SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhizo_1

Trump was in Huntsville tonight.....

......to stump for a candidate in an upcoming Senate race. I watched the local coverage and his entire speech; he was very entertaining. Even my husband, a Trump voter, had to laugh at the unabashed ego of this man, at his outrageous lies, bragging, rambling.

He seemed to forget why he was there, even undermining the candidate at times. He asked if Luther was going to support his health care proposal, but didn't wait for an answer.....said, "I'll withdraw my endorsement if you don't help me."

Anyway, the longer he talked, the looser his mouth got. Sheesh, he loves to hear himself talk. I'm sure that Luther Strange was wishing he'd just shut up and go home, already.

They filled all of the seats, I think, but barely. Live coverage outside showed no lines or big crowds ever. The applause inside became tepid after the first thirty minutes and the crowd began thinning visibly. As usual, he claimed that there were thousands, thousands of people outside who couldn't get in. Probably closer to 0.

There was a healthy, vocal, but orderly crowd of protesters, some with very funny signs. Maybe those were the crowds he was referring to.

It was all extremely interesting; Trump was everything I could have hoped for, live and unedited.

Comments (60)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Strange rally for Strange.

Trump marveled at the full arena and said that there were “thousands of people outside who can’t get in.” Several arena employees who were outside at the time said that a couple hundred people could not get in after the doors closed, and they tried to watch the rally on a big screen outside but there was no audio, so they left.

“Thousands,” Trump said. “We’ve got thousands of people outside.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/09/23/i-love-alabama-its-special-at-rally-for-sen-luther-strange-trump-vents-frustrations-in-rambling-speech/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_pp-alabama-809am:homepage/story&utm_term=.c257d4956067

• lily316
    6 years ago

Dotard is the biggest loser of a president we have ever had. Wish he was on the Apprentice and we could say...YOU'RE FIRED!!!

• Related Discussions

Monday's Musin'

Q

Comments (6)
    endorphinjunkie, it sounds like you are doing the things you like to do, and the health benefits comes along with that. Our oldest DS is close to your age and he has had some health issues so he took up running and changed his diet.His health has improved dramatically. He ran his first Bay to Breakers in SF last week-end, he had a ball and a very good running time. We invited him to come to an art show in SF this week-end, and that is totally out of his sphere and comfort zone, but he had a good time. Try something new, to get your "musing" going. I like reading you posts.
    ...See More

Hell's Kitchen starts a new season tonight!

Q

Comments (35)
    Okay, I caught the last thirty minutes of the show....the guy that was kicked off was a major cry baby to me....loved the migraine excuse....mind you..I only watched the first maybe the second show. Is Jen the lady from last year that he paid to go through culinary school??? For some reason I'm thinking so...I only watched last season for the first time and I'm thinking she was/is the one??? The group did mess up the dinner service for tonight....big time.. if this was the first final group effort...I'm scared for all of them. I'm thinking some of this is played up but it is tv.... I will say the show teased me a little tonight. I may check it out again next week..to see what happens with the final group. Another Top Chef fan here....they do have their moments on that show too but I love the creative ideas the chefs come up with. I see they have a cookbook out....I'm thinking about buying it. David
    ...See More

Apprentice Tonight

Q

Comments (8)
    That was a crazy show. The lack of professionalism couldn't have been good publicity. Stephen Baldwin looked like a hypocrite in this episode and a few others. This started off as a joke, but then Vinnie took it to his own level. At that point, he became a complete jerk IMO. He could have bowed out at that point and said this has gone far enough. I don't like people like him who don't take responsibility and instead go whining to their bosses like he did when he tried to go see Trump. He did a lot of finger pointing, but when it came down to it, he made the decision to do the things he did. I had the least problem with Piers. He was childish, but didn't really waiver from the way he normally acts. The Trumps admitting that a bit of sabotage wasn't a bad thing couldn't be particularly good for his business. Then again the Trumps aren't known for being goody two shoes.
    ...See More

Sunset in Alabama, tonight!

Q

Comments (18)
    It was gorgeous here in Huntsville, too. But the sunrise was even more spectacular. PLUS this afternoon there was a bright halo around the sun, accompanied by two bright sun dogs!
    ...See More
  • ritamay91710
    6 years ago

Lily, hopefully we're getting close!! ; )

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think that we mostly watched it on our local NBC station, but picked it up on the other local channels, too, but maybe just at the beginning. We watch NBC for local evening news as they are the most professional/least annoying, in our opinions.

Surprised to hear from someone who was there about the crowds outside as local reporters indicated the opposite.

Original Author
    6 years ago

CindyMac....the summary you posted was perfect! See why I was laughing the whole time?

• nicole___
    6 years ago

He's actually VERY well liked here in Colorado, amongst the business owners and workers. :0) "Fake News" is now a part of our culture.

• lily316
    6 years ago

Colorado must be an anomaly because he is detested almost everywhere else. How could ANY one like this egotistical narcissistic braggart? Talk about Fake news. Every statement out of his mouth is a lie. He ever tweets the opposite of what he said earlier.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

lily....It's my understanding he doesn't even tweet his "own" tweets. He has an assistant do it....aaaaaaawwww to be so important....and rich. lol lol lol Sooooooooooo unrelatable.

• lily316
    6 years ago

At 3AM??? There's a book out there with every tweet he has ever done going back to 2009. Most are insane.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

I have this older, wiser friend, Cal. He related all the things wrong with Trump and I said, " Fake News". He said, "I listen to the same news YOU listen to".

• susanjf_gw
    6 years ago

don't care for him esp the way he treats current wife, and son...and the lies are so off the collar he ought give them on America's got talent, lol...maybe in his next life ...

• User
    6 years ago

No assistant. They're his own bits of madness.

There's a book out there with every tweet he has ever done going back to 2009.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/17/politics/special-report-trump-twitter-man-message-machine/index.html

• LucyStar1
    6 years ago

If you're a Democrat, Trump and his administration are comedy gold. AND they can't get anything done because of the Republican in-fighting.

While I would love to see Trump impeached and Kushner kicked out of the White House (and Ivanka) because of Mueller's investigation, it is actually better for the Democrats to not have Pence be President. Pence might be able to get something done. This way, we get to watch the Republicans run around in circles and eat each other alive.

• ritamay91710
    6 years ago

I agree LucyStar. I just cringe when people say Pence would be better. He's actually scarier. Donnie is just a bafoon at this point.

• Alisande
    6 years ago

I understand why many people regard Pence as scarier than Trump. But I can't help thinking Pence is less likely (a lot less likely) to get us into a nuclear war.

• lily316
    6 years ago

Maybe Mueller has enough dirt to get rid of Pence too. One can only hope.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, I am officially sorry for starting this thread and hold myself entirely responsible. I thought it was interesting and amusing.....heck, my husband and I, two people on total opposite poles of political dialogue, were able to watch and smile for nearly two hours together!

I am truly apologetic for offering a venue for 'haters' on either side.....many of us are sick and tired of the language used on both sides to attack the other side.

I used very poor judgement in offering my perspective on this local event to this forum. Would it be remotely possible to let this thread die?

Please?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I disagree. This is one of the better threads lately. Everyone seems civil. I like associating political beliefs with a name.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Alisande
    6 years ago

Rhizo, I don't know what you see in this thread that I don't see, but please don't feel responsible for anything posted on your thread. It's our choice whether or not we respond to it, and what we say. I agree with Joseph Corlett's post from this morning.

Before Trump ran for president I used to call him a cartoon. Many in his hometown of NYC view him that way. It was unthinkable that he could actually become the leader of the free world, and when we had to face that possibility, it was horrifying. So it's not surprising that a cartoon would be amusing, and I'm glad you and your husband can find some common political ground. I do laugh at Andy Borowitz's column in The New Yorker every week. But when I see the Trump clown himself, with all his self-aggrandizing, lack of impulse control, lack of respect for the truth, and lack of so many other things, the humor just drains out of me.

Now it's my turn to apologize for adding to your thread. I still think it's a good one, but I'll shut up for now.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7 thanked Alisande
  • blfenton
    6 years ago

Which one is speaking volumes - Kelly's body positions or Melania's death glare.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7 thanked blfenton
  • User
    6 years ago

Both!! (You have to have known I'd say that LOL)

• Suzieque
    6 years ago

Huh? I don't understand your most recent post, Rhizo. I don't see anything venomous or problematic in any of the responses. In fact, they're pretty mild. We all must know by now that posts about the current US president will result in emotions of all kinds.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7 thanked Suzieque
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

You said nothing wrong. I did question in my own mind how you could have watched him for more than 30 seconds, he's much more predictably annoying than anything else. I think everyone has heard him talk about himself more than enough, nothing worth listening to is ever said.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • User
    6 years ago

Pence is frightening. He would try and set up a theocracy

Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, thanks all. I am still extremely sensitive to the kind of vitriolic arguments heard and read everywhere I turned over the past year or more. I was a basket case for awhile, lol. I agree that this thread has been fine, after rereading.

