SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_42918661

The National Anthem is difficult to sing and the diction is bombastic

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Our national anthem is extremely difficult to sing well. It starts low, keeps dipping in and out of the low register, and one is always hammering at the break between the low and middle registers (the line "whose broad stripes and bright stars" and then at the end one has to ascend to that note on "free," after all that register crashing, and the "ee" sound is a hard vowel for that passage area between the middle and high registers. Now, I am talking about the anthem in its original key, but even if transposed, it still is very "rangy" and awkward. Kate Smith managed it well, but she sang it in the lowest key, being a true contralto, but of course she was known more for God Bless American. Plus the diction is of the worst late eighteenth/early nineteenth century bombast, like Wordsworth's late sonnets. Some examples: "O say, can you see" "perilous fight" "star-spangled"?

I remember in kindergarten and first grade we had to sing My country 'tis of thee every day after the Pledge of Allegiance, but of course the melody is God Save the King/Queen.

In first grade we learned America the Beautiful, which I sometimes thought would be a good replacement for the one we got now, but that line "fruited plain" cracks me up, and one has to say the ed in fruited so the line scans.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida