SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Hurricanes, landlines, and hot water

writersblock (9b/10a)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I've often noticed here that a number of people mention emergencies like hurricanes as a reason for maintaining a landline phone.
I keep one, too, mostly because the cell service where I live is dreadful. However, for all those of you who think a landline is a reliable thing to have when the power goes out, Irma has proved that this is no longer true.

Cell service was only briefly interrupted during this storm, but I'm still without a landline, as are many people in adjoining counties, both north and south of here. The problem appears to be that ATT has cheaped out on their backup systems and did not have generators of sufficient power to protect their equipment (and all phones are now software-involved, for all that they pretend your landline is the same as ever it was.)
So I would not rely on landlines for essential communication anymore.

ATT has made it plain that even important services, like the food bank in WPB, are pretty low on their priority list for service restoration. The poor food bank down there was out almost a week and it must have been a nightmare for them to try to do their job.

As an aside, another point of interest in this storm was the effect of having single-handle mix valves with a tankless gas water heater. The water heater at my brother's didn't work when the power went out because it has electronic ignition, which would have been fine. It was hot enough for that not to be an issue.

However, we also discovered that this prevented any of their showers from having any water at all. The only way to get water was from anything that had separate hot and cold taps. Another thing to consider for the future if you live in a storm area.

Comments (32)