I watched because my husband, whom I love dearly, has gone temporarily insane and wanted to watch him. I was in charge of the remote, though.

But I found Donald to be such a caricature of himself that it was mesmerizing in a bizarre kind of way. Not as good as Alec Baldwin, but still pretty funny. More than a couple of times Robert said, "Uh oh, here he goes again", when the guy went off on another ramble.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

You're right rhizo. I was watching him at the Pheonix rally and he really was a caricature. I don't think anyone is afraid of him anymore because he's just full of nonsensical bluster and that's what he sounds like - a whole lot of nothing.

And yes, it's a case of 'here he goes again'.

• lily316
    6 years ago

But the scary part is those who don't see him as a clown and a caricature.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

lilly316:

Too bad your dismissiveness won't allow you to appreciate some insightful analysis of Trump.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

Here's an epiphany I had recently: a person I know very, very well is a tRump supporter. He immerses himself in tRump rhetoric. Recently we saw on the local news a political rally of some sort with an on-the-spot live interview of some political figure. Just behind him, well within the view of the camera, was an individual displaying a large sign saying: "Not my Cheetohead!" I burst out laughing. The tRump supporter sitting beside me had no idea who or what Cheetohead was!

My point: tRump supporters are clinging to him relentlessly, refusing to see/read/listen to any derogatory comments about him. Blinders.

• ritamay91710
    6 years ago

Joseph Corlett......he's changing it all right. Into a total embarrassment for our country.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

I just returned from Europe. My trip included visits to several old friends in different countries. Their views were the same, Trump is a laughingstock among the peoples and governments over there. Europeans, in general, are much more astute and current about world politics. What's not laughable for them is concern about damage he could do to world order. The peoples there, of most political persuasions, are counting down the days remaining in his term with even more enthusiasm than the Democratic far left.

• Suzieque
    6 years ago

I, too, have traveled recently to visit relatives in another country. They told me that the general consensus there is that the US has a clown for a president and that he is an embarrassment. They acknowledge our strife vs calling us idiots for electing him, and they are with us in struggling through these 4 (hopefully!) years. But ... yes, they're laughing at us.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

"I couldn't possibly care any less as to what the rest of the world thinks."

Fortunately, most of our allies and other important countries in the world don't think or act this way but rather the opposite. It took the Brits a long time to realize they'd lost their empire and that their influence in the world had waned. The world tolerates us, though sometimes not, and certainly doesn't love us (and has no reason to) and the sooner that gets ingrained into our global conduct, the better.

• gyr_falcon
    6 years ago

I like associating political beliefs with a name.

Why?

It makes me sad the number of people that have lost my respect due to the things they have said politically, and personally, during the past year+. IRL, I guess it is better to know their true colors. In a forum, I believe it is not necessarily a positive asterisk.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I don't lose respect for people because they voted differently than I did or have different opinions. That's the problem, actually. Instead of believing that there are other good people who have different opinions, some folks believe that if you don't think and act like them, you are a Nazi racist baby-eating cannibal.

• nickel_kg
    6 years ago

gyr, I'm bad at remembering names in real life, and here on the forum too. That's an advantage when it comes to some things ... I can disagree strongly with someone's political view, and totally forget that when the subject is cute babies or problematic kids or favorite foods or ....

• nicole___
    6 years ago

Elmer....people abroad are always laughing at us/USA, where our president is concerned. I remember being on a yacht in Australia and a table FULL of Europeans told me THEY should be able to vote in OUR election because OUR politics impact THEM. :0) :0) :0) Yeah....I thought THAT was funny stuff! THEY didn't like our president THEN! Or....when I went back several years later. We'll be just fine. :0)

• gyr_falcon
    6 years ago

Joseph Corlett, you didn't answer my question, but that is ok. Your other comments infer, without specifically applying, that I don't accepted people with differing opinions. I have long accepted people with different ideology, as well as voting for both parties in politics. But much of what is crawling out of the woodwork now falls into the level of abhorrent and embraces a restriction of my, and other people's, rights. "Good people" do not harbor those types of views. So no, I no longer respect people when I discover they hold those types of "opinions or acts", any more than I would continue to respect someone that engages in domestic violence, pedophilia, fraud, etc.

• gyr_falcon
    6 years ago

nickel, I have had a lifelong problem with name to face recognition in person, but it is less a problem when read, name to text, such as is done in forums. I'm not referring to differences in political views on the pro-choice vs anti-abortion level. I've learned that some GW members are glad when police officers have no consequences for murdering blacks, and others support the shooting of police officers. Members have voiced the opinion that they don't care if people that cannot afford health care die and that the victims of natural disasters should be responsible for themselves, and not receive any federal assistance. Puppies, babies and kittens aren't enough for me to gloss those over.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

gyr_falcon:

Associating political beliefs with a name lets you know where your interlocutor is coming from so you get to know them better which is why I like it.

I didn't mention anyone specifically in my previous post, so there is no implication to you.

• Chi
    6 years ago

For me it's difficult to separate strong political beliefs from a person. I have many family members who support Trump and are very vocally anti-left and it's a big problem for me. I have to ignore it if I want to keep good relationships with them.

Even here on the KT my opinions about people have changed based on these types of threads, in positive ways for some and negative for others. I can still respect a person's right to an opinion but I would be lying if I said it didn't change how I feel about them and their personal ethics.

• User
    6 years ago

Many of you know here I dumped a friend I had known for more than thirty years because of this election. I don't know if she voted for the vulgar boor, but overall her views are pretty much aligned with Fox News. Fox News, or not, I had to draw the line at someone who holds racist views.

• Chi
    6 years ago

How people voted in such a divisive election can really reveal a lot about the very foundation of an individual. How someone feels about morality, race issues, government interference, social programs, etc. can really show someone's true character.

I don't know how you can consider that to be petty. Voting for the wrong pie at the county fair would be a petty reason to dump a friend. A presidential election is very different.

I'm stuck with family with opposing views but friendships are fair game. Just voting for someone wouldn't be enough for me to end a friendship but being vocal about things I strongly disagree with and insulting other viewpoints would be.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

I'm with Scott and chi on this one. Republicans have been disagreeable in disagreeing, so too their supporters. The Dems haven't been angels either but they haven't shown themselves (recently) to be as ignorant and erratic. Governing isn't a reality show where the game is the more outrageous, the better.

Here's a question for you - when is Trump going to stop holding campaign rallies and stop referring to the election that was what, now, almost a year ago? He really doesn't understand the job he has nor how to go about it.

• Chi
    6 years ago

Oh, he deleted his post so now mine about pettiness seems random!

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

Same thing happened to me on another thread today, done by someone different. And several others "regulars" seem to be in the habit of doing the same thing. It's annoying. For some of them, I'll bet the thoughts were - "I'll try saying this. If people agree, I'll keep it there. If people disagree, I may have to delete it."

The obvious thing to say is that people who don't have the courage to allow a comment to remain in a conversation, for no better reason than to allow others to react and respond for further conversation, shouldn't make the comment in the first place. It's cowardly to say something that people respond to and then delete that comment.

I think the person using the Joseph account is a she.

• gyr_falcon
    6 years ago

I think the person using the Joseph account is a she.

Why do you think that? And do you mean just the recent posts in KT were made by a female using Joe's account, or all of the posts under the account? Because Joe has been a contributor in GW forums for a very long time, including many detailed posts showing counter repair work, and I think even videos. I cannot say if someone else also uses that account, but I have not seen that.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

gyr, because of the nature of and words used in a post under that username within the past few days. I may be wrong.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

My DH pointed out a "Houzz" truck to me(doing construction work of some sort w/ THAT logo on the truck). Me thinks a lot of PRO accounts here, giving advice and hanging out on forums...may be paid/representatives employees of Houzz. They have to be careful.

I had a "Pro" respond to my recent post about a tiling project I'd just completed. He was nice until I posted photos showing the completed job, then he became rude & mean, thought only a professional could do such a job. People not in the trade would screw it up......yada....yada.......he then deleted ALL his posts on that thread....and a week later posted how wonderful it was. A total turn around.....:0)