SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thephotographyexpert

When to mow new grass? Grass is always wet

Matt White
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have put a brand new lawn on an area roughly 0.6 acre (about 1-2 inches of topsoil mixed with compost). Grass is growing fine and I did everything correctly I think up to this point (installed 15 zone underground sprinkler, used the right fertilizer and right seeds i.e fescues for shade and sun shade mix other areas). My grass grows very fast (see germination in as little as 5 days and they are 2" tall by 2 weeks).

The issue I have is the grass is way too wet. I water it twice or three times a day for the first 3 weeks and after that once every 3 days but its always moist and lawn mower and my feet leave marks. I mow it at 3" not shorter because before in my first attempt I mowed it 2" and also never used fertilizer and in 3 months they died.

The other problem is about half of my yard is sloped. Mix that with moist grass, the lawn mower wheels do a lot of damage ripping the soil while turning.

Questions:

1- Should I simply not water for a week for grass the dry?

2- If the grass get 5-6" tall, is that bad for it? I want to avoid stepping on it as long as I can. But I am afraid of killing the grass if I dont mow it.

3. Do i need a zero turn mower? The lawn mower I have is a pretty good one (its honda 4-1 which sells for $800), but because it doesnt have a differential, basic law of physics when it tries to turn the inside wheel spins and destroys the soil.

4. Right now I use a starter fertilizer and follow with the same starter fertilizer in 4 weeks and then 4 weeks aftee that I will use regular fertilizer. Is this OK?

5. The grass seems too fragile and thin, I m guessing with time they will get thicker?

Comments (6)