending I can sing in the shower.

Like many people, I gravitate toward music of my "youth" for a pick me up. It puts me right back to those moments of clear open possibility and energy- that would be the 80s for me.

User thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

I have a very wide range of music types I like. Very few are totally eliminated. You can generally find at least one person with talent in a category. Least favorites would be rap, techno, metal, indie. Loves are rock, blues, zydeco, Cajun, country, motown, New Orleans jazz, certain classical, 70,80,90's, soul. I love good dancing music, I used to be a really good dancer, now I have to chair dance lol. I don't listen to music as much these days I do enjoy quiet times.

User thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • anoriginal
    6 years ago

for me, it's music to drive by. if planning a road-trip, getting music ready comes right after gassing up car. too many to list here!

User thanked anoriginal
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Anoriginal, I would love to go on a road trip with you!

We've got the same kind of taste...

I so wish I could remember songs BEFORE they come on the radio so I could actually have a decent list... :(

I admit to being in awe of those who have an ipod (do we still use those or...?) with more than three songs...

• ntt_hou
    6 years ago

I enjoy listening to classicals, ballads, pops & new age music not only from the US but international ones as well. After all, I'm not all American.

Last year, during the "Tax Day Flood", my home was flooded. It was my first experience and had a big impact on me. Although, my home had minor damage but still, it brought me loads of stress. I had a lot of cleaning to do within very little time. The only music that was able to sooth & calm me down was Yiruma, a Korean pianist. I just couldn't listen to anything else while doing the work. His music made a huge difference in keeping my sanity during that rough time.

User thanked ntt_hou
  • micheletx
    6 years ago

The soundtrack to The Big Chill is my go to music when I need to get away from the craziness in the world.

User thanked micheletx
  • anoriginal
    6 years ago

no iPod here. i love THIS... for the song and sheer precision of syncing film and music!

User thanked anoriginal
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

omg I just watched this this morning!

(it popped up on the side when I was listening to September...)

• aok27502
    6 years ago

I don't listen to music often, but it's usually the 70's and 80's station. I played classical piano as a kid, so sometimes it's Beethoven. I was force fed the music of the crooners by my parents. I always loved the Rat Pack, Tony Bennett, Andy Williams.

I don't have any sort of music player or streaming service, so if I want new music, it's youtube. I've wondered if there are still people making music in the style of the crooners, big band, etc?

I'm going to look up some of these.

User thanked aok27502
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

aok27502, perhaps try Pokey LaFarge. He writes his own songs, but borrows much of his style from the past. This is a fun one about the high cost of medical care: Pokey LaFarge - Close the Door

User thanked nickel_kg
  • aok27502
    6 years ago

OMG, I just watched the Old Movie Stars Dance to Uptown Funk THREE times!! Not only is the editing amazing, but the original dancing is so much fun to watch.

Pokey LaFarge is a bit too close to old time country/bluegrass for me. But thanks for the recommendation, it brought up some others on the sidebar.

User thanked aok27502
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Glad you tried it, aok, and hope it led to something you liked better :-)

User thanked nickel_kg
  • andreap
    6 years ago

Benny Goodman did this with Fred and Ginger, 1935. I like it better than the Uptown Funk, but I am picky and old-fashioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Z1DWIgfCs

User thanked andreap
  • anoriginal
    6 years ago

i'm a teacher aide with HS kids. one day teacher had music playing while kids worked on some kinda project. didn't realize I was singing out loud until one of the girls started clapping!

User thanked anoriginal
  • anoriginal
    6 years ago

or about any song from "The Blues Brothers" sound track... NUTHIN beats some really good gospel music. if you aren't almost instantly tappin' your toes, chair dancing and or clapping ( on the 2 & 4 PLEASE)... you better check your PULSE!! Disturb the PEACE!!! and Belushi actually could do those flip things!

User thanked anoriginal
  • aok27502
    6 years ago

OK, YOU PEOPLE have ruined my day. I must sit here for hours and watch Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dance. Thanks a bunch. :p :)

User thanked aok27502
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

oh there are lots of different things I like. I can have periods I'm really into somethiing/somebody and listen and listen only to them. or I can be in kinda silence mode.

I do love rhythm and associate music with road trips a lot. but depends of course. what mood am I and all

Dire Straits, Queen, Rolling Stones...The Cure..I did love Beatles a lot.

Simon and Garfunkel. Kate Bush

have favorite Hebrew singers, French( older songs by Mylene Farmer (latest albums I don't listen to already, too techno for me, with some exceptions), some by Serge Gainsbourg....Charlotte Gainsbourg as well..Chat..Zaz..), Russian..(prefer singers-songwriters but some bands too, especially the ones I listened too when being a teenager..some of them still perform)

I can have nostalgic evenings when I listen exclusively to Hebrew for example. can be contemporary or psalms..depends on what mood I am in.

It appears I love country . I love ballads, folk, indie folk. Lately listen to it a lot, both very gloomy and more upbeat. I like gloomy a bit scary and maybe a bit weird. And I love songs with a a feeling of anthem to them. some desperate hopeful glory. It's very life-like if they're good..

I love great lyrics..I love Anaïs Mitchell for example. A lot.

Together with that I have a special dancing list, can be something very old like 30s or 40s, or can be 80's or 90's or now. And these are very happy:) Well at least melodies are..words don't have to be lol.

I love kids' songs too:) Like, even toddlers' songs:) We can sing them with our kids on the road trip too. Even though my kids are pretty big. It's just a cool feeling.

I'm not very musical-I remember plenty songs by heart and feel the melody but can't really sing it right..I'm not talented in it at all, so it's not like I understand in genres very well. I just start being into something, and it either holds for many many years, or for several only.

My father was very musical though and my brother is, and kids are too..(the gene is kinda lost on me only lol)..some friends are very very much into music as well..so I'm influenced of course, or I can just stumble onto something and get hooked.

(this forum I never even knew existed until last week or so)

User thanked aprilneverends
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

PS road trip song I love..:)

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

or this which is very very different but there is something that touches me deeply..

• User
    6 years ago

Link to Janet Baker singing the third of the Sea Pictures, Sabbath Morning at Sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh0BJmhzT1A

User thanked User
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